High ping in valorant

jtmoseley

My ping is fluctuating between 90 and 150 in valorant. What steps do I need to take to lower this?

My internet plan is 25Mbps down / 5 Mbps up. I've already set higher priority to my device through the router. I've made sure that in task manager there isn't a resource hog taking the internet. I don't know what to do. 

Do I have to upgrade my internet plan? I know that my speeds aren't anything special, but I thought they would be enough for an online game.

edit: I'm using ethernet of course. Location is Kentucky

edit 2: CSGO is showing 20-35 ping. So valorant is 4 times that.

Case: InWin 303 Motherboard: Asus TUF X570-Plus Processor: Ryzen R9-3900x GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ram: 32 GB DDR4 3000 MHZ

PSU: Corsair CX750M Storage: 1TB Intel 660p NVME SSD and a 2TB Seagate 7200RPM HDD Mouse: Logitech G600 Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014 HeadphonesSteelseries Arctis 7 Audio: Shure PGA58 with a Focusrite Scarlett Solo 3rd Gen

1 minute ago, GenericFanboy said:

Cable or wifi? If you're playing on wifi its quite clear what you need to do.

this is with ethernet****

Case: InWin 303 Motherboard: Asus TUF X570-Plus Processor: Ryzen R9-3900x GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ram: 32 GB DDR4 3000 MHZ

PSU: Corsair CX750M Storage: 1TB Intel 660p NVME SSD and a 2TB Seagate 7200RPM HDD Mouse: Logitech G600 Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014 HeadphonesSteelseries Arctis 7 Audio: Shure PGA58 with a Focusrite Scarlett Solo 3rd Gen

Whats your ping in CSGO for example.

And what does a Speedtest show you?

21 minutes ago, thewill102 said:

Whats your ping in CSGO for example.

And what does a Speedtest show you?

A speedtest shows 18ms to frankfort, 32ms to nashville. CSGO shows around 29 to 36 ping in deathmatch mode. 

Sounds like you are playing in European servers :) not sure why though.. VPN? Is ping always this high? Are you playing with friends who live in EU?

2 minutes ago, Envit0 said:

Sounds like you are playing in European servers :) not sure why though.. VPN? Is ping always this high? Are you playing with friends who live in EU?

No VPN. And its in solo queue. Ping has been like this since it went out of beta, so around 2 or 3 weeks I guess.

17 minutes ago, jtmoseley said:

No VPN. And its in solo queue. Ping has been like this since it went out of beta, so around 2 or 3 weeks I guess.

Got it, super weeeird then. I will try to check if I find any info...

-> Moved to PC Gaming

Have you tried with another Riot game? Testing with CSGO only shows thats issue is not purely your side of things. CSGO uses Valve's servers while Valorant uses Riot's.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

41 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

-> Moved to PC Gaming

Have you tried with another Riot game? Testing with CSGO only shows thats issue is not purely your side of things. CSGO uses Valve's servers while Valorant uses Riot's.

I will try League now. Thanks for the suggestions.

Edit: League was between 50 and 60. Also nowhere near 90 or 150 that I get on valorant.

• 1 month later...
On 6/18/2020 at 7:41 PM, jtmoseley said:

I will try League now. Thanks for the suggestions.

Edit: League was between 50 and 60. Also nowhere near 90 or 150 that I get on valorant.

50 to 60 in league is still weird tho .. so the "maybe you are on a wrong server" is still a valid option.
Have you tried contacting riot to see onto which server you are hopping to (they should be able to figure that out)?

Remember: If you want me to see your reply - Quote me!

If your question has been solved, please mark the thread as solved by choosing the answer that has helped you the most as the correct/solving one.

Please also use appropriate titles. Titles should be a short description of your situation to get people interested in looking at your thread. Titles such as "help" or "i have a problem" (etc.) will only lead to you getting less to zero help, cause people won't be able to tell what this thread is about and therefore don't bother looking into it.