Nvidia card for physx on an AMD system

xFluing

I was wondering if it would be possible to get a low power nvidia card like a 1050 or something to use it for physx while also having an AMD card in the system.

I want to know two things with this:

• If I could tell NVCP to only use the card for physx and nothing else
  • If having both nvidia and AMD would cause any driver issues or blue screens

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 | MSI B450 Tomahawk | Corsair LPX 16GB 3000MHz CL16 | XFX RX 6700 XT QICK 319 | Corsair TX 550M 80+ Gold PSU

PhysX is done on the CPU anyway in most games nowadays.

You'd just be causing potential driver issues, extra hassle, losing a PCIe slot and adding in a small bit of extra power consumption.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

Just now, Mateyyy said:

PhysX is done on the CPU anyway in most games nowadays.

You'd just be causing potential driver issues, extra hassle, losing a PCIe slot and adding in a small bit of extra power consumption.

Yeah because dropping my framerate to 15 because the game doesn't have an option to turn off physx is all I want (games such as antichamber)

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 | MSI B450 Tomahawk | Corsair LPX 16GB 3000MHz CL16 | XFX RX 6700 XT QICK 319 | Corsair TX 550M 80+ Gold PSU

6 minutes ago, xFluing said:

Yeah because dropping my framerate to 15 because the game doesn't have an option to turn off physx is all I want (games such as antichamber)

In most games where you can't turn it lower or off, it's a significant part of the experience or even game mechanics. I wouldn't recommend to run NVIDIA and AMD at the same time.

One cannot reason with those who don't.

It's a very known driver issue in dx9 games that use physx. No real fix. Adding a nvidia card is going to be a mess with drivers.

7 minutes ago, Stahlmann98 said:

In most games where you can't turn it lower or off, it's a significant part of the experience or even game mechanics. I wouldn't recommend to run NVIDIA and AMD at the same time.

Well yeah that's exactly why I want to run physx discretely so that the essential part of the game doesn't chug the whole game because execution time is slow AF on the CPU.

You certainly used to be able to run a hybrid setup with Nvidia card doing PhysX and AMD doing the main graphics. For a while it required hacked drivers, i dont know if that was ever lifted.

I'm sure it can be made to work, but a lot of the info about it is from 10 years ago when PhysX was a big thing.

Running AMD and NVidia drivers at the same time isn't really an issue anymore. Windows' stupid DM accounts for the majority of issues.

It's possible to specify which processor will do physX work. iirc it can even be specified on a per app basis.

Some games will have problems with physX and rendering being done on different cards. Only solution is to run the game and physX on the same card.

-アパゾ

If i recall correctly, Nvidia disable/block GPU Physx if it detect AMD GPU in your system. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |