Why Apple's move to ARM will Fail (Discussion and views)

Now, having kept a close eye on the recent developments in the Apple and Intel debacle. There are a few things I want to say, This is not a scientific approach or even journalistic approach to the matter but as someone who has been doing exactly this, keeping eyes on stock portfolios in the ''tech-sector'' , I do believe that Apple will fail in this matter, making this a cover up to go to AMD CPU's making Intel ultimately fail.

Now there are a couple of reasons why:

1. Having spoken to developers, they have seen the new kit Apple provided, they have assured me, no developer is waiting for this. They have enlightened me that even Pandora 2 is only vaguely effective, the fact that they have to code for ARM Chips as oppose to x86 has been a true challenge and a true headache, making for a stagnation  in developement of apps. One of them, she assured me that it will take at least 5-10 years before things catch up in that regard. Now, people underestimate how big this move is, for the end-user , the normal consumer it's not an issue, but for the people that have to work on it, it will take perhaps a decade before things catch up, can Apple, and the industry as a whole afford this?

2.  This can be a decoy to go with AMD chips for the big horsepower in the future. Being Apple, Apple always has ways of doing things in the larger and bigger scheme, whether it be dodging taxes, being somewhat of a fashion brand as oppose to actually developing technology and being a brand that is driven on sales, as oppose to innovation. Which is  Totally fine, Without Samsung's engineers, decades ago the x86 (  Mind you x86 does come from the houses of AMD and not Intel, wouldn't  it be ironical that on the last legs of this architecture, which might now be the case or may not, it will fall in the hands of AMD again, this would be extremely fair regarding Intel really uses AMD technology for all of the foundations of their silicon, maybe something behind closed doors, maybe not, who knows)  Apple would not have been able to release products.

Now knowing this, why would they do this? Results speak for themselves, if under the table, Apple Has struck a deal to buy Chips from AMD for 50 dollars, as oppose to 100 dollars on the Intel side, for the same predictable performance, they would of course do this. How to do this without breaking one million contracts and becoming even more of the black sheep in the industry? Taking the loss. 

It is 100% much easier to Switch to AMD which will CUT COSTS for Apple, Intel however does know this. What can Apple do? Try to cover everything up with the ''Move to ARM''

Who are they kidding, the senior engineers all are thinking that this is the case. 

Apple is a Cost driven company, Cash is the reason why they breathe, now, if they can do something to cut the cost without losing their brand image, they will.

3.  ARM knows that this cannot be done in the foreseeable future. Without a huge capital injection from Apple, there is no way that the GPU performance can come anywhere near the ''Traditional'' x86. Now is

this a problem Yes,  this is a big problem, again, not for the consumer, but for the developers and professionals who I truly believe, make up a big enough chunk of Apples sales, that this WILL  hurt them!

Now again  once all ''Fails'' And, we stop and we do this and that. The people at Apple have already basically ditched Intel, in this, Intel will have suffered a big enough loss for Apple to say, ''You guys are no longer relevant'' And then proceed to go with the AMD counterparts, Making it kind of more sensible even, Apple and AMD have always had great relationships, I cannot see why not now AMD is on top again.

The 4th and most important reason:  Lawsuits, after a while, I am sure that Intel will Significantly feel this and start to Sue, Now Apple being the king of lawsuits, this won't be a problem for them, again , can this be the decoy to switch over to AMD, Questions questions and more questions!

Would love to hear you guys opinion and views on this! 

Interested in Business and Technology

I see them being successful in their move. The one part I am concerned about is gpu power but I wouldn't be surprised if they are doing a apple cpu + amd gpu combo for the bigger devices.

Developers will see this as a drag that is for sure power pc to intel was rough too in the beginning but a year or 2 after the move lower end intel macs were beating the best of the best g5s. Yes there was some stagnation in terms of software development but what happened afterwards was a huge boom. Just look at adobe and the move. Going from cs3 to cs4 wasn't that big but both cs5 and cs6 were massive improvements. Plenty of other examples out there but those were the easiest to spot.

Arm is now a very mature platform and they have one big trick up their sleeves that you haven't mentioned too. Microsoft. They are pushing for a windows arm experience and have been trying for ages. Now we finally have a somewhat usable windows experience finally (not great) but it works. That's the most important part. Both giant apple and Microsoft are pushing now to move x86 programs to arm. Which then puts pressure on developers to use more universal stuff so programs work on both.

Also performance concerns aren't really that big. Currently arm has basically just been for mobile passively cooled devices. But now they suddenly can have heatsinks and whatnot. The current performance we have seen from arm chipsets is pretty good but just imagine what a purpose built desktop arm solution could do without having to worry about heat.

Also the move to arm is cheaper for them as it will all be in house stuff then. So they have an even higher profit margin per device. Also they can then decide to make a cheaper device that won't compromise the apple experience they hold so high with low end specs that are actually enough to run the new mac os. Intel didn't exactly give them many options for that as their true cheap mobile cpu's are kinda ancient and just garbage.

You must understand that Apple will be making their own ARM chips (Like they do already for their mobile devices) for their MacBooks. Saying that the performance that they want will take years to grasp is untrue as well. Apple design their operating systems incredibly well to gain the most out of their devices so I do not feel that this will be an issue. Apple (sadly) are not moving to AMD. 

About the GPU's as well... They are going into MacBooks remember.... When was the last time that you saw someone buy a MacBook purely for the graphical performance?

My Rig:

Xeon E5 1680 V2 @ 4.5GHz - Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 Mobo - 64GB DDR3 1600MHz - 8 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile - CAS 10-10-10-27 - AMD Radeon RX 6700XT Sapphire Pulse 12GB - DeepCool E-Shield E-ATX Tempered Glass Case - 1 x 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD - BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850W Gold+ Quad rail - Fractal Design Celsius S36 & 6 x 120mm silent fans - Lenovo KBBH21 - Corsair Glaive RGB Pro - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Monitors - 3 x Acer Nitro 23.8" 1080p 75Hz IPS 1ms Freesync Panels = AMD Eyefinity @ 75Hz

It's not a ploy to switch to AMD. If Apple wanted to switch to AMD, they'd do it. Like you said, if Intel chooses to sue the pants off of Apple, good luck to them. Apple is doing this for the same reason that their various OS platforms are only available (officially) on Apple hardware. They want 100% control of their hardware and software ecosystem. Going ARM gives them that. Going AMD leaves them dependent upon another OEM, which may or may not go through a dark age like Intel did between Sandy Bridge and Kaby Lake. Zero major gains, zero innovation, just marginal performance improvements based as much on clock bumps as IPC growth. By going with ARM, they dictate the pace of development. By staying with Intel or AMD, they risk a situation like they had with Intel, where the CPUs in their 2017 MacBook Pros aren't appreciably better than the CPUs in their 2011 MacBook Pros.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

I disagree. I have a feeling that this is going to completely shift the computer market, and I think Apple is going to be very, VERY successful with ARM (especially as I agree with Linus's tinfoil hat theory about them slowing down their Intel macs and making them look like it's Intel's fault and not Apple's intentionally bad engineering/cooling/etc to make ARM look better when it launches).

Honestly, I haven't been this excited for any computer hardware stuff in a very, very long time. I am a huge supporter of ARM and I personally believe that the most limiting factor is that the vast majority of ARM devices are locked-down phones and stuff.

Also, one big thing I am curious about is how much battery life they can squeeze out. 

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

1 minute ago, Brennan Price said:

You must understand that Apple will be making their own ARM chips (Like they do already for their mobile devices) for their MacBooks. Saying that the performance that they want will take years to grasp is untrue as well. Apple design their operating systems incredibly well to gain the most out of their devices and even lower powered ships so I do not feel that this will be an issue. Apple (sadly) and not moving to AMD. 

About the GPU's as well... They are going into MacBooks remember.... When was the last time that you saw someone buy a MacBook purely for the graphical performance?

I feel like the GPU's will be so weak on the ARM chips, It won't even be able to handle Youtube at 4k, We will see but I really do believe this is a big decoy

Just now, kelvinhall05 said:

I disagree. I have a feeling that this is going to completely shift the computer market, and I think Apple is going to be very, VERY successful with ARM (especially as I agree with Linus's tinfoil hat theory about them slowing down their Intel macs and making them look like it's Intel's fault and not Apple's intentionally bad engineering/cooling/etc to make ARM look better when it launches).

Honestly, I haven't been this excited for any computer hardware stuff in a very, very long time. I am a huge supporter of ARM and I personally believe that the most limiting factor is that the vast majority of ARM devices are locked-down phones and stuff.

Also, one big thing I am curious about is how much battery life they can squeeze out. 

That's why this is a discussion topic, Good view :P 

1 minute ago, SSOB said:

I feel like the GPU's will be so weak on the ARM chips, It won't even be able to handle Youtube at 4k, We will see but I really do believe this is a big decoy

Phones can easily do 4k YouTube, those are all ARM based.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

1 minute ago, SSOB said:

But we now have phones with 4K screens and they can play 4K video just fine... I really don't see what the issue is. 

My Rig:

Xeon E5 1680 V2 @ 4.5GHz - Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 Mobo - 64GB DDR3 1600MHz - 8 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile - CAS 10-10-10-27 - AMD Radeon RX 6700XT Sapphire Pulse 12GB - DeepCool E-Shield E-ATX Tempered Glass Case - 1 x 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD - BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850W Gold+ Quad rail - Fractal Design Celsius S36 & 6 x 120mm silent fans - Lenovo KBBH21 - Corsair Glaive RGB Pro - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Monitors - 3 x Acer Nitro 23.8" 1080p 75Hz IPS 1ms Freesync Panels = AMD Eyefinity @ 75Hz

As a programmer myself. I feel like the CPU architecture does not have a huge impact on my ability to make software for it.

Now, this only holds true for non performance critical software. Something like Autodesk 3DS Max or Maya or Adobe's suite definitely has optimization specifically targeted at the CPU architecture and will need significant rework to make them usable. But for the random developer writing software, it won't effect too much. (We already have most x86 software on the Raspberry PI on the Linux side of things.)

As for the GPU issue, ARM does have PCI Express and thus, can run any desktop GPU. I can totally see them using an AMD or nVidia GPU chip paired with their ARM processor.

2 minutes ago, SSOB said:

Phones can film in 8k nowadays and view it no problem. If you worry about gpu power nobody is stopping them in joining their cpu with a amd gpu (nvidia aint happening probably). Just like nvidia does on their shield devices and the switch.

3 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Phones can film in 8k nowadays and view it no problem. If you worry about gpu power nobody is stopping them in joining their cpu with a amd gpu (nvidia aint happening probably). Just like nvidia does on their shield devices and the switch.

PC's  do not run iOS or Android

4 minutes ago, jaslion said:

If the shield were to run Windows or MacOS , it would be worth a potato

3 minutes ago, SSOB said:

Yes so? The surface x plays back 8k video on youtube fine?

3 minutes ago, SSOB said:

If the shield were to run Windows or MacOS , it would be worth a potato

We basically have a nvidia shield tv running windows called the Microsoft surface x. It's good enough but a first gen product. Windows 10 x will most likely help a ton for those devices.

There's one very good reason why it wont fail. The majority of Apple users don't care what the system is running and probably won't notice the change either. The Apple crowd will continue to buy millions of iMacs a year no matter what Apple do to them and Apple will claim victory because profits have increased since the change.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

I guess there are some things not quite clear to you, let's try to break it down:

54 minutes ago, SSOB said:

1. Having spoken to developers, they have seen the new kit Apple provided, they have assured me, no developer is waiting for this. 

What kind of devs? For iOS devs, having an ARM Mac would be a dream come true, and those are the ones apple cares the most.

For webdevs, some tools may run slower, but they're actually used to it and it won't make that much of a difference.

Sysadmins and the likes won't care at all, as long as their tools still work (and most tools in the UNIX world already have ARM ports).

2.  This can be a decoy to go with AMD chips for the big horsepower in the future.

That sounds like a weird conspiracy. if they wanted to, they'd have done it already. Going with AMD would still mean chips that are more expensive than an in house one, and would leave them at mercy of what AMD can or can't do, instead of pulling the reins on the whole chain by themselves. This also allow them to have all of their custom IPs in a single chip for a lower price.

3.  ARM knows that this cannot be done in the foreseeable future. Without a huge capital injection from Apple, there is no way that the GPU performance can come anywhere near the ''Traditional'' x86. Now is

ARM has PCIe, so they can simply slap an AMD GPU in there like they have done before, so I don't see what's the problem? Also keep in mind that apple forced everyone to use Metal for anything graphics on Macs, so an architectural change won't matter on the graphics side since the API calls are still the same.

42 minutes ago, SSOB said:

35 minutes ago, SSOB said:

Media decoding is done in 2 ways: Software decoding, which is slow and CPU taxing, or hardware decoding, which is what most stuff relies on. Those hardware decoders are individual custom chips built into GPUs, and are usually the same for an entire generation. That means that a almighty and powerful gtx 980ti or even a Titan X will crap the bad to play a VP9 1080p video (as in, won't be able to play at all and will leave all the work to the CPU), while a gt 1030 will do so flawlessly, since it has the same NVDEC engine as any GPU on the pascal family (so it's able to play as much 4k videos as an Titan Xp).

Knowing that, Apple has tons of custom IPs to accelerate stuff instead of relying on the CPU or GPU (media engines, neural processors, security processors, etc etc), so it will be able to play 8k videos without breaking a sweat.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

Haven't ARM already started getting pretty decent traction in the server/infrastructure/distributed computing space? 

[ P R O J E C T _ M E L L I F E R A ]

[ 5900X @4.7GHz PBO2 | X570S Aorus Pro | 32GB GSkill Trident Z 3600MHz CL16 | EK-Quantum Reflection ]
[ ASUS RTX4080 TUF OC @3000MHz | O11D-XL | HardwareLabs GTS and GTX 360mm | XSPC D5 SATA ]

[ TechN / Phanteks G40 Blocks | Corsair AX750 | ROG Swift PG279Q | Q-Acoustics 2010i | Sabaj A4 ]

P R O J E C T | S A N D W A S P

6900K | RTX2080 | 32GB DDR4-3000 | Custom Loop 

42 minutes ago, igormp said:

I guess there are some things not quite clear to you, let's try to break it down:

What kind of devs? For iOS devs, having an ARM Mac would be a dream come true, and those are the ones apple cares the most.

For webdevs, some tools may run slower, but they're actually used to it and it won't make that much of a difference.

Sysadmins and the likes won't care at all, as long as their tools still work (and most tools in the UNIX world already have ARM ports).

That sounds like a weird conspiracy. if they wanted to, they'd have done it already. Going with AMD would still mean chips that are more expensive than an in house one, and would leave them at mercy of what AMD can or can't do, instead of pulling the reins on the whole chain by themselves. This also allow them to have all of their custom IPs in a single chip for a lower price.

ARM has PCIe, so they can simply slap an AMD GPU in there like they have done before, so I don't see what's the problem? Also keep in mind that apple forced everyone to use Metal for anything graphics on Macs, so an architectural change won't matter on the graphics side since the API calls are still the same.

Media decoding is done in 2 ways: Software decoding, which is slow and CPU taxing, or hardware decoding, which is what most stuff relies on. Those hardware decoders are individual custom chips built into GPUs, and are usually the same for an entire generation. That means that a almighty and powerful gtx 980ti or even a Titan X will crap the bad to play a VP9 1080p video (as in, won't be able to play at all and will leave all the work to the CPU), while a gt 1030 will do so flawlessly, since it has the same NVDEC engine as any GPU on the pascal family (so it's able to play as much 4k videos as an Titan Xp).

Knowing that, Apple has tons of custom IPs to accelerate stuff instead of relying on the CPU or GPU (media engines, neural processors, security processors, etc etc), so it will be able to play 8k videos without breaking a sweat.

1. MacOS devs

2.Of course, As I stated, all conspiracies at this point

3. No, It doesn't work like that, also watch Dave2D's video, good explanation on the situation

4.Doesn't matter, It's about the developing for the platform, NOT the actual use once the ''program/app is done''

1 hour ago, SSOB said:

1. MacOS devs

2.Of course, As I stated, all conspiracies at this point

3. No, It doesn't work like that, also watch Dave2D's video, good explanation on the situation

4.Doesn't matter, It's about the developing for the platform, NOT the actual use once the ''program/app is done''

1. Those would love ARM based Macs so they could get rid of the overhead while running the iOS emulator.

3. Dude, what are you talking about? PCIe doesn't care about architecture, there are many ARM, Power and even Risc-V CPUs with PCIe slots that are able to run your regular AMD or Nvidia card.

Edit: just saw the video you mentioned, it was really superficial and mostly caters to regular consumers, only mentioned integrated graphics and I don't see how it relates to what I talked about?

4. Cross compiling is easy nowadays, really. When it comes to web, it doesn't even matter because most of the time you're dealing with interpreters. Also, apple has a nice grasp on the devs that target their platforms, they can break an entire API and make everyone move onto the next one pretty easy (at least when compared to windows or linux).

Edited by igormp

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

ARM is the future x86 will be obsolete if not the open-source competitor will make ARM obsolete... :P (when devs bother to patch their game to support ARM we will finally get some usable benchmarks)

Lake-V-X6-10600 (Gaming PC)

R23 score MC: 9190pts | R23 score SC: 1302pts

R20 score MC: 3529cb | R20 score SC: 506cb

Spoiler

Case: Cooler Master HAF XB Evo Black / Case Fan(s) Front: Noctua NF-A14 ULN 140mm Premium Fans / Case Fan(s) Rear: Corsair Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition (red) / Case Fan(s) Side: Noctua NF-A6x25 FLX 60mm Premium Fan / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo / CPU: Intel Core i5-10600, 6-cores, 12-threads, 4.4/4.8GHz, 13,5MB cache (Intel 14nm++ FinFET) / Display: ASUS 24" LED VN247H (67Hz OC) 1920x1080p / GPU: Gigabyte Radeon RX Vega 56 Gaming OC @1501MHz (Samsung 14nm FinFET) / Keyboard: Logitech Desktop K120 (Nordic) / Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B460 PLUS, Socket-LGA1200 / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 850W / RAM A1, A2, B1 & B2: DDR4-2666MHz CL13-15-15-15-35-1T "Samsung 8Gbit C-Die" (4x8GB) / Operating System: Windows 10 Home / Sound: Zombee Z300 / Storage 1 & 2: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD / Storage 3: Seagate® Barracuda 2TB HDD / Storage 4: Seagate® Desktop 2TB SSHD / Storage 5: Crucial P1 1000GB M.2 SSD/ Storage 6: Western Digital WD7500BPKX 2.5" HDD / Wi-fi: TP-Link TL-WN851N 11n Wireless Adapter (Qualcomm Atheros)

Zen-II-X6-3600+ (Gaming PC)

R23 score MC: 9893pts | R23 score SC: 1248pts @4.2GHz

R23 score MC: 10151pts | R23 score SC: 1287pts @4.3GHz

R20 score MC: 3688cb | R20 score SC: 489cb

Spoiler

Case: Medion Micro-ATX Case / Case Fan Front: SUNON MagLev PF70251VX-Q000-S99 70mm / Case Fan Rear: Fanner Tech(Shen Zhen)Co.,LTD. 80mm (Purple) / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: AMD Near-silent 125w Thermal Solution / CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600, 6-cores, 12-threads, 4.2/4.2GHz, 35MB cache (T.S.M.C. 7nm FinFET) / Display: HP 24" L2445w (64Hz OC) 1920x1200 / GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GD5 OC "Afterburner" @1450MHz (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / GPU: ASUS Radeon RX 6600 XT DUAL OC RDNA2 32CUs @2607MHz (T.S.M.C. 7nm FinFET) / Keyboard: HP KB-0316 PS/2 (Nordic) / Motherboard: ASRock B450M Pro4, Socket-AM4 / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 550W / RAM A2 & B2: DDR4-3600MHz CL16-18-8-19-37-1T "SK Hynix 8Gbit CJR" (2x16GB) / Operating System: Windows 10 Home / Sound 1: Zombee Z500 / Sound 2: Logitech Stereo Speakers S-150 / Storage 1 & 2: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD / Storage 3: Western Digital My Passport 2.5" 2TB HDD / Storage 4: Western Digital Elements Desktop 2TB HDD / Storage 5: Kingston A2000 1TB M.2 NVME SSD / Wi-fi & Bluetooth: ASUS PCE-AC55BT Wireless Adapter (Intel)

Vishera-X8-9370 | R20 score MC: 1476cb

Spoiler

Case: Cooler Master HAF XB Evo Black / Case Fan(s) Front: Noctua NF-A14 ULN 140mm Premium Fans / Case Fan(s) Rear: Corsair Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition (red) / Case Fan(s) Side: Noctua NF-A6x25 FLX 60mm Premium Fan / Case Fan VRM: SUNON MagLev KDE1209PTV3 92mm / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo / CPU: AMD FX-8370 (Base: @4.4GHz | Turbo: @4.7GHz) Black Edition Eight-Core (Global Foundries 32nm) / Display: ASUS 24" LED VN247H (67Hz OC) 1920x1080p / GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GD5 OC "Afterburner" @1450MHz (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / GPU: Gigabyte Radeon RX Vega 56 Gaming OC @1501MHz (Samsung 14nm FinFET) / Keyboard: Logitech Desktop K120 (Nordic) / Motherboard: MSI 970 GAMING, Socket-AM3+ / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 850W PSU / RAM 1, 2, 3 & 4: Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866MHz CL8-10-10-28-37-2T (4x4GB) 16.38GB / Operating System 1: Windows 10 Home / Sound: Zombee Z300 / Storage 1: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD (x2) / Storage 2: Seagate® Barracuda 2TB HDD / Storage 3: Seagate® Desktop 2TB SSHD / Wi-fi: TP-Link TL-WN951N 11n Wireless Adapter

Godavari-X4-880K | R20 score MC: 810cb

Spoiler

Case: Medion Micro-ATX Case / Case Fan Front: SUNON MagLev PF70251VX-Q000-S99 70mm / Case Fan Rear: Fanner Tech(Shen Zhen)Co.,LTD. 80mm (Purple) / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: AMD Near-silent 95w Thermal Solution / Cooler: AMD Near-silent 125w Thermal Solution / CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860K Black Edition Elite Quad-Core (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / CPU: AMD Athlon X4 880K Black Edition Elite Quad-Core (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / Display: HP 19" Flat Panel L1940 (75Hz) 1280x1024 / GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 SuperSC 2GB (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GD5 OC "Afterburner" @1450MHz (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / Keyboard: HP KB-0316 PS/2 (Nordic) / Motherboard: MSI A78M-E45 V2, Socket-FM2+ / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 550W PSU / RAM 1, 2, 3 & 4: SK hynix DDR3-1866MHz CL9-10-11-27-40 (4x4GB) 16.38GB / Operating System 1: Ubuntu Gnome 16.04 LTS (Xenial Xerus) / Operating System 2: Windows 10 Home / Sound 1: Zombee Z500 / Sound 2: Logitech Stereo Speakers S-150 / Storage 1: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD (x2) / Storage 2: Western Digital My Passport 2.5" 2TB HDD / Storage 3: Western Digital Elements Desktop 2TB HDD / Wi-fi: TP-Link TL-WN851N 11n Wireless Adapter

Acer Aspire 7738G custom (changed CPU, GPU & Storage)
Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo P8600, 2-cores, 2-threads, 2.4GHz, 3MB cache (Intel 45nm) / GPU: ATi Radeon HD 4570 515MB DDR2 (T.S.M.C. 55nm) / RAM: DDR2-1066MHz CL7-7-7-20-1T (2x2GB) / Operating System: Windows 10 Home / Storage: Crucial BX500 480GB 3D NAND SATA 2.5" SSD

Complete portable device SoC history:

Spoiler
Apple A4 - Apple iPod touch (4th generation)
Apple A5 - Apple iPod touch (5th generation)
Apple A9 - Apple iPhone 6s Plus
HiSilicon Kirin 810 (T.S.M.C. 7nm) - Huawei P40 Lite / Huawei nova 7i
Mediatek MT2601 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - TicWatch E
Mediatek MT6580 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - TECNO Spark 2 (1GB RAM)
Mediatek MT6592M (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone my32 (orange)
Mediatek MT6592M (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone my32 (yellow)
Mediatek MT6735 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - HMD Nokia 3 Dual SIM
Mediatek MT6737 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - Cherry Mobile Flare S6
Mediatek MT6739 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone myX8 (blue)
Mediatek MT6739 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone myX8 (gold)
Mediatek MT6750 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - honor 6C Pro / honor V9 Play
Mediatek MT6765 (T.S.M.C 12nm) - TECNO Pouvoir 3 Plus
Mediatek MT6797D (T.S.M.C 20nm) - my|phone Brown Tab 1
Qualcomm MSM8926 (T.S.M.C. 28nm) - Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE
Qualcomm MSM8974AA (T.S.M.C. 28nm) - Blackberry Passport
Qualcomm SDM710 (Samsung 10nm) - Oppo Realme 3 Pro

3 hours ago, Nena Trinity said:

ARM is the future x86 will be obsolete if not the open-source competitor will make ARM obsolete... :P (when devs bother to patch their game to support ARM we will finally get some usable benchmarks)

But is that going to be in the next 2 years? I highly highly doubt it