Gaming laptop mobo in to backpack vr pc?

Jae Tee

So for awhile now ever since I got in to vr I was thinking of building a backpack for a pc, before I knew that they existed. The thing is that vr backpacks are super expensive, and normal hardware would have too many issues of power and heat that I don't want to deal with. So how probable would it be to get a laptop mobo, build heat sinks and battery's and what not to be put in to the form of a backpack, and what issues would I run in to?   

At me or quote me, I want to hear your opinion.

Hopefully anything I say is factually correct. Sorry for any mistakes in advanced.

why not just put a laptop in a backpack?

If you judge a fish based on its ability to climb trees it will go its whole life thinking its a failure.

It's gonna require a lot of money and engineering and basically you'll spend about as much. Also laptops do not run at full performance on battery so you'd have to be able to deliver full output which in a best case scenario would give you 1 hour of playtime. So.

Best solution is wireless vr.

Or if you are deadset on a backpack for some reason strap a laptop to a piece of wood or hard surface and it won't overheat.

Just now, Matty2048 said:

why not just put a laptop in a backpack?

Price. You can get a powerful mobo under 400 US on ebay

Hopefully anything I say is factually correct. Sorry for any mistakes in advanced.

Just now, Jae Tee said:

What specs? You are still going to need a case, cooling, batteries, power supply,... this will easily add up to the cost of a cheap gaming laptop like a lenovo legion 5 that will do vr for 850$.

Just now, jaslion said:

laptops do not run at full performance on battery

Custom batt that runs directly to the barrel jack.

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

It's gonna require a lot of money

1 minute ago, Jae Tee said:

You can get a powerful mobo under 400 US on ebay

Just now, Jae Tee said:

but you'd need as a minimum, batteries, power supply and a case so you dont fry it. also a heatsink so it doesnt overheat which i imagine would require a janky mount as they arent standard atx by any means.

If you judge a fish based on its ability to climb trees it will go its whole life thinking its a failure.

There is a very good reason those backpacks are expensive. Also playtime will maybe be an hour as the weight of a pack can't be too much for comfort so battery capacity is limited. Really you should just invest in a wireless vr setup if you really don't want wires.

3 minutes ago, Matty2048 said:

but you'd need as a minimum, batteries, power supply and a case so you dont fry it. also a heatsink so it doesnt overheat which i imagine would require a janky mount as they arent standard atx by any means.

All of this seems doable with enough DIY'ing, No?

2 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Also playtime will maybe be an hour as the weight of a pack can't be too much for comfort so battery capacity is limited

Any reason i cant custom a dozen or more 18650's?

2 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Really you should just invest in a wireless vr setup if you really don't want wires.

I hate those.

5 minutes ago, Jae Tee said:

Any reason i cant custom a dozen or more 18650's?

technically no... however that seems like a great way to kill your mobo and probably start a battery based fire on your back unless you have both the technical skills to do something like this and 700 - 800 $/£ for the whole project to do a decent job of it or alot of time. 

17 minutes ago, Matty2048 said:

you have both the technical skills to do something like this and 700 - 800 $/£

That's a relatively small a contribution to make, compared to buying 1

18 minutes ago, Matty2048 said:

or alot of time. 

pandemic