Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

DDU Necessary?

Go to solution Solved by Tan3l6,

No

But if errors appear then - Yes

I plan on getting a new GPU soon, my question is is it absolutely necessary to DDU the drivers from the old card?

Just now, Tan3l6 said:

No

But if errors appear then - Yes

Quick and easy answer, I like it. Thanks.

2 minutes ago, RGBisKey said:

I plan on getting a new GPU soon, my question is is it absolutely necessary to DDU the drivers from the old card?

It's certainly not a requirement to use DDU to completely remove all traces of your old driver off of your system and most of the times I just skip the step and uninstall normally through Device Manager without issues (usually). If a problem/s occur after installing the new card and it's drivers then I would try DDU and troubleshoot from there.

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

@Boomwebsearch 

7 minutes ago, RGBisKey said:

The answers here are very odd and very wrong. DDU is mandatory when changing the card else you are extremely likely to experience a varying degree of issues with performance, stability and even image quality/colors

1 hour ago, 5x5 said:

The answers here are very odd and very wrong. DDU is mandatory when changing the card else you are extremely likely to experience a varying degree of issues with performance, stability and even image quality/colors

I'd add disagree vote, as mostly there is no conflict when changing to different GPU.

I don't know why say it's mandatory? I've swapped about 20 graphics cards in the past 10 years, no conflicts. Rather more often conflicts appear after updating to new Windows 10 insider build.

The only inconvenience has been the control center of either nVidia or AMD being run on startup. So maybe removing drivers in regular uninstall method would be a good idea. Could use DDU, but if changing from AMD to AMD or nVidia to nVidia, there's usually no problem.

... but I'm no expert

1 hour ago, Tan3l6 said:

I'd add disagree vote, as mostly there is no conflict when changing to different GPU.

I don't know why say it's mandatory? I've swapped about 20 graphics cards in the past 10 years, no conflicts. Rather more often conflicts appear after updating to new Windows 10 insider build.

The only inconvenence has been the control center of either nVidia or AMD being run on startup. So maybe removing drivers in regular uninstall method would be a good idea. Could use DDU, but if changing from AMD to AMD or nVidia to nVidia, there's usually no problem.

Every time you change the core architecture you o write a bunch of files, you change around a bunch of registry entries and the result can be mild yes or it can result in total OS corruption (has happened to me twice) so I would always advise DDau as a safe and sound method

4 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Every time you change the core architecture you o write a bunch of files, you change around a bunch of registry entries and the result can be mild yes or it can result in total OS corruption (has happened to me twice) so I would always advise DDau as a safe and sound method

That's complete BS...well, maybe for AMD I don't know...but Nvidia cards all use the same drivers..you can pop out a gtx 1080 and pop in a 2080ti and you don't even need to reinstall anything...and no you won't get any of the stuff you talk about.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI GTX 1080Ti Gaming X Trio 2ghz OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Rift S

48 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

That's complete BS...well, maybe for AMD I don't know...but Nvidia cards all use the same drivers..you can pop out a gtx 1080 and pop in a 2080ti and you don't even need to reinstall anything...and no you won't get any of the stuff you talk about.

Popped out a GTX 750 To, popped in a 960, I got into a GPU driver bsod loop. It's not bs at all, it's what happens when you don't clean up the mess Nvidia drivers create when hot swapping cards

I have only used it to roll back drivers and when upgrading/downgrading video cards.

With Nvidia cards I always download the driver and select Custom (Advanced), then click "Perform Clean Install" when doing updates.

I also run at least 2 older games before and after an update since they are the games that suffer the most from new drivers. That is usually a game that uses the havok physics engine(Skyrim or Fallout 3 or 4) and whatever isometric game(Xcom, Fallout) I have installed.

There was a time at I had to have a dedicated computer to play old games so it is important to me that they stay working properly. 

RIG#1 CPU: Intel i9 10900k | Motherboard: ASUS ROG Maximus XII Hero | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: EVGA  RTX 2080 ti FTW3 ULTRA | PSU: EVGA 1300 G2 | Case: Cooler Master H500M | Cooler: SilverStone PF360 | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i7 8086k, 5ghz all cores| Motherboard: ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero | RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti FTW3 ULTRA | PSU: Corsair RMx1000W | Case: Cooler Master HAF X | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 9900k, 5ghz all cores| Motherboard: AORUS Z390 Ultra | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 ti SC | PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD: Samsung 870 EVO 2TB | Monitor:Samsung 28" 4k 60hz  

4 hours ago, 5x5 said:

Popped out a GTX 750 To, popped in a 960, I got into a GPU driver bsod loop. It's not bs at all, it's what happens when you don't clean up the mess Nvidia drivers create when hot swapping cards

never happened to me in over 15 years of using nvidia cards and building custom systems and upgrading machines for me, work, friends, clients and family...dunno where you're coming from with this, sorry!

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI GTX 1080Ti Gaming X Trio 2ghz OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Rift S

4 hours ago, 5x5 said:

when hot swapping cards

It’s probably the fact you hot swapped cards lmao.

Quote me for a reply, React if I was helpful, informative, or funny

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

6 minutes ago, Letgomyleghoe said:

Yeah haha...it's better to at least power the system off lol

4 hours ago, Letgomyleghoe said:

4 hours ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

Yeah haha...it's better to at least power the system off lol

System was obviously powered off, hot swap as in not making a single software change.

From my experience, it is generally not necessary.

I tested GTX780, 960, 970, 1070, 1070ti, RTX2070s with exact same driver. All of them work properly.