Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

LF a quiet and fast B/W PostScript printer w/ parallel

Go to solution Solved by Nicholatian,

After a lot of searching, I decided to go with the HP LaserJet 4000 series, as it appears to support PostScript and was available secondhand within my budget. The toner is not super plentiful but there are some on sale, and it takes a parallel input.

I have a Gridcase 1520 from the late 1980s that I need to print from using the installed Microsoft Works 2.00. Going from the directory listing of C:\WORKS it seems that my best bet for printer support is going to be in the PostScript driver, POSTSCRP.PRD. The Gridcase of course only offers parallel ports for this, and I’m fairly sure it only supports Level 1 of PostScript. I’m absolutely lost looking for printers and I want to get this right, I have $150 to spend not counting ink. What do you recommend?

My GitHub — The Injustice of Complexity in Computing — Abusive Relationships With Programming Languages

The only horror is that horror is no longer possible.

Wouldn't it be easier to transfer the things you want to print onto a floppy disk and then use a usb floppy drive to transfer that to a modern PC for printing?

Or is that not possible?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3600 / GPU: Radeon HD7970 GHz 3GB(upgrade pending) / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Just now, TetraSky said:

Wouldn't it be easier to transfer the things you want to print onto a floppy disk and then use a usb floppy drive to transfer that to a modern PC for printing?

Or is that not possible?

no it wouldn’t be easier, as the work is done on the computer.

My GitHub — The Injustice of Complexity in Computing — Abusive Relationships With Programming Languages

3 minutes ago, Nicholatian said:

no it wouldn’t be easier, as the work is done on the computer.

Yes, I get that. (Though as to why you'd want to use this machine, is a mystery to me...)

But as far as finding a printer that would work with a 40 year old machine without any issues today... It might be easier to do the extra steps of transferring the files you want to print if the floppy still drive works. But that's just me.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3600 / GPU: Radeon HD7970 GHz 3GB(upgrade pending) / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

4 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

Yes, I get that. (Though as to why you'd want to use this machine, is a mystery to me...)

But as far as finding a printer that would work with a 40 year old machine without any issues today... It might be easier to do the extra steps of transferring the files you want to print if the floppy still drive works. But that's just me.

I already know what I need, it’s just a PostScript Level 1 printer. I know this will work over parallel because I know how PostScript works. My problem is finding the best printer that does this.

After a lot of searching, I decided to go with the HP LaserJet 4000 series, as it appears to support PostScript and was available secondhand within my budget. The toner is not super plentiful but there are some on sale, and it takes a parallel input.