Can Another Ethernet Connection Slow My WiFi Down?

LewisBros

Hello ladies and gents, I hope you're having a fine day this Tuesday afternoon! I've looked around on Google and can't seem to find the right answer, so of course I knew I could come here to find the right answers. I have a TV that's connected through Ethernet to my Modem and my PC that's upstairs is connected through WiFi. I'm not that tech-savy when it comes to networking and such, so I was wondering if I'm on the right path by saying the Ethernet connection is using a part of my bandwidth and is a part of the reason I'm receiving poorer internet on my PC upstairs? My parents are watching a 4k movie and I'm playing R6 and I noticed that my ping was a bit higher than usual. I'm just not sure how Ethernet and WiFi are related in how they share bandwidth and wanted to make sure that the reason I was getting worse ping was because of the movie. 

Yes. Wifi and Ethernet are all part of your internet bandwidth. 

Imagine if ethernet did not count against your bandwidth. Every single person would switch to ethernet and start Torrenting Servers and such. lol

You are on the right track. The networked television is using bandwidth that could be used by your PC during gameplay. Wifi and Ethernet are essentially two different methods that computers use to communicate with other network hardware. I am assuming that both your machine and the television are connected to the same modem, which communicates via coax or satellite with your ISP. 

Unfortunately, your machine will never be able to connect to the internet at speeds that the television enjoys, simply because Ethernet is always uninhibited electrical signals, and wifi is just radio, which attenuates through walls and the air.

White Elephant

Crappy CPUAMD FX-6300

Inadequate Cooler: Coolermaster MasterLiquid Pro 120

Garbage Mobo: GA-990FXA-UD3 R5

Shitty RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3, 4 sticks, 2 black and 2 white

Stupid GFX card: EVGA GTX 750 Ti FTW ACX

Fire-Prone PSUEVGA 500W W1 80+

Ugly CaseNZXT S340 White

Slow StorageSamsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD

Components lost in the line of Duty

Broken Cold Cathode, Broken white LED strip, crumbly thermal compund, bent-up Hyper 212 Evo, Trashed Corsair Carbide 100R Silent, 12 dozen broken case fans

3 minutes ago, Foef_Yet_Flalf said:

You are on the right track. The networked television is using bandwidth that could be used by your PC during gameplay. Wifi and Ethernet are essentially two different methods that computers use to communicate with other network hardware. I am assuming that both your machine and the television are connected to the same modem, which communicates via coax or satellite with your ISP. 

Unfortunately, your machine will never be able to connect to the internet at speeds that the television enjoys, simply because Ethernet is always uninhibited electrical signals, and wifi is just radio, which attenuates through walls and the air.

That makes sense, but I'm still a little confused. What exactly do you mean by it "could" be using the bandwidth that my PC is using while I'm playing games?

Just now, LewisBros said:

That makes sense, but I'm still a little confused. What exactly do you mean by it "could" be using the bandwidth that my PC is using while I'm playing games?

Like I said, your PC will always have a poorer connection to the internet, and your television will have a stronger connection. The television might be using your bandwidth, but your connection is going to be poor regardless.

White Elephant

Crappy CPUAMD FX-6300

Inadequate Cooler: Coolermaster MasterLiquid Pro 120

Garbage Mobo: GA-990FXA-UD3 R5

Shitty RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3, 4 sticks, 2 black and 2 white

Stupid GFX card: EVGA GTX 750 Ti FTW ACX

Fire-Prone PSUEVGA 500W W1 80+

Ugly CaseNZXT S340 White

Slow StorageSamsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD

Components lost in the line of Duty

Broken Cold Cathode, Broken white LED strip, crumbly thermal compund, bent-up Hyper 212 Evo, Trashed Corsair Carbide 100R Silent, 12 dozen broken case fans