Google's Phone app will tell you why businesses are calling

SansVarnic

Summary

Apparently Google will be adding a feature to the calling app to help better identify as to why a business is calling you. I am not sure how they purport to do this but in general bussiness will be able to become "verified" through a process that tell the system who and what they do so that information is presented to the receiver.

Quotes

If you’re using Google’s Phone app, you’ll soon be able to know why a business establishment is calling before you even pick up.

Businesses that choose to go through and pass Google’s verification process will be able to send the dedicated Verified Calls server their phone number, your phone number and their reason for calling, such as “Scheduling your internet installation” or “Your food delivery.” Google will then show all that information on your Phone app.

The feature is switched on by default, but it won’t work if you haven’t added your phone number to your Google Account

My thoughts

I am not 100% sure how I feel about this but if it helps to better identify Spam and Scam calls than I am all for it. 

I have a Samsung phone so I get pre-installed Hiya and it does a pretty fair job as is but its not full proof of course.

Sources

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/google-s-phone-app-will-tell-you-why-businesses-are-calling/ar-BB1631TY?ocid=msedgntp

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Cool, now I know why I wouldn't answer my phone 😎👍

Caller ID to the next level

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Considering call screening still isn't a thing on pixel devices in Europe, we'll see this here in about 10 years time.

Please mark as helpful and informative so my profile looks better.

quote or reply to me if you want me to reply to you.

Thanks

I'm generally against Google getting Yet More™ of my personal information nowadays (even if they Do Not Collect Any Personally Identifiable Information™®), so I hope this is an opt-in feature.  

#Muricaparrotgang

Folding@Home Stats | Current PC Loadout:

Small                        Bigger				Biggerer				Biggest
Fractal Design Focus G       NZXT H1				Lian LI O11 Dynamic XL			Fractal Design Meshify C
FX-8320                      Ryzen 3 3200G			Ryzen 5 3600				Ryzen 7 3700X
120mm AIO                    120mm AIO				Custom 280mm loop			Noctua NH-D15
A motherboard                ASRock B450 mobo			MSI x570 mobo				MSI x570 mobo
16gb DDR3                    16gb DDR4 @ 3200			16gb DDR4 @ 3200			16gb DDR4 @ 3600
a melange of HDDs/SSDs       WD 1tb m.2				WD 500gb m.2				WD 1tb m.2/2tb HDD
PNY GTX 1070 x2              GTX 1070				GTX 1070 FE				MSI RTX 2080 TI
some 650w PSU                650W SFX-L 80+ Gold		MSI RTX 2080 Super			EVGA SuperNova 750w 80+ GOLD 
								Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD

2 minutes ago, Rybo said:

I'm generally against Google getting Yet More™ of my personal information nowadays (even if they Do Not Collect Any Personally Identifiable Information™®), so I hope this is an opt-in feature.  

From the article it says it is on by default, so I am going to assume it is able to be turned off in settings.

1 minute ago, TempestCatto said:

As a millennial it's very simple. Phone rings? Don't answer. If it's important, they'll leave a message. If not, they've already fucked off.

Yeah pretty much.

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Such a great idea. I used to work for a healthcare company, we call up people when we need their details and inform them about their surgery and our decision regarding funding. So many people simply don't trust a blocked ID, and we can't use it for obvious reasons. It's usually a pretty important call, used to hate it when people hung up or refuse to give their details just because its a blocked ID. 

3 hours ago, TempestCatto said:

As a millennial it's very simple. Phone rings? Don't answer. If it's important, they'll leave a message. If not, they've already fucked off.

No one checks their voicemail. Pick up yo dam phone its not scary. 

20 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

You obviously don't hear the voices coming from the other side, I mean, there's no one else in my house but I still hear people talking when I pick up the phone... /s

I don’t think it’ll help against pranksters. Maybe against telemarketers it might. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

So like Truecaller app? 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

App: hey <company> is apparently trying to call you about your account, there is an issue

Actual call:  hey, we want to upsell you useless shit. 

If they have to be verified to use this service, there had better be a way for the receiver to confirm if the company selected the correct option for why they are calling, otherwise it will absolutely be abused

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

I just use the community driven app Should I Answer? Works great here in Switzerland, dunno about the rest of the world. 

Set it up in a way that it automatically "blocks" any calls or messages from negatively rated numbers or Anonymous ones. 

Block in quotation marks because this app acts as a replacement to the default Phone App which in turn just won't show the call at all if the number rates negative in the filtering you set up. 

You can also set it up in a way that you still see the number calling you, simply won't ring or give a notification that a negatively rated number called, giving you the option to whitelist it. 

Companies here even started using that community service to get verified, shadier companies go there and review bomb it positively which so far always backfires because the community review bombs it negative even harder. 

I never checked but I think it's even possible to add patterns into the blacklist, for example, block all incoming events that start with the number "043" which here in Switzerland are usually Callcenters. 

Telemarketers will totally find ways to make you think it's not a spam call to make you answer for once, isn't it.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

1 hour ago, RorzNZ said:

Pick up yo dam phone its not scary. 

I tell my wife this all the time. We grew up with land lines its nothing new, lol.

29 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

Telemarketers will totally find ways to make you think it's not a spam call to make you answer for once, isn't it.

Unfortunetly your correct, they will find a way, they always do.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

can't you just:

pick up

hear half sentence

end call

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

9 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

Such a great idea. I used to work for a healthcare company, we call up people when we need their details and inform them about their surgery and our decision regarding funding. So many people simply don't trust a blocked ID, and we can't use it for obvious reasons. It's usually a pretty important call, used to hate it when people hung up or refuse to give their details just because its a blocked ID. 

and if its a robocaller/advertiser and you pick up they will add your number to their list and you will get spammed by 20 phone calls everyday happened to me once until i stopped picking up and after a while i guess they removed my number and i stopped getting phone calls

10 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

8 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

I tell my wife this all the time. We grew up with land lines its nothing new, lol.

Sadly, you gotta be more careful nowadays. They are getting clever, calling in and asking people specifically worded questions to record your voice, then attempt to use the recordings as proof that you approved of something. There was a lady on our local news station here in Columbus Ohio that got scammed like this because they called her, used very specific questions like "with whom am I speaking?" to get her first/last name along with random questions to get the lady to say "yes" or "no" and used it to phish information through her mobile carrier. Why they'd do it is beyond me, but it's crazy that they are even doing it in the first place.

If I answer an unknown call, I won't utter a single sound until I hear someone speak first, and then I'll demand they tell me who they are before I attempt to continue. If it seems off at all, I'll hang up.

EDIT: Found the news article: https://fox8.com/news/can-you-hear-me-phone-scam-reported-in-ohio/.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

10 hours ago, captain_to_fire said:

I don’t think it’ll help against pranksters. Maybe against telemarketers it might. 

For a while anyway.  With limited success for some telemarketers.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

4 hours ago, spartaman64 said:

and if its a robocaller/advertiser and you pick up they will add your number to their list and you will get spammed by 20 phone calls everyday happened to me once until i stopped picking up and after a while i guess they removed my number and i stopped getting phone calls

That is true, but they don't usually have blocked numbers. If its a foreign caller then I usually don't pick up. 

When I had a Pixel phone earlier this year one of the things I loved was that the Google Assistant would answer calls from “suspicious” or unknown calls for me before sending the call to me.

Don't care, you're not getting off my call blacklist.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition