1Gb download on all devices?

IAmAFrenchFry

I don’t know if I’m shooting in the dark here, but is it possible to get 1Gb download (don’t really care too much about upload) across all devices on a network? I know that most ISPs say that they offer 1Gb service, but is that for all devices together or for each device individually? A good example is when people say “10 gig internet” like Linus, does that mean 10Gb split across all devices or to each device?

I’m looking to upgrade my home WiFi so I can download games faster, while also allowing my family to watch YouTube, Netflix, TV, browse the internet, etc. on their own devices. If anyone knows of a way to do this with a mesh network system from a reputable(-ish at least) brand and, for my sanity, a good router control panel, that would be great. WiFi 6 would also be a great bonus. I also don’t know if any ISP supports this kind of system even if the hardware does, though, and I’ve seen some plans where they aren’t available yet because I’m in an apartment. 

To be more clear, I would like a system (if possible) that includes all the things listed above, including a modem, router, mesh system, and ISP to support all the bandwidth.

Thanks and stay healthy!

That's 1 gigbit per second for the entire network, which is enough bandwidth for many devices at once. In Linus's case, his 10 Gbps network is shared by all devices (but it's stupidly fast to begin with). 

As for the ISP, you'll have to see any in your area offer gigbit service.

PC Specs:

CPU: AMD 1700x Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: Asus Crosshair VI Hero RAM: 4 * 8GB G.Skill RGB DDR4 Graphics: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 500GB Case: Fractal Design Meshify C PSU: EVGA 750w G3 Monitors: Dell SG2716DG +  2x Dell U2515H

Freenas specs:

CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2650 V2 Cooler: Some noctua cooler Motherboard: Supermicro X9 SRL-F RAM: 8 * 8GB Samsung DDR3 ECC Storage: 6 * 4TB Seagate 7200 RPM RAIDZ2 Controller: LSI H220 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro PSU: EVGA 650w G3

Phone: iPhone 6S 32 GB Space Grey

3 minutes ago, IAmAFrenchFry said:

but is that for all devices together

Yes, it's the overall amount, not per-device.

4 minutes ago, IAmAFrenchFry said:

but is it possible to get 1Gb download (don’t really care too much about upload) across all devices on a network?

Depends on the number of devices and how big pockets you have. If you have ten of fewer devices, then yes, you could use a 10Gbps router/switch/modem and upgrade your Internet-connection to 10Gbps as well and then setup bandwidth-limiting on the router so each device can only use 1Gbps. Just be prepared to pay through the nose for a 10Gbps Internet-connection.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

For the router, I use a Orbi mesh system by netgear. They have a new version that supports WiFi 6, you might want to take a look at it.

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

Graphics Card Cooling Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/12/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/19/20 Techlinked

17 hours ago, WereCatf said:

Depends on the number of devices and how big pockets you have. If you have ten of fewer devices, then yes, you could use a 10Gbps router/switch/modem and upgrade your Internet-connection to 10Gbps as well

So, I know that there is the hardware to do it, as shown in Linus’s “10 Gbps home internet” video, so if I’m correct, if I find a 10 Gbps ISP (which seems to be the challenging part, at least in my area) that can service me, it is do-able, but it will be expensive, right? 

20 minutes ago, IAmAFrenchFry said:

So, I know that there is the hardware to do it, as shown in Linus’s “10 Gbps home internet” video, so if I’m correct, if I find a 10 Gbps ISP (which seems to be the challenging part, at least in my area) that can service me, it is do-able, but it will be expensive, right? 

Even if you can find a provider you're looking at $1000/month or much more for that kind of service.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

26 minutes ago, IAmAFrenchFry said:

if I find a 10 Gbps ISP (which seems to be the challenging part,

Your current ISP probably offers these services as Metro Ethernet. But like @Lurick stated its probably expensive. Let me put it in to perspective. Comcast has 2 Gbps Fiber they will run out to a persons house. Its Metro Ethernet service like Big enterprise users would get. The only difference is Comcast heavily discounts it. If your within 1/3 mile of their Fiber Network, and are willing to give them unto $1000 for installation and $299 a month with a 2 or 3 year commitment then you can get the Fiber. Id imagine that 10 Gbps service would be hell of expensive, probably more than $1000 a month. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

3 hours ago, Lurick said:

Even if you can find a provider you're looking at $1000/month or much more for that kind of service.

It might also require the ISP to install new fiber and/or hardware in order to be able to offer 10Gbps-connection to OP, which would increase the initial cost to $30k+

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.