How are computers cooled in space?

andyroo19

This is a question I was pondering, an air cooler wouldn't work unless it was in the cabin or whatever its called. I'm talking about if a computer was in the vacuum of space, how would they cool it? My mind instantly went to water cooling, but that's not possible either because the radiator is cooled by air, so it would likely be better than air cooling but it would somewhat quickly reach thermal capacity. If anyone has an answer to this question it would be really cool to know. Thank you. 

probably big radiators that use photon radiation to cool down or they can reuse the heat to generate electricity etc

4 hours ago, andyroo19 said:

This is a question I was pondering, an air cooler wouldn't work unless it was in the cabin or whatever its called. I'm talking about if a computer was in the vacuum of space, how would they cool it? My mind instantly went to water cooling, but that's not possible either because the radiator is cooled by air, so it would likely be better than air cooling but it would somewhat quickly reach thermal capacity. If anyone has an answer to this question it would be really cool to know. Thank you. 

Well I suppose the question is really, how does anything get cooled in space? Why do spacecraft get cold if you turn off the heater, shouldn't they just heat up infinitely if they are exposed to the sun, and they are surrounded by a huge insulating vacuum with no thermal contact with other objects?

And the answer is, objects in space are cooled entirely by radiation; they lose energy through EM radiation, the same way the heat from the sun gets to us through space actually (although it will all be pretty much infrared spectrum or below for man made objects like spacecraft). So if you turn off the heater in the spacecraft it will slowly lose energy, and therefore drop in temperature. You thermally couple the computer to the hull of the spacecraft and it will be cooled as well.

I'd add that in a spaceship, there aren't just custom made computers built into the spaceship, conventional computers -that is, ones that are not built into the spaceship, such as laptops etc- are also used (at least on the ISS) 

Those lose their heat to the air inside the craft like a normal computer in a room on earth. And then of course the air in the spaceship is kept at a constant temperature by some climate control system that operates in the manner described by @Glenwing

Space is a cold place. Heat needs contact to transfer and all that is true, but when apolo 11 (or 13 not sure) suddenly got to the Shadow of the moon, it cooled down by 150-200°C. It's strange how temperature is working but the average space temperature is ~270

• 3 months later...

Generally they'd probably be integrated into the temperature control for the entire spacecraft, but how cooling is accomplished for that is by radiative cooling: the heat is transferred to huge radiator panels that get rid of it via infrared light. This happens on the ground as well-- if you're at a large bonfire, you'll often find it feels much hotter on exposed skin because you're absorbing the infrared light from the fire-- but it's the only option for space travel.

Looks like the radiators like @Grabhanem said. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-47377707

Spoiler

The servers were placed in an airtight box with a radiator that is hooked up to the ISS water-cooling system. Hot air from the computers is guided through the radiator to cool down and than circulated back.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

Stuff is cooled by radiation.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

At  -270c I don't think you'd need anything on a cpu at all. No water block, no air cooler.... just the IHS plate exposed to the chilly temps of 2.5 kelvin. 

The question might be more proper, how do I heat my PC to an operating temperature in space :P

Just now, ShrimpBrime said:

At  -270c I don't think you'd need anything on a cpu at all. No water block, no air cooler.... just the IHS plate exposed to the chilly temps of 2.5 kelvin. 

The question might be more proper, how do I heat my PC to an operating temperature in space :P

The thing is, space isn't really -270C because there isn't really anything to have a temperature. A chip exposed directly to the vacuum of space would heat up the 3 atoms nearby to operating temperature and then melt.

4 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

The other question is where is my PC drawing power from in the vacuum of space.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Just now, Grabhanem said:

The thing is, space isn't really -270C because there isn't really anything to have a temperature. A chip exposed directly to the vacuum of space would heat up the 3 atoms nearby to operating temperature and then melt.

The PC probably wouldn't even start up in the first place.

Call that cold boot or cold bugged. Why the top of boards come with a slow mode and LN2 switch....

1 minute ago, Master Disaster said:

The other question is where is my PC drawing power from in the vacuum of space.

A very long extension cord to your house duh! Lol

28 minutes ago, Firoj said:

I'm talking about if a computer was in the vacuum of space, how would they cool it?

It would either be to cold or to hot for the pc to even work. You'd need the pc to be in the cabin of a space craft, like the ISS space station, or be in an insulated box floating in space.

Power in space, well I know the rockets batteries are nuclear or plasma lithium.

7 minutes ago, Grabhanem said:

Of course there is things in space. If there wasn't then stars and planets wouldn't form.

Even in deep space there's still some basic elements floating around, granted at miniscule proportions.

Oh and lets not forget the ever mysterious dark matter, we have no idea how that stuff works yet but its thought upto 75% of space could be made up of it.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

3 minutes ago, Orange1 said:

It would either be to cold or to hot for the pc to even work. You'd need the pc to be in the cabin of a space craft, like the ISS space station, or be in an insulated box floating in space.

Power in space, well I know the rockets batteries are nuclear or plasma lithium.

Right. The sunny side of the space station can get over 200 degree. And the shaded side negative 200 degree.

Let's assume in the the shaded side for all intensive purposes. 

58 minutes ago, Firoj said:

Infrared and microwave radiation. Just like how a lightbulb emits visible light (photons) at a few hundred degrees, the surface of a satellite will emit photons with less energy at a lower temperature. While it is true that "space", or rather the dust in space, is very, very cold, there's so little of it that it can be completely ignored, at least for heat transfer. The computers in spacecraft are also purpose built, which makes them very power efficient.

Interestingly, the main problem for spacecraft isn't cooling off, it's staying warm. Most of them have a large enough surface area that they dissipate more energy than they output through normal operation. The power source on New Horizons (A tiny piece of plutonium) outputs far more power than the spacecraft's electronics need to run, the extra power is used to keep it warm enough for those electronics to not "freeze" to death.

2 minutes ago, LWM723 said:

What about the electronics in sattellites where there is no air?

Radiation by infrared light.

Main Rig :

Ryzen 7 2700X | Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8 GB | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 | 16 GB TeamGroup Elite 2400MHz | Samsung 750 EVO 240 GB | HGST 7200 RPM 1 TB | Seasonic M12II EVO | CoolerMaster Q300L | Dell U2518D | Dell P2217H | 

Laptop :

Thinkpad X230 | i5 3320M | 8 GB DDR3 | V-Gen 128 GB SSD |

They do talk about it in this video.

Slayerking92

<Type something witty here>
<Link to some pcpartpicker fantasy build and claim as my own>

Well the Computers they put on Spacecraft are nowhere as powerful as Modern PCs. So less Heat produced to begin with.