Not sure what to upgrade next.

i5Wrath

What's up forum, as the title states, i'm wondering what i can upgrade on my rig next. I've already made some pretty substantial improvements to it, but i'm grasping at straws at this point. Here are my specs. (Apologize if my formatting is bad, not so experienced with posting on forums or anywhere else for that matter.)

MOBO: MSI B360M BAZOOKA Micro ATX LGA115

COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

CPU: Intel Core i5-8400 2.8 GHz 6-Core Processor

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600

GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 8 GB

PSU: Corsair CX 500 W 80+ Bronze

CASE: Rosewill Line-M MicroATX Mini Tower Case

SSD: 1X Kingston KC600 256 GB 2.5"

MONITOR: Sceptre 24-Inch 144Hz

Any and all resposes are appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to read.

1 minute ago, i5Wrath said:

upgrade

To what end do you want to upgrade for? Better gaming performance? More storage for data?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Nothing really. Maybe the monitor. GPU and CPU I’d wait until next gen parts arrive

2 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

To what end do you want to upgrade for? Better gaming performance? More storage for data?

Better gaming performance. I noticed yesterday i was running Sekiro on ultra and was still getting drops from 60 to 55. However it was a very uncommon occurence. I want to eliminate stuttering completely, from every single game that i play. It kills my immersion. I want 1080p Ultra gaming, smooth and seamless.

Better gaming performance. I noticed yesterday i was running Sekiro on ultra and was still getting drops from 60 to 55. However it was a very uncommon occurence. I want to eliminate stuttering completely, from every single game that i play. It kills my immersion. I want 1080p Ultra gaming, smooth and seamless.

GPU and CPU.

PM or DM me if you have any questions about audio.

My PC specs & audio gear

CPU > Intel core i7 14700K, GPU > RTX 4070 ProArt, RAM > Corsair Vengeance DDR5 2x16gb 5600mhz, Motherboard > Asus ROG Strix B760-F, Storage > 1TB M.2  & 500GB M.2 Kingston, Cooling > H150i Elite, PSU > MSI A850GL

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

Beyerdynamic Tygr 300 R w/ Dekoni Velour as daily driver

Soundblaster AE-9 Soundcard

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

Keyboard > SteelSeries Apex Pro

Mouse > Steelseries Aerox 3 wireless

Mousepad > Pulsar ParaSpeed XXL

VR > Valve index kit

Read this post if you want a "gaming" headset ;)

I'd say a 2070 super or something when the next series drops.

My PC specs & audio gear

CPU > Intel core i7 14700K, GPU > RTX 4070 ProArt, RAM > Corsair Vengeance DDR5 2x16gb 5600mhz, Motherboard > Asus ROG Strix B760-F, Storage > 1TB M.2  & 500GB M.2 Kingston, Cooling > H150i Elite, PSU > MSI A850GL

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

VR > Valve index kit

Just now, Tigerleon said:

GPU and CPU.

What would you suggest? my budget is pretty flexible. Is there a way for me to go beyond what i already have in terms of those two that won't make the rest of my system fall behind?

I'd say replacing the motherboard upgrading to an i7 in the 9th generation and getting a 2070 super.

My PC specs & audio gear

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

VR > Valve index kit

2 minutes ago, i5Wrath said:

The trouble is, you're running up against the limits of that platform. You will hit the law of diminishing returns. But if it were my rig, and I had the money to burn, look at a 2080 video card and see what the max CPU the board will support, and get that

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

1 minute ago, Tigerleon said:

I'd say replacing the motherboard upgrading to an i7 in the 9th generation and getting a 2070 super.

Got it. That's all i needed to know. Appreciate you taking the time to help me out. 

1 minute ago, Radium_Angel said:

The trouble is, you're running up against the limits of that platform. You will hit the law of diminishing returns. But if it were my rig, and I had the money to burn, look at a 2080 video card and see what the max CPU the board will support, and get that

Never thought i would ever find myself with a pc like this. I was a console peasant my entire life. in 2015 i discovered pc gaming and got my first crappy rig. It's a big deal to me seeing where i am now, i know i don't have a super computer, but this is more than i could ever have dreamed of at that time years ago. But i digress. Thanks for the advice, it means alot to me. Thanks for taking the time to help me.

12 minutes ago, i5Wrath said:

60 to 55 occasional isn't stutter, it's standard for FPS to fluctuate during operation, and 5 FPS is well within normal. It would be literally unnoticeable, especially on a standard 60hz monitor. 

If you are seeing actual stuttering lag, there area bunch of reasons that could be, and simple ways to diagnose.

What do you have in mind for an upgrade budget?

Just now, trevb0t said:

60 to 55 occasional isn't stutter, it's standard for FPS to fluctuate during operation, and 5 FPS is well within normal. It would be literally unnoticeable, especially on a standard 60hz monitor. 

My budget is somewhat unlimited. If i have to go overkill, i'm willing to do it.

2 minutes ago, trevb0t said:

If you are seeing actual stuttering lag, there area bunch of reasons that could be.

But but maybe he wants a 144fps gaming experience.

My PC specs & audio gear

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

VR > Valve index kit

My budget is somewhat unlimited. If i have to go overkill, i'm willing to do it.

I would literally update the platform. Zen 2 or waiting a bit and getting Zen 3 is going to provide gains. 

1 minute ago, Tigerleon said:

But but maybe he wants a 144fps gaming experience.

I said nothing against this? I just pointed out that a 5 FPS drop isn't stutter. 

I'm a total build-aholic. I get wanting to upgrade even if it's not needed.

16 minutes ago, i5Wrath said:

Never thought i would ever find myself with a pc like this. I was a console peasant my entire life. in 2015 i discovered pc gaming and got my first crappy rig. It's a big deal to me seeing where i am now, i know i don't have a super computer, but this is more than i could ever have dreamed of at that time years ago. But i digress. Thanks for the advice, it means alot to me. Thanks for taking the time to help me.

You are most welcome.

I'm not much of a gamer, playing only Unturned and Armoured Warfare. I am a fetish photographer so GFX-wise, my needs are modest. I've "only" got a GTX 1060 3GB, and twin Ivy Bridge-EP Xeons, so if you should find your rig not up to your level of expectations, I'll gladly take it off your hands 🤪

3 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

You are most welcome.

I'm not much of a gamer, playing only Unturned and Armoured Warfare. I am a fetish photographer so GFX-wise, my needs are modest. I've "only" got a GTX 1060 3GB, and twin Ivy Bridge-EP Xeons, so if you should find your rig not up to your level of expectations, I'll gladly take it off your hands 🤪

😂 now i feel greedy, thanks alot. And not much of a gamer? Unturned is the most hardcore thing i've ever played. Don't sell yourself short.