Best way to set up StoreMI

BradIJM

Hey y'all, about to build my new Ryzen 3600 build, and was wondering the best way to set up StoreMI on the system. Below are the drives I will have in my system

1TB NVMe M.2 (Windows Partition)

120GB Sata SSD (Current Windows Drive)

3TB HDD (Games and General Storage)

1TB HDD (Transfer from old system. Potential Backup drive)

I have a couple thoughts on how to set the computer up, so I want to know from people who have used StoreMI which option would be better.

Option 1 : Have my 1TB SSD set to dual boot Windows and Linux (only a 40GB partition) 

Set up current 120GB SSD as cache for the 3TB drive

Option 2 : Have the 1TB SSD for Windows solely

Set up the 120GB SSD into 2 partitions. 40GB Linux drive and 80GB for StoreMI with the 3TB drive

I don't know how much space StoreMI likes in the cache, though I assume the more the better, so I assume the 1st option to be best. Though if you know of a better way to set it up, please let me know. Thanks in advance. 

Are you comfortable with the idea that removing StoreMI is a destructive process?  It may have changed since I tried it, but I wasn't happy with the weird system feel while using it and then removing it meant having to destroy all the data on the drives.  

So if you absolutely want to use it then I wouldn't put any OS on the drive you're using with StoreMI.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

Just now, nick name said:

So if you absolutely want to use it then I wouldn't put any OS on the drive you're using with StoreMI.  

Ah, I wasn't aware of this, however my setup would only have storeMI set up on the drive containing data, which I intend to use the spare 1tb HDD to backup important files, so at most, I would likely lose my games library, but as long as my other files are safe, then that doesn't bother me too much, though it would be something to look into before setting up. Thanks for the warning. 

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

5 minutes ago, Hold-Ma-Beer said:

I may be wrong but didn't AMD closed StoreMI ? 

Just looked and youre right. Damn, that ruins that plan for now. Apparently a new version will be coming out soon, but no idea when

@BradIJM Same, I also recently built a Ryzen system with 2HDD (one is slower xD, SSD on the way) and when I came to know about AMD storeMI I started learning about how it works and will it be beneficial for my rig, and after a week of research, I found that they have closed it. But they say they will launch newer version very soon.. Maybe with the new 4000 series??

^-^