Your next BMW might only have heated seats for 3 months

Here comes the Linus told you so on WAN show moment: BMW seems to be taking the first real step towards "cars as a service" by making safety and comfort features optional to buy for a limited/permanent time period. 

BMW mentioned everything from advanced safety systems like adaptive cruise and automatic high-beams to other, more discrete options like heated seats.

These options will be enabled via the car or the new My BMW app. While some will be permanent and assigned to the car, others will be temporary, with mentioned periods ranging from three months to three years. Some, presumably, will be permanent, but during the stream's Q&A portion BMW representatives demurred on the details.  

You may recall, BMW already demoed a program like this in 2018 by charging for limited-time access to Apple CarPlay. At the time I called this "next-level gouging" and I wasn't in the minority, the reaction being so negative that BMW eventually scrapped the program.

Jup, "next-level gouging" seems pretty to be pretty much on point

This "vehicle as a platform" approach may indeed save some consumers money, particularly in the lease-heavy luxury sedan space

Is this really the group of people that needs to save money? Seems like a lazy excuse to make more money in the end. Also "vehicle as a platform" seems to be the industry term instead of "cars as a service"? 

this approach could open the door even further into letting consumers get exactly the specification they want

I feel like there are already way too many options on cars, especially from German brands (though I myself am from Germany so I might not look at this subjectively).

However, the potential downsides are troubling, particularly when it comes to used car sales.

As we have seen with Tesla already.

First time posting here, so I'm not experienced with how to summarise the article, sorry for that.

My thoughts

Well, Linus told everyone and I personally don't see cars as a service not happening in the future. Still this is a terrible move for consumers, as BMW is basically just pulling the EA move here and putting micro transactions into their product.

Sources

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/bmw-vehicle-as-a-platform/

reinforces my thinking of not ever getting a BMW for the planet and bc they aren't worth the money.

Surprised that this is happening but weren't people surprised at Office 365?

please quote me or tag me @wall03 so i can see your response

motherboard buying guide      psu buying guide      pc building guide     privacy guide

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

RAM: 16GB DDR4-3200 CL-16

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.6GHz

SSD: 256GB SP

GPU: Radeon RX 570 8GB OC

Cinebench R23 score: 9097 (multi) 1236 (single)

don't some things look better when they are lowercase?

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

That is BS. Anyhow the feature is present physically on the car to do these feature. It takes maybe an hour or 2 to bypass a 12 volt to the heated seat and install a mechanical switch to turn it on and off. People will find third party device to control them anyway.

3 minutes ago, Franck said:

That is BS. Anyhow the feature is present physically on the car to do these feature. It takes maybe an hour or 2 to bypass a 12 volt to the heated seat and install a mechanical switch to turn it on and off. People will find third party device to control them anyway.

My first thought was hacks, cracks, and getting what I want anyway.

Only issue with that is who "owns" the car?  If you don't, then you are modifying their vehicle on lease.  Just don't get caught, no harm no foul!

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

2 minutes ago, Tristerin said:

Only issue with that is who "owns" the car? 

Question will be is the car your private property ? If yes you can do whatever you want. If it's theirs then that is more complicated. To search your vehicle a cop just need permission from the company as it's their property.

13 minutes ago, wall03 said:

bc they aren't worth the money.

The *only* way to buy a BMW is brand new, and only for however long the warranty is, after that, sell them quick because they will eat you alive in repairs.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Why everyone is losing their shit? Tesla has been doing this, Volvo is also doing this with their upcoming EV polestar (although only available as lease, you still pay extra for options IIRC). This is what premium segment will turn into, just BMW is being one of the first and biggest makes it headline worthy.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

1 minute ago, Radium_Angel said:

The *only* way to buy a BMW is brand new, and only for however long the warranty is, after that, sell them quick because they will eat you alive in repairs.

why is it the only way new? I am sure you can buy one used. Oh i see warranty.

please quote me or tag me @wall03 so i can see your response

motherboard buying guide      psu buying guide      pc building guide     privacy guide

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

RAM: 16GB DDR4-3200 CL-16

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.6GHz

SSD: 256GB SP

GPU: Radeon RX 570 8GB OC

Cinebench R23 score: 9097 (multi) 1236 (single)

don't some things look better when they are lowercase?

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

20 minutes ago, Franck said:

Yes, BUT you will probably not get as much for reselling the car/if you're leasing the car your probably not allowed to modify it in the first place. Might be able to reverse it without leaving any traces but overall its just an ugly way of "selling" features. Also this might work for seat heating yes, but the article also talks about safety systems and other stuff that's just comes down to software (e.g. heads up display).

29 minutes ago, Franck said:

It takes maybe an hour or 2 to bypass a 12 volt to the heated seat and install a mechanical switch to turn it on and off.

"Malfunction detected - car disabled until serviced" 🤣

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

1 hour ago, Franck said:

My thought exactly.

BMW is just shooting themselves in the foot with this and pushing away potentially savvy customers.
If this was a feature that relied on the internet to work, I might understand the "Service" part, but it's literally them taking a built-in feature and locking it behind a paywall...
I guess we don't own cars anymore either, we just have a "license"  to them.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

cars as a service is super wasteful and super stupid.
But that's part of why they've been making them more and more expensive.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

Seems about right for a BMW the car won't make it past 3 months without some issue anyway. They also don't really need to worry about the used market because resale for them is already crap the only people buying used BMWs are people who want to look rich.

If it's a perpetual license (and one that follows the vehicle), I won't be too upset (assuming that it allows it to be more competitive).

14 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

it's literally them taking a built-in feature and locking it being a paywall...

It would depend though.  It is sometimes cheaper to build thing in and then just charge for it to be unlocked than coming up with different SKU's or having to build in extra engineering to allow for not having the feature and also having the feature.  At least this way it allows one to upgrade in the future.

With all this said, I do feel this is a slipper slope (and BMW isn't exactly known for being cheap).

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

If the feature is in the vehicle but just turned off there will become a market to turn it back on for cheap. So in theory they can buy a base unit and have no features but since all features sitting in the car someone could go get them turned on by a friend and have saved thousands??? I dont see a problem other then its BMW and they are all overpriced.

3 minutes ago, wanderingfool2 said:

(and BMW isn't exactly known for being cheap)

This is the only thing that actually irritates me.  I at least would think that leading in to the future the car brands that look at themselves as being premium would be the ones to NOT include these kinds of money savings. But it seems as if that won't matter. 

BMW   Peak engineering 

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

47 minutes ago, White Brownie said:

but the article also talks about safety systems and other stuff that's just comes down to software (e.g. heads up display).

Yes those are more problematic. but vast majority of systems are replicable. Most of the big feature are possible to work around.

-The ACC (adaptive cruise control) use 1 to 3 radar sensor behind your front bumper to detect the distance. A newbie with an arduino board can figure this out and making the car accelerate or slow down that is trivial.

- the day/night light automatic on and off is a photosensor on the dash and the back of the car (not all cars) paired with a timer switch delay. After X second under certain voltage signal it switch the light.

- car seat heater is a relay switch which can be programmed to automatically turn on or off based on engine inlet air temperature sensor so under X degree it's on.

At least most of the useful one should easily be worked around.

I get the feeling you are less and less able to simply €&@#ing buy anything 

software, phones, games, consoles

and now even Cars

I think the trend is going too far 

Edit:  this is a bit exadurated

Edited by Drama Lama

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

3 minutes ago, Franck said:

-The ACC (adaptive cruise control) use 1 to 3 radar sensor behind your front bumper to detect the distance. A newbie with an arduino board can figure this out and making the car accelerate or slow down that is trivial.

Yes but no. Might be able to do it where you live but here in Germany if the officials catch you doing that I'm pretty sure your going to be fined heavily because of regulatory stuff.

11 minutes ago, White Brownie said:

Yes but no. Might be able to do it where you live but here in Germany if the officials catch you doing that I'm pretty sure your going to be fined heavily because of regulatory stuff.

TÜV Verstoß 

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

Ok, so cars will have DLC's and Season passes now. What's next, Feature Lootboxes? You'll buy lootboxes and you'll get random functionality for your car. You'll just have to buy more lootboxes to get the heated seats because you keep on getting dupes on A/C and tire repair kits. And you live in Iceland and your ass is freezing off 3/4 of the year. Still no luck in getting heated seats. BMW will soon have a sale on their lootboxes with double the chance of getting Elite Seat Features, maybe next batch of 10 lootboxes will grant me heated seats. Wish me luck everyone! I just hope I won't get 10 dupes of lumbar support...

I don´t know why people want a BMW. I would never buy a German car after German carmakers screwed us hard with the emissions scandal.

This is what's called rent seeking.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

If profitable (or deemed profitable by the relevant decision-maker), ideas spread from market to market no matter how bad they may be...

Let me introduce you to your next BMW:

Spoiler

semleragro_bronderslev-24676_1.jpg&f=1&n