Need Actual advice on Laptop Heatpipes

jasonmbrown222

Please no "Just sell it and buy a new one" or "It can't be done". I don't have 3,000$ to get a half decent laptop that can actually stay cool. I'm stuck with what I have to work with. (Not trying to be rude)

I asked a similiar question in another part of the forums, as I hadn't noticed this area. Basically I have an Asus Rog G531GT which has 2 heat pipes. I want to use the thermal Assembly from the Rog G531GW. The problem is that the gpu and cpu are in different places (If only by about half an inch). Would it be fine for the purpose of the thermals/cooling to simply replace the G531GW's Thermal Assembly -Cpu Block with a slightly longer piece of copper, Or do the heat pipes have to be directly above the chip? 

Worst comes to worst I found a merchant on aliexpress that can bend and flatten new pipes for me so long as I give the correct measurements. Also when attaching heatpipes to a cpu/gpu copper block, whats the best way to attach them for the sake of thermal performance (I think just soldering them directly to the copper would be the most effecient?). Same question but for the Copper fins

My other thread is over here (It has pic of the GT and GW Thermal Assembly).
Also in my other thread someone said I wouldn't get much of a thermal improvement but I really want to get another opinion since I have never heard anyone say that 2 pipes is just as good as 6 and more heat fins.

the other probelm is that the screws are in a differnt spot. These is no easy way to make it fit. 

I also don't think the heat pipes are the problem, its the lack of fins and amount of airflow. There is no easy way to make it work. 

Your not gonna easily make the heatpipes fit, look at the ltt videos, its not easy to make a heatsink, esp one thats better than teh stock one.

Any suggestions then on cooling it without bulking it up too much? I plan to cut out intake area for the fans and replace with metal mesh and dust filter. Liquid Metal paste and under-volt as much as possible. Noise isnt an issue, I just don't want to burn out the components. Just for comparison my current laptop isnt a gaming laptop and it runs 24/7 I've had it since 2014 but its a 2010 model. I only reboot after driver installs or changes, and most of the time thats only once every 200 days. Still runs moderately fine. I will most likely be running the gaming laptop about the same, and don't want it to die just outside of warranty due to crap thermals.

1 minute ago, jasonmbrown222 said:

Any suggestions then on cooling it without bulking it up too much? I plan to cut out intake area for the fans and replace with metal mesh and dust filter. Liquid Metal paste and under-volt as much as possible. Noise isnt an issue, I just don't want to burn out the components. Just for comparison my current laptop isnt a gaming laptop and it runs 24/7 I've had it since 2014 but its a 2010 model. I only reboot after driver installs or changes, and most of the time thats only once every 200 days. Still runs moderately fine. I will most likely be running the gaming laptop about the same, and don't want it to die just outside of warranty due to crap thermals.

temps won't kill it, you can run those chips hot for a long time with no issue. I wouldn't worry about it.

ok, thanks for your answers. Still gonna open up the airflow a bit, I might be able to jam a couple 5v micro fans into it as well to intake some air from the front (theres a bit of space above the right speaker). If only so I can run it cooler and possibly turbo for longer.

You could maybe - maybe - use a copper plate in between the CPU and the different block and drill holes that would allow it to be screwed on the standard mounts.

However it might actually make temps worse as the thermal transfer would be from the CPU to the copper plate and then to the block.

A vapour chamber could work but then you can't drill it and it will definitely be harder to make it fit.

I can't see many options here at least none that wouldn't make your laptop into a desktop… And if you're willing to go that way then just look for a small AIO water cooler with 2 blocks and work on its mounts to screw it on the board.

If you do choose to do any of that I would love to see pictures of how it went :)

Hi @jasonmbrown222

I had heat problems with my Dell Latitude E6440 with an i7 4702MQ CPU. What I did was drill some 1mm holes in the bottom of the panel where the fan intake was. Then I used some foam door insulation so that the CPU fan would only from air from the bottom of the laptop. This dropped my CPU temps by 15° c.

Sorry, this was an old mod so I don't have any pics.

On 7/17/2020 at 2:21 PM, daveholland86 said:

Thermal issues solved.

That's awesome!

Can you use some sort of soldering or thermal pads in-between…?

23 hours ago, caincha said:

That's awesome!

Can you use some sort of soldering or thermal pads in-between…?

Yes I was going to low temp solder, but then everything else is low temp soldered to the heat pipes.  In short that means I will desolder everything else to solder a water pipe on there.  I got some thermal pads under the tubes now and it helped lower it a couple more degrees C.  

Idle is ~45c and max load is about 70c.

Yeah I expected to drop some degrees with a thermal pad. Probably more if soldered but like you said that can't be done.

Pretty good as it is anyway :)