Choosing a GPU to upgrade to

EzekielGMG

Not much to say here other then I am wanting to upgrade my current GTX 1050 TI in the future with these parts along with it:

I might choose to wait for a zen 3 CPU instead depending on when the whole lockdown situation clears up in the UK, as all of my money is currently in euros and I can't convert them at a decent rate so by the time i actually have the money, it might be worth it to just wait instead. Other then that, from what I've gathered these parts are a good choice in terms of features, future proofing and reliability from what I've seen looking around, which is why this is under the GPU topic because I would like to know in advance what to get. But then again, I am new to this so any changes to the current list would be appreciated.

But back to the topic: if i were to get a GPU with those parts, what would be a good choice? Realistically all I'm going to be wanting to do is play games at 60FPS minimum at 1080p (since that's all my monitors support). I think I'd have a budget at about £400 with a bit of wiggle room if it'd be worth it, but cheaper options that'd give me what I'd want would be better, graphics don't matter a whole lot to me. However, the features of RTX are something I've wanted for a while, and I don't want to have to upgrade for a long time after. Any suggestions?

1 minute ago, EzekielGMG said:

£400

If your satisfied with the current performance 

Wait for ampere and big Navi 

If you absolutely need an upgrade 

The best GPU at around this price point is a 5700xt which is very close to a 2070 super 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

For 400 quid you could get either a 5700XT or a 2060 Super. 

If gaming really isn't a priority and you don't need the absolute best performance, look for a 5600XT 14Gbps or 1660 Super.

Also, I'd get some 3600MHz CL16 memory instead of the 3200MHz.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

1 minute ago, TofuHaroto said:

If your satisfied with the current performance 

Wait for ampere and big Navi 

If you absolutely need an upgrade 

The best GPU at around this price point is a 5700xt which is very close to a 2070 super 

Thanks, that's all I needed 👍

Just now, Mateyyy said:

Also, I'd get some 3600MHz CL16 memory instead of the 3200MHz.

Would that make much of a difference? With the parts I've chosen, I'm already pushing the budget, and I've heard most people saying it doesn't give too much more performance 

2 minutes ago, EzekielGMG said:

Would that make much of a difference? With the parts I've chosen, I'm already pushing the budget, and I've heard most people saying it doesn't give too much more performance 

PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
Memory Patriot Viper Steel 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL17 Memory £73.56 @ CCL Computers
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total £73.56
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-06-28 16:12 BST+0100  

This for example is pretty much the same price. Even if it's CL17, it'll offer lower latency than the 3200 CL16 kit, but mostly you'd be benefiting from running your CPU's FCLK at a higher speed (1800MHz), which could offer a decent bit more performance compared to running it at 1600MHz.

Especially considering that this costs the same amount, I'd go for it instead.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

2 minutes ago, youngboy said:

Agree. I'd get the 5700 XT since the OP is doing gaming. And doesn't want to upgrade for a while

Alright, I might do that then. Thanks!

3 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:
PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
Memory Patriot Viper Steel 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL17 Memory £73.56 @ CCL Computers
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total £73.56
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-06-28 16:12 BST+0100  

This for example is pretty much the same price. Even if it's CL17, it'll offer lower latency than the 3200 CL16 kit, but mostly you'd be benefiting from running your CPU's FCLK at a higher speed (1800MHz), which could offer a decent bit more performance compared to running it at 1600MHz.

Especially considering that this costs the same amount, I'd go for it instead.

Alright, I'm just not sure about overclocking anything because I'm going to be running the stock cooler on my CPU and my case fans are good but not the best (they're also the stock fans, I use the Corsair Carbide Spec-03), and my room gets pretty hot quickly. As I said in the post, I'm new to everything here and know next to nothing about overclocking so I'm just wanting to play it safe

1 minute ago, EzekielGMG said:

I'm new to everything here and know next to nothing about overclocking so I'm just wanting to play it safe

1800mhz on the FCLK is by no means dangerous 

In fact you don't have to do it 

It just better to do it.

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

2 minutes ago, EzekielGMG said:

Alright, I'm just not sure about overclocking anything because I'm going to be running the stock cooler on my CPU and my case fans are good but not the best (they're also the stock fans, I use the Corsair Carbide Spec-03), and my room gets pretty hot quickly. As I said in the post, I'm new to everything here and know next to nothing about overclocking so I'm just wanting to play it safe

The FCLK should be set to the correct speed by your motherboard automatically, you don't really have to worry about it.