Do I need a switch or router?

Manicmaniac

I have searched but dident really find an answer. My modem is in another room on the other side of the house along with the router that our ISP provided but my new computer and my xbox are in another room on the other side of the house and I really want to wire both, I have been using the xbox wireless but now that im building a new computer thats going in the same room I think its worth it to actually run cable. So can I use a switch and run just 1 cable from the ISP provided router to a switch in the other room then from the switch out to both the xbox and new computer? Or do I actually need to run a separate cable from each to the router?

You can go with just the switch without problems.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

A switch will work fine!

Spoiler

If you want your own personal Network kinda, you can get a router. 

The short, cheap answer: Yes, a switch will work fine.  Just make sure your run from router to switch is 100m or less.

7 hours ago, carsonian said:

Try crimping the ends too if you have the tools. It's a good little skill to know early on

For one cable, I'd have to disagree. For multiple cable runs in the house, maybe. The cost of the tools, cable spool and time isn't worth it in the long term these days.

Although I agree that it is a good skill to have, getting the exact length of ethernet cable needed should be more than sufficient. This saves on time, money and the possibility of a bad crimp.

11 hours ago, carsonian said:

Awesome thank you so much that is cheaper than the one I was about to get from new egg. Also does this cable seem ok? I was expecting 100 foot cable to be more.

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16812119183?Item=N82E16812119183

13 hours ago, mtz_federico said:

It looks good

Cool thank you very much for your response

just for you to know!

Switch is device which can take information from one port and broadcast,unicast or  multicast it out from other ports to end devices or Intermediary devices(other switches, Routers , Firewalls etc...).

Router is device which will show your end devices the gateway to other network and also let other networks to find your network.

Akinator V2 is here :D