Upgrades to my current PC

11am

Budget (including currency): £1000

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: ARMA3, Forza Horizon 4, FIFA, GTA V. I don’t really use it for much else, to be honest. I would like to upgrade to 1440p gaming in the future, but I’m happy with 1080p for now as that’s what my current monitor is. 

Other details

At the start of our lockdown, I decided to build a PC on a budget to see if I’d actually use it. I’ve used it a lot and I’d like to upgrade and future proof myself somewhat. My current specs are;

• Ryzen 5 1600 af
  • ASRock B450M-HDV R4.0
  • XFX RX 580 8GB
  • ADATA D10 3000mhz 8gb x 2
  • Aerocool Bolt Case
  • ADATA 240GB SSD
  • WD Blue M.2 1TB
  • Seagate 1TB HDD
  • Be Quiet System Power 9 500w PSU

I’m going to definitely buy a new case, I hate mine, but it was cheap. I’m currently favouring the Coolermaster NR600. Other than that, I’m quite happy to take any advice thrown my way. The reason I’m after advice is because I don’t know anything about CPU bottlenecks and if a better GPU would require more power than my PSU can supply. Also, in case anyone notices, I was drunk when I bought the M.2 which is why it’s not an NVME drive. 

Thanks in advance. 

16 minutes ago, 11am said:

Budget (including currency): £1000

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: ARMA3, Forza Horizon 4, FIFA, GTA V. I don’t really use it for much else, to be honest. I would like to upgrade to 1440p gaming in the future, but I’m happy with 1080p for now as that’s what my current monitor is. 

Other details

At the start of our lockdown, I decided to build a PC on a budget to see if I’d actually use it. I’ve used it a lot and I’d like to upgrade and future proof myself somewhat. My current specs are;

• Ryzen 5 1600 af
  • ASRock B450M-HDV R4.0
  • XFX RX 580 8GB
  • ADATA D10 3000mhz 8gb x 2
  • Aerocool Bolt Case
  • ADATA 240GB SSD
  • WD Blue M.2 1TB
  • Seagate 1TB HDD
  • Be Quiet System Power 9 500w PSU

I’m going to definitely buy a new case, I hate mine, but it was cheap. I’m currently favouring the Coolermaster NR600. Other than that, I’m quite happy to take any advice thrown my way. The reason I’m after advice is because I don’t know anything about CPU bottlenecks and if a better GPU would require more power than my PSU can supply. Also, in case anyone notices, I was drunk when I bought the M.2 which is why it’s not an NVME drive. 

Thanks in advance. 

I'd say do not upgrade now. Ryzen refresh is coming september and 4000 in fall. So kinda pointless doing it now. Same for a gpu's as new ones are launching starting late august. So I'd say wait. Psu wise you are fine. Other than that a solid system.

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

I'd say do not upgrade now. Ryzen refresh is coming september and 4000 in fall. So kinda pointless doing it now. Same for a gpu's as new ones are launching starting late august. So I'd say wait. Psu wise you are fine. Other than that a solid system.

Thanks for your advice. I didn’t really know about the updates later in the year. 

19 minutes ago, 11am said:

Thanks for your advice. I didn’t really know about the updates later in the year. 

All you really need is a gpu upgrade for 1440p 60 and then you can see where to go from there. All else is plenty good.

8 hours ago, jaslion said:

All you really need is a gpu upgrade for 1440p 60 and then you can see where to go from there. All else is plenty good.

Is there one you’d recommend?

7 minutes ago, 11am said:

Is there one you’d recommend?

Yes but I'd wait since well you get TWO new gpu launches. Atm a nice boost would be a rx 5700xt but it is going to be replaced in mere months by something better so just don't buy it. Wait for now and see what happens make a new topic after the new cards and whatnot have launched.

6 hours ago, jaslion said:

Yes but I'd wait since well you get TWO new gpu launches. Atm a nice boost would be a rx 5700xt but it is going to be replaced in mere months by something better so just don't buy it. Wait for now and see what happens make a new topic after the new cards and whatnot have launched.

Fair enough. Thanks again!