Mechanical Keyboard for MacBook Pro

celerystruct

Hello I am looking to buy a mechanical keyboard for a MacBook Pro and wanted some suggestions.

I don't need number pad on the right but I would like for it to have arrow keys.

I am thinking of spending around $200 USD for one but I'm willing to go a little higher if the quality is worth it. No more than $300 USD and preferably a little lower than that to cover shipping and tax.

I will be using it mainly for developing and light gaming on the side.

Also I prefer brown keys but am willing to give blue a try.

I would prefer it to be white or a light color. I don't want it to be dark to avoid dust showing too quickly and easily. RGB is not a must and not having it might be plus. But having it is also not the end of the world.

Thank you for your help and any recommendations you make.

would recommend you to check out the keychron k4, should fit your needs

https://www.keychron.com/products/keychron-k4-wireless-mechanical-keyboard

G502 Lightspeed Review

PC:

Spoiler

i5-6400

GIGABYTE GA-H110M-DS2

CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 2X4 DDR4-2666MHz

ASUS ROG STRIX-GTX 1060-O6G

SEAGATE 2TB HDD

FUJISTU F300 240GB SSD

CORSAIR CX750M

Laptop:

Spoiler

Acer Nitro 5
i5 8300h
GTX 1050 4Gb
12 Gb RAM

128 Gb SSD

1 Tb HDD

Peripherals:

Spoiler

Keyboard:

Logitech G310 Atlas Dawn (Romer G)

Rexus Legionare MX5.1 (Content Browns)

Mice:

Logitech G602

Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Steelseries Rival 105

Logitech M330

Headset:

Logitech G430 
Cooler Master MH 752

2 hours ago, celerystruct said:

Hello I am looking to buy a mechanical keyboard for a MacBook Pro and wanted some suggestions.

I don't need number pad on the right but I would like for it to have arrow keys.

I am thinking of spending around $200 USD for one but I'm willing to go a little higher if the quality is worth it. No more than $300 USD and preferably a little lower than that to cover shipping and tax.

I will be using it mainly for developing and light gaming on the side.

Also I prefer brown keys but am willing to give blue a try.

I would prefer it to be white or a light color. I don't want it to be dark to avoid dust showing too quickly and easily. RGB is not a must and not having it might be plus. But having it is also not the end of the world.

Thank you for your help and any recommendations you make.

Seconding the K4 recommendation, also consider the Keychron K2 or Keychron K6 if you don't want the number pad.  Both of these keyboards have brown and blue options.  Ducky One 2 SF is currently preorder only on mechanicalkeyboards.com so if you don't mind waiting a little, that could also be an option.  (There are other places you can go to buy one if you like, although usually at a higher price)

With your price range, you would look at getting in to some of the cheaper custom keyboards as well, although that's more of an enthusiast project.  If you really want to make your "dream" keyboard, that's one way to go.

-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-

13 minutes ago, AdvocateOfNyx said:

Seconding the K4 recommendation, also consider the Keychron K2 or Keychron K6 if you don't want the number pad.  Both of these keyboards have brown and blue options.  Ducky One 2 SF is currently preorder only on mechanicalkeyboards.com so if you don't mind waiting a little, that could also be an option.  (There are other places you can go to buy one if you like, although usually at a higher price)

With your price range, you would look at getting in to some of the cheaper custom keyboards as well, although that's more of an enthusiast project.  If you really want to make your "dream" keyboard, that's one way to go.

Does making a keyboard require of lot of other expenses? A lot of the videos I've seen of people building involved soldering and that seems like a whole set of tools I'd need to buy for a one time thing.

Just now, celerystruct said:

Does making a keyboard require of lot of other expenses? A lot of the videos I've seen of people building involved soldering and that seems like a whole set of tools I'd need to buy for a one time thing.

You can get an entire soldering kit for under $20. I've been using that one for years to make all my custom keyboards. And soldering is easy to learn. I got everything I need from a 5 min Youtube tutorial. 

3 minutes ago, celerystruct said:

As geo said, the soldering isn't the expensive part. You can even build an entire keyboard without soldering if the idea makes you uncomfortable by using a hot swap PCB. 

It is slightly more expensive to get the parts though.  Companies can order in bulk, allowing them to get lower prices and sell the keyboards for less.  If you're building it yourself, you get much more choice and customizability at a higher price.  You can order kits which come with everything you need except for the switches and keycaps (since these are the most personal parts of a build) or you can order everything separately from the PCB, case, stems, springs...  You can get really involved.  Not suggesting it as your best option, but if you're really interested in keyboards and want something specific, it's an option within your price range.

-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-

@AdvocateOfNyx @geo3

So I've looked into it and it honestly looks doable. @geo3 

Where do you usually buy parts from and how long does it take to get delivered to you?

How long can I expect it to take to actually build?

As someone with no soldering experience how likely is it that I might mess up?

The videos on youtube I've seen are recommending a $80 soldering kit. I've found a few on my own that costs under $20 but I'm not sure what to make of them. Could you recommend some?

I don't need this right away but I would like to have it as soon as possible as it is for work.

Typically I order from these places KBDFans, Novelkeys, 1upkeyboards, KPRepublic, switchmod, ZealPC, or Aliexpress.  KBDFans is probably the best 1 stop shop for beginners.  The time getting parts these days with the virus going around is a bit random. Usually it doesn't take all that long. A week to 10 days if coming from China. But now you can't really know. 

As for actually building it only takes a couple hours. More if you lube switches. If you're careful and don't rush things it's not likely to mess anything up.  The only thing to watch for that can really mess you up is damaging the PCB by either tearing a trace which would only be a concern when removing switches or accidentally desoldering some other component which if you are careful and have a steady hand is not much of a worry. Both of those are fixable though.   The only other thing you may be likely to damage is a switch but typically you get a few extra in case that happens.  

I couldn't find the kit I have, it's been several years and I guess they don't sell it anymore. This on looks similar, is cheep and has good reviews. If I were buying now it's the one I'd get.  

14 minutes ago, geo3 said:

Typically I order from these places KBDFans, Novelkeys, 1upkeyboards, KPRepublic, switchmod, ZealPC, or Aliexpress.  KBDFans is probably the best 1 stop shop for beginners.  The time getting parts these days with the virus going around is a bit random. Usually it doesn't take all that long. A week to 10 days if coming from China. But now you can't really know. 

As for actually building it only takes a couple hours. More if you lube switches. If you're careful and don't rush things it's not likely to mess anything up.  The only thing to watch for that can really mess you up is damaging the PCB by either tearing a trace which would only be a concern when removing switches or accidentally desoldering some other component which if you are careful and have a steady hand is not much of a worry. Both of those are fixable though.   The only other thing you may be likely to damage is a switch but typically you get a few extra in case that happens.  

I couldn't find the kit I have, it's been several years and I guess they don't sell it anymore. This on looks similar, is cheep and has good reviews. If I were buying now it's the one I'd get.  

Thank you for this. Anything to look out for when buying parts in terms of compatibility or is it fairly straight forward? Also KBDFans seems to be lacking in inventory at the moment. Do you think I will need to order parts from lots of different websites?

Also any recommendations for a key switch that's similar to Cherry MX browns?

35 minutes ago, celerystruct said:

Thank you for this. Anything to look out for when buying parts in terms of compatibility or is it fairly straight forward? Also KBDFans seems to be lacking in inventory at the moment. Do you think I will need to order parts from lots of different websites?

Also any recommendations for a key switch that's similar to Cherry MX browns?

Generally plate PCB and case are the 3 things to watch out for in terms of compatibility as they have to match each other fairly closely. The other thing is keycaps. If they layout you go with uses non standard key sizes you have to double check the set includes. Most common example of this is ones with arrow clusters in the lower right causing them to use a short R-shift. 

It depends on what wan't to get. Some things are out of stock but others aren't. I would start looking at the options they have and try to find a plate/pcb/case combo in the form factor you want. If you can do this then the other parts could easily be sourced elsewhere.  The only time I would order those 3 parts separately is if I were making a standard 60% as that form factor is very standardized.

MX Brown is one of my least favorite switches so I can't really 'recommend' anything. But I can tell you what is similar. Gateron brown would be closest (and cheapest) (and smoother than cherry).

But if you just want a good tactile switch I would recommend Kailh's tactile BOX switches, Brown or Burnt Orange or Royal. These all have a sharper bump and little pre-travel, are smooth and low wobble. My personal goto tactile however  is Zealios V2, but those would be out of your $300 max budget. Kailh Pro Purple is a cheaper alternative to Zealios and what I would probably get if I were on a budget and was looking for tactiles. Another good tactile that people like are Halo and Hako switches, but I've not personally used them so I can't say. 

10 minutes ago, geo3 said:

Generally plate PCB and case are the 3 things to watch out for in terms of compatibility as they have to match each other fairly closely. The other thing is keycaps. If they layout you go with uses non standard key sizes you have to double check the set includes. Most common example of this is ones with arrow clusters in the lower right causing them to use a short R-shift. 

It depends on what wan't to get. Some things are out of stock but others aren't. I would start looking at the options they have and try to find a plate/pcb/case combo in the form factor you want. If you can do this then the other parts could easily be sourced elsewhere.  The only time I would order those 3 parts separately is if I were making a standard 60% as that form factor is very standardized.

MX Brown is one of my lest favorite switches so I can't really 'recommend' anything. But I can tell you what is similar. Gateron brown would be closest (and cheapest) (and smoother than cherry).

But if you just want a good tactile switch I would recommend Kailh's tactile BOX switches, Brown or Burnt Orange or Royal. These all have a sharper bump and little pre-travel, are smooth and low wobble. My personal goto tactile however  is Zealios V2, but those would be out of your $300 max budget. Kailh Pro Purple is a cheaper alternative to Zealios and what I would probably get if I were on a budget and was looking for tactiles. Another good tactile that people like are Halo and Hako switches, but I've not personally used them so I can't say. 

Thank you for the help. 

I'd like a 70% keyboard so I can have arrow keys. Do they usually sell the plate, pcb, and case in a combo for those?

Also if browns aren't your favorite what would you recommend as an affordable key cap that's good for typing and light gaming? I've only had the chance to try out cherry red, speed, and browns. I dislike the logitech keys though and I'm not a fan of the razor keycaps.

2 minutes ago, celerystruct said:

Thank you for the help. 

I'd like a 70% keyboard so I can have arrow keys. Do they usually sell the plate, pcb, and case in a combo for those?

Also if browns aren't your favorite what would you recommend as an affordable key cap that's good for typing and light gaming? I've only had the chance to try out cherry red, speed, and browns. I dislike the logitech keys though and I'm not a fan of the razor keycaps.

65% and 75% are fairly common form factors that have arrow keys. Are you referring to either of those? KBDfans and KPRepublic should have kits for both of those sizes.

Switches =/= keycaps.

It's personal preference, so it's not always a super good idea to make a choice based on someone else's preference. They did come with recommendations. The Durock T1 is another switch that should be somewhat similar to the Holy Panda and Zealios v2. Do keep in mind that the switches are likely going to be heavier than what you're used to, if you are used to MX Brown or MX Red. The actuation force is usually listed

:)

18 minutes ago, celerystruct said:

75%? If so the KBD75 is what to look at. I think it may be in stock. KBDfans sells it as a kit, separate parts or as fully assembled(by them with switches)  

This is in stock. https://kbdfans.com/collections/diy-kit/products/kbd75-keyboard-set?variant=28726413131824 This is the kit and you will need to add switches and caps.

11 minutes ago, seon123 said:

It's personal preference, so it's not always a super good idea to make a choice based on someone else's preference

This. I could describe the differences in the switches I've used, but what I like in a switch is probably very different. For example I prefer typing on linear but would never game on them. So I have boards with one other the other so I can easily switch.  If you liked MX Brown then the best bet is to get that or similar. Gateron brown as I said is most similar but smoother and cheaper. I don't know of anyone who prefers scratchier switches so it's a safe bet you would prefer the Gaterons.

Another thing is to buy a switch tester with a variety of switches to see what you really like. This is what I did when first getting into customs but I probably spent over $70 on testers just to lean what I liked.