HELP!! ASAP! MY PC RESET

Supahh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBL5MbmmOnk

I wanted to change my username, and I followed this video's instructions, and after I restarted my pc it had this message: 

img_59ae6e09866a3.jpg.fbd93d0b3fc6a655ed9f908c266493f1.jpg

This message went away after 2 more times of signing out & signing back in. I still have all my files, and programs downloaded. But my whole computer orientation is gone. My desktop background, all my chrome history, chrome passwords, game accounts, and all the information I stored in my notes app (which had hundreds of dollars worth of info)

I still have the "files" but everything is reset. SOMEONE PLEASE HELP! I want my pc to go back to how it originally was

Not this:

18d0161b9371b3687debbe4ecc60ff32.thumb.jpg.f634daa3252a442df071d6bf046f4fbd.jpg

9b60045d3dfd2efdd4f5a882b78d82ca.thumb.jpg.afe8d24ca33f3ec534a4291c8dee51d1.jpg

Everything is reset, but I still have my files. I want it to go back to how it was before. All I did was follow that video and go into registery to change my name, and it messed my whole computer up.

CPU: Intel i7-8700 

GPU: MSI GTX 1060 6GB GAMING X

Monitor: HP OMEN 25 144hz

RAM: 8GB G Skill

Motherboard: MSI B360 Gaming Arctic

Storage: 2TB Barracuda

Start-up: Samsung 250GB SSD

Case: Corsair Spec-Omega White

PSU: ThermalTake 750W Fully Modular RGB

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Tournament Edition X Chroma V2

Mouse: Razer Deathadder / Logitech G502

Speakers: Logitech Z200 White / Beats Earphones

You've literally changed your Windows profile folder to a newly created profile. What did you expect?

Step 1- Go back in the registry

Step 2- Change your profile folder back to what it used to be.

Step 3- Never mess with the registry again.

And don't store important info in a windows "note app". Keep that info in something like Keepass if it's worth any money.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

8 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

You've literally changed your Windows profile folder to a newly created profile. What did you expect?

Step 1- Go back in the registry

Step 2- Change your profile folder back to what it used to be.

Step 3- Never mess with the registry again.

And don't store important info in a windows "note app". Keep that info in something like Keepass if it's worth any money.

I changed the name back, but it didn’t seem to do anything. Everything is still the same.

Then it is possible, that Windows, in its effort to "fix" your mistake, decided to basically reset your profile. Even more so if you were using a Microsoft Account instead of a Local Account.

It is also possible that your files still exist within your profile folder, if you can manually find them and copy them over.

When you go in C:\Users, what do you see in there?

Personally I see two things, "Public" and my own profile folder.

You should see three things. Public, your original folder and the new profile folder.

Explore the original folder to see if your chrome stuff is there at the very least. (Isn't that stuff stored online, on your Google account? Or were you using Chrome unregistered?)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

10 hours ago, TetraSky said:

Then it is possible, that Windows, in its effort to "fix" your mistake, decided to basically reset your profile. Even more so if you were using a Microsoft Account instead of a Local Account.

It is also possible that your files still exist within your profile folder, if you can manually find them and copy them over.

When you go in C:\Users, what do you see in there?

Personally I see two things, "Public" and my own profile folder.

You should see three things. Public, your original folder and the new profile folder.

Explore the original folder to see if your chrome stuff is there at the very least. (Isn't that stuff stored online, on your Google account? Or were you using Chrome unregistered?)

Hey, nevermind. The first time I tried changing the name back, it didn't save for some reason so I tried again and it set it back to normal :). Thanks a lot for your help. I won't mess around with these types of things again. BUT, is there any way I can actually change the name of my C & D drive in Users without resetting everything?

10 hours ago, Supahh said:

BUT, is there any way I can actually change the name of my C & D drive in Users without resetting everything?

C drive and D drive can just be renamed with Right click > Rename.

In their case, the "path" doesn't change, it stays C:\ or D:\ , only the visual name changes in My PC.

4 hours ago, TetraSky said:

C drive and D drive can just be renamed with Right click > Rename.

In their case, the "path" doesn't change, it stays C:\ or D:\ , only the visual name changes in My PC.

I mean the name when you go into C or D drive > users > Folder With Your Name

It has no rename option

Just now, Supahh said:

I mean the name when you go into C or D drive > users > Folder With Your Name

It has no rename option

Why do you want to change the name of that folder? That's your User profile's folder.

It also shouldn't be in your D drive. That folder should only exist on your C drive. If it exist on the D drive as well, it means you also have Windows installed on that drive and you shouldn't touch those folders because it will screw with that windows install.

If you want to have a personalized username, create a local account and only use that instead of your Microsoft account. You'll need to either manually transfer your stuff over by exporting it in Chrome and what not, or give up on them.

14 hours ago, TetraSky said:

Why do you want to change the name of that folder? That's your User profile's folder.

It also shouldn't be in your D drive. That folder should only exist on your C drive. If it exist on the D drive as well, it means you also have Windows installed on that drive and you shouldn't touch those folders because it will screw with that windows install.

If you want to have a personalized username, create a local account and only use that instead of your Microsoft account. You'll need to either manually transfer your stuff over by exporting it in Chrome and what not, or give up on them.

I download a lot of programs and I'm scared that if I download a specific application, the owner will be able to see my name as the file path is usually like C>My name>program

4 hours ago, Supahh said:

I download a lot of programs and I'm scared that if I download a specific application, the owner will be able to see my name as the file path is usually like C>My name>program

They won't and even if they do, they are more likely to get your name from your ISP with your IP.

1 hour ago, TetraSky said:

They won't and even if they do, they are more likely to get your name from your ISP with your IP.

Thank you, what about programs owned by an independent person, not a whole company, will they be able to see my name etc

50 minutes ago, Supahh said:

Thank you, what about programs owned by an independent person, not a whole company, will they be able to see my name etc

It literally doesn't matter. I am really not sure why you seems to take so much that someone, somewhere, may have your name? Do you have any social media accounts where you use your real name ? If not you, then someone in your family that does and they've posted pictures of you with your name attached to them?

Because that is worse than some dev having just your name.

What does an indie dev have to care that you're called John Doe ? It's not like they can sue you with just your name. (Nor would they because it'd cost too much to sue every single pirates, the mains targets are the ones who distribute/sell pirated content)

If you're that scared of your info being given to the ones you've pirated the software of... Maybe don't pirate ?

Or just use a firewall to block access to the internet of said software. No internet access = No information shared.

10 hours ago, TetraSky said:

It literally doesn't matter. I am really not sure why you seems to take so much that someone, somewhere, may have your name? Do you have any social media accounts where you use your real name ? If not you, then someone in your family that does and they've posted pictures of you with your name attached to them?

Because that is worse than some dev having just your name.

What does an indie dev have to care that you're called John Doe ? It's not like they can sue you with just your name. (Nor would they because it'd cost too much to sue every single pirates, the mains targets are the ones who distribute/sell pirated content)

If you're that scared of your info being given to the ones you've pirated the software of... Maybe don't pirate ?

Or just use a firewall to block access to the internet of said software. No internet access = No information shared.

Alright thank you