I can't seem to settle on a laptop.

I've been looking for the perfect laptop for a while now but every time I think I found something there always a catch. I was originally looking at a Dell XPS 13 because they're pumped so much by reviewers and tech sites. After doing a little digging it seems that they suffer from major QC issues and their customer support is gutter trash. I looked into Lenovo but none of their laptops come with aluminum frames which is something I was looking for. My sister has 2 work HP laptops that have been very problematic so I passed on those as well. Eventually I said screw it and picked up a 2020 MacBook Pro 13 inch but now it looks like Apple will switch to ARM in the next few years which means developers will likely drop support ASAP like they did when Apple transitioned from PPC to Intel. I've spent so much time looking for something that I really wanted to keep the MacBook but I can't justify spending $2400 CAD for a laptop might have its lifespan cut short because of ARM. Does anyone have any suggestions for a 13-15 inch laptop with excellent build quality, a 10th gen i5/i7, and 16GB of RAM for $2500 CAD MAX? I want to keep this for the next 7 years.

MSI Prestige 15

i5 10210u - 8GB DDR4 2666MHz - GTX 1650 Max-Q - 500GB SSD

Hinges still intact!

3 minutes ago, RocketJump said:

perfect laptop

Doesn't exist.

4 minutes ago, RocketJump said:

$2500 CAD

That's like, what? 85$ in real country money? 🤪 (I kid, I kid)

4 minutes ago, RocketJump said:

I want to keep this for the next 7 years.

That might be a trick, but look up the business line from Dell, the Precision laptops. They are well built and you deal with tech support from a business-class perspective. I mean, they are still morons, but at least you can understand them.

Have you considered a Ryzen (aka AMD) powered laptop? There are some nice ones out there... 

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

6 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

You should be looking at AMD Renoir. Intel is entirely irrelevant in laptops at the moment

Interesting, thanks for bringing this to my attention.

MSI Prestige 15

Hinges still intact!

probook 445/455 G7 (14vs15) witha 4700U you can get 4-32gb ram (I'd get a single 8 or 16gb and and another) 1 m.2slot and 1 2.5in bay.

1080p 250nit screen is a good one.

I own and have made a review of the last gen 445R G6 with a 3500U

my 1 complant is the small 45WH battery

this would be my config i'd order

Spoiler
  • Windows 10 Pro 64 - HP recommends Windows 10 Pro for business
  • HP Probook 455 G7 Notebook PC with AMD Ryzen™ 7 4700U (4.1GHz max, 8 core, 8MB cache) and AMD UMA Radeon™ Graphics - 7JN03AV
  • 15.6" diagonal LED UWVA Anti-Glare FHD (1920x1080) with 2 Antennas, and IR Webcam, 250 nits
  • Integrated HD 720p IR webcam with dual-microphone array
  • 8 GB DDR4-3200 PC4 SO-DIMM memory (1 DIMM)
  • 500 GB 7200 RPM SATA hard drive
  • Premium spill-resistant keyboard, clickpad with multi-touch gesture support - Backlit
  • Realtek 802.11 b/g/n/ac (2x2) Wi-Fi® and Bluetooth® 5 combo
  • Integrated Fingerprint Sensor
  • 65-watt Smart AC Adapter, non-PFC, right-angle connector
  • 1.8m Power Cord with C5 connector
  • 3-cell 45 WHr Long Life Battery (Internal and not replaceable by customer. Serviceable by warranty.)
  • Three-year limited warranty (3/3/0)

replace the HDD with a SATA SSD if you need space but really just get a good NVME drive for less than HP price get an extra 8gb stick of DDR4

ordered from HP in USD is 885$ and then with another 150-200$ spent should be great

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

12 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

That's like, what? 85$ in real country money? 🤪 (I kid, I kid)

Pretty close! lol

12 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

That might be a trick, but look up the business line from Dell, the Precision laptops. 

I'll take a look. Is the QC better with these laptops? What's your experience with them? I heard the XPS line is good IF you get one that's well built so it seems like Dell's QC is the big issue with this line.

MSI Prestige 15

Hinges still intact!

25 minutes ago, RocketJump said:

Pretty close! lol

I'll take a look. Is the QC better with these laptops? What's your experience with them? I heard the XPS line is good IF you get one that's well built so it seems like Dell's QC is the big issue with this line.

I've heard the same thing with Dell QC. That said, I've heard good things of their precision/inspiron line. I also recommend taking a look at Lenovo Thinkpads, specifically the T series line. The T495s line has amd cpus, the rest are intel.

CPU - FX 8350 @ 4.5GHZ GPU - Radeon 5700  Mobo - M5A99FX Pro R2.0 RAM - Crucial Ballistix 16GB @ 1600 PSU - Corsair CX600M CPU Cooler - Hyper 212 EVO Storage - Samsung EVO 250GB, WD Blue 1TB

32 minutes ago, RocketJump said:

Pretty close! lol

There are more issues than just QC - they run, they have DPC Latency issues and the overall quality has declined severely.

8 hours ago, RocketJump said:

I'll take a look. Is the QC better with these laptops?

My professional experience is the Precision line is very very good. Solidly built.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me.