Does that mean next gen^2 will be ARM powered?

Console manufacturers will make the switch if it is meaningful for them to do so. If we're looking at future XB/PS consoles, I think this is less likely as they would kinda track PCs and leverage both hardware and software similarities. Niche consoles like Nintendo offerings can get away with whatever they like.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Considering the Switch is on a Qualcom Tegra ARM SOC, I could see them leveraging more powerful ARM SOCs when they get around to designing a Switch Pro.  I think you are right on the mark when you mention backward compatibility.  I dont see that as something Microsoft wants to move away from, since the Series X will have a giant library of original Xbox, 360, and One games at launch.  I wish Sony would get around to talking about their backwards compatibility plans.  I doubt there will ever be PS3 interoperability, but it would be nice to know how much of my PS4 library will be playable.

I am thinking that when Sony or MS switch to arm it will be to act as a streaming device for their game streaming services.

I don't imagine that will be the case, at least not in the foreseeable future, since the only company that is confirmed to make desktop ARM cpu's that are not designed for mobile devices is Apple and I don't think Apple would agree to a partnership with either Sony or Microsoft. 2nd of all, ARM being different to x86 it could make it significantly more difficult for developers to make games for the platform, and optimize them properly, especially if the studio's never worked with such architecture. Unless the chips are significantly more powerful or/and cheaper than whatever AMD offers on the x86 side, it wouldn't make sense for either company to switch to the architecture since it isn't really simple to do so.

On 6/26/2020 at 11:03 AM, We Didnt_t start_the_fire said:

backward compatibility will be an issue that resurface.

I don't think so, I mean, for example look at the Xbox One, you can play xbox 360 games no problem through software emulation, despite the fact that the Xbox One uses the X86 architecture while the Xbox 360 used the PowerPC architecture.

26 minutes ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

ARM being different to x86 it could make it significantly more difficult for developers to make games for the platform, and optimize them properly, especially if the studio's never worked with such architecture. Unless the chips are significantly more powerful or/and cheaper than whatever AMD offers on the x86 side, it wouldn't make sense for either company to switch to the architecture since it isn't really simple to do so.

I don't think so, I mean, for example look at the Xbox One, you can play xbox 360 games no problem through software emulation, despite the fact that the Xbox One uses the X86 architecture while the Xbox 360 used the PowerPC architecture.

I do agree that I can't see them switching, but in terms of difficulty, that didn't stop most big name developers from developing on the PS3 and I bet the Arm architecture is a walk in the park in comparison, especially given the amount of arm products and sizeable knowledge base that would exist.

I also agree, for the same reasons, that the ARM-x86 isnt a roadblock, but I do know if it is a enough for the big companies to avoid the switch as it could be significantly more development of the backcompat layers.

MS is pushing for ARM based, since Apple is the most pissed off at intel, but it doesn't mean MS isn't. And is one does something, usually the other will follow in console. It will be cheaper for sure though AMD is not Intel so their is less difference. MS can have a Rosetta 2 too. But being MS, it just won't be smooth as Apple and most likely bug ridden at beginning. And is the problem I think. And because Apple is already Mac is already partly GNU based it should be easier. Sony I do not see any disadvantage other than taking the effort, since they are already GNU operated. It could open up new dev studios in the mobile to go trans-platform mobile-console and at beginning just upscale and port they're existing game. I have one particular studio in head when making these comment, SUPERCELL. 

If MS throw enough resource it will get done. But then it is rumored they are having a new kernel beyond NT for some time now in secret development. That could integrate ARM. And make it way more coherent and feel nice. But the question will it happen together of separate the big move. Since MS is prosed to support NT I am guessing separately as that new kernel is likely a couple years away at best. If Sony or MS could have all the support Apple have with all the transition kit, I could see games transition no problem. Just heavy recompile but that should be a piece of cake using new HPC.

Also worth mentioning, RDNA2 is likely not as efficient as hoped(console seize). It would also be interesting to see Apple graphics solution for they're new chip and AMD working with samsung for a mobile GPU is also interesting. I will always hope Apple come out with a console. Anyway, they're new move(Linux virtualization) may bring thrust to Linux gaming. 

On 6/26/2020 at 11:56 AM, Warin said:

Qualcom Tegra ARM SOC

It is Nvidia chip. If they want, they can work some magic to it. Nvidia is a company that if they want to do something, they will work great performance and magic into it.

18 hours ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

I don't imagine that will be the case, at least not in the foreseeable future, since the only company that is confirmed to make desktop ARM cpu's that are not designed for mobile devices is Apple and I don't think Apple would agree to a partnership with either Sony or Microsoft. 2nd of all, ARM being different to x86 it could make it significantly more difficult for developers to make games for the platform, and optimize them properly, especially if the studio's never worked with such architecture. Unless the chips are significantly more powerful or/and cheaper than whatever AMD offers on the x86 side, it wouldn't make sense for either company to switch to the architecture since it isn't really simple to do so.

I have always wondered if there wasn't a back room deal somewhere that gave Microsoft access to Rosetta resources to make the 360 backwards compatible work so seamlessly.

On 6/27/2020 at 10:23 PM, Warin said:

I have always wondered if there wasn't a back room deal somewhere that gave Microsoft access to Rosetta resources to make the 360 backwards compatible work so seamlessly.

I don't think so, AMD have done extensive and great work for it to have some kind of CPU and GPU tweak to be able to do it. Beside, Xbox UI is so buggy(as to not smooth)to where if anything Apple is involved wouldn't be so buggy. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I do think though next gen^2 will be arm based with MS pushing for ARM and have that seamless experience with phones and laptop/desktop. With AMD having an GPU for it because of them entering the mobile market for phone which should give some experience to them with arm. Unless another architecture supersede arm in that time but that inside 7 years is less likely especially the transition to arm will take 2 years even for Apple so MS will take ages at least 5 years. But they are always on the edge of new tech, just always bad or not smooth implementation. Maybe a gen^3 of gen^4 will see another architecture then arm. Or more likely the one after that.