Linux gaming is BETTER than Windows?

12 hours ago, mr moose said:

I used it for about 2/3 years a while back, it was fine as a generic desktop that you use for the basics (office, web and email).  But as soon as you try to do anything specific (game, industry specific software like room acoustics or smarrt etc) forget it.  just a headache in a box.  I had to go back to windows when My kids started high school and I wanted to play ESO. 

I imagine not a lot has changed bar for a few games doing native support here and there. 

I can rant for an hour about how fucking trash linux is as a desktop OS.  It works great until you actually need to use it for anything and then you find it's a cobbled together piece of shit with zero support available and whatever you find on forums is outdated after 6 months becaues devs have  ADD and change modules and components of distros every week.

Anyone want to disagree with me?  Go off and let me know how many times the audio subsystem for your favorite distro has been changed, because NONE of them actually work fully so they're constantly trying different ones playing whack-a-mole of "well maybe this will work".

Ultimate fucking irony is the ONLY linux distros that are even remotely tolerable / functional are ones that basically behave like chinese knockoffs of Windows.  You know what works better?  USE FUCKING WINDOWS.

Same with most open source software.  GIMP is trash compared to Photoshop.  OpenOffice is trash compared to Office.  List goes on and on.  You want a proper functioning piece of software...pay someone to develop it.  Don't get some nerdy asshole who does it in their spare time for open source.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

1 minute ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Anyone want to disagree with me?  Go off and let me know how many times the audio subsystem for your favorite distro has been changed, because NONE of them actually work fully so they're constantly trying different ones playing whack-a-mole of "well maybe this will work".

I will disagree. Pulseaudio has been the standard for years now, and it works wonderfully. I have had zero audio problems on any of my machines that I've used Linux on. Hell, I haven't had any OS-related problems on any of my machines. Linux works better for me and my machines than Windows does.

3 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Ultimate fucking irony is the ONLY linux distros that are even remotely tolerable / functional are ones that basically behave like chinese knockoffs of Windows.  You know what works better?  USE FUCKING WINDOWS.

Gonna have to disagree with this, too. First of all, the behaviour you see is the DE, not the distro. The OS itself works far different than Windows does, and most DEs look very different compared to Windows. I'm not sure what you were using that "behaved like a Chinese knockoff of Windows", and I can't see where you're getting these ideas from.

4 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

I can rant for an hour about how fucking trash linux is as a desktop OS.  It works great until you actually need to use it for anything and then you find it's a cobbled together piece of shit with zero support available and whatever you find on forums is outdated after 6 months becaues devs have  ADD and change modules and components of distros every week.

Not sure what you mean by this, either. Again, Linux has worked better than Windows for my desktop and my laptop. I don't have to worry about an update breaking my computer, or having to update all my programs individually with their own little installers that I have to download from their own separate websites, hell I don't even have to worry about viruses or whatever.

I also find that most of the time, even information that is multiple years old will solve my problem or at least help me diagnose it. And if I can't find the answer I am looking for, I'll just ask on /r/linux4noobs or something and get help in hours or even minutes.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

4 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

I'm not sure what you were using that "behaved like a Chinese knockoff of Windows", and I can't see where you're getting these ideas from.

Perhaps we should stop feeding the troll? Of course, he's entirely entitled to his opinion, but that doesn't make it truth.

Actually, the one thing that puts a smile on me face is when I tell Win-OS fan-bois that for every webpage they visit in their MS-browser, they use a dozen or so Linux machines to get the info on their screen. Their reactions are often priceless :P

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

1 minute ago, Dutch_Master said:

Perhaps we should stop feeding the troll? Of course, he's entirely entitled to his opinion, but that doesn't make it truth.

Actually, the one thing that puts a smile on me face is when I tell Win-OS fan-bois that for every webpage they visit in their MS-browser, they use a dozen or so Linux machines to get the info on their screen. Their reactions are often priceless :P

The fact that Microsoft themselves runs their servers on Linux instead of Windows Server or whatever says a lot about their OS...

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Been attempting to use *nix since the mid-90s.

It was going good, until the systemD mind-set took over good distros (I'm looking at you Ubuntu) 

For casual, youtube browsing, steam gaming, sure, knock yourself out.

Wanna do real work? Back to Windows.

And I say this as a person who has more *nix systems than Win* systems in my house.

Two steps forward, three back.

What pisses me off most about *nix, is they scream from every rooftop they can find that they are better and different, than slavishly copy everything Apple or Redmond do in the UI dept, and in several other places.

You wanna be better and different? Then turn off your photocopiers and focus on being better and different.

BeOS had it right decades ago.

/rant over

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

9 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Not sure when you ran GNU/Linux but I'd say that in the last 5 or so years a lot more of our program has moved to online solutions. Even Microsoft are heavily pushing for PWA, and all of those works with GNU/Linux. So I'd say that the lack of native software people are used to is becoming less and less of an issue as time goes on.

I'd say that 50% of the average Joe would not have any problems whatsoever using GNU/Linux as their main OS, with a minimal amount of relearning (which is pretty hard).

That's exactly what I was saying,  for an average desktop there are no problems, it's once you get into the industry specific that it becomes a lot harder/almost impossible.   

9 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Out of the remaining people, 40% would have issues with gaming primarily, and that's something that is being worked on by Valve and (hopefully) as developers move over to Vulcan.

The remaining 10% are those who need a particular piece of software like the Adobe suite.

And autocad and their ilk of software.  My issue was audio specific.  As I do P.A installations I need good outboard gear and recording analysis software,  I could never get my stuff to work on linux and as far as I know they never released a linux version.

Many of the articles and work around's I found are still the same, use wine or run a VM with windows on it.At that point I am better  running windows in the first place because I can't afford to put too many points of failure in my gear, I need to get accurate measurements when I am onsite first time.  I imagine for people who are more professional than I am they would be more opposed to running windows in a VM just to use an alternative OS. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

7 hours ago, LAwLz said:

That sounds like you're either making that up, or there was something seriously wrong with your router.

Not making it up. There may have been something wrong with my router, but that fact that it would only crash when using Linux means Linux was causing the crash. 

Happened on manjaro, mint and Ubuntu and was connected to the same usb to Ethernet adapter i use when it was running windows. 

Wireless worked fine. 

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

10 hours ago, Nayr438 said:

TKG Wine builds.(...)

Thanks for the information. It seems I'd have to learn a thing or two to try this, but mostly I may have to try Manjaro, as I'm currently using Debian children (Mint, U Mate). We'll see how it goes.

I use the epic store, uplay, and origin store with this config, just pull the lutris install script for the launcher, when its done launch it when prompted and then close it and adjust the lutris config.

I would be running GOG games or other games I have standalone installers for, so I won't need any of those, just for Lutris to run the games themselves.

Anno 1800 works as well with Denuvo DRM and networking, However i don't recommend playing anno. This game actually performs quite poorly under wine with

significant slowdowns and load times. Takes me 15 minutes just to reach a playable state, performance once in game is 40% of what it is on windows with random freezes. While Denuvo works, I imagine it is whats causing the slow downs.  https://lonewolf.pedrohlc.com/chaotic-aur/

Do you know whether this is a drawback from using Lutris instead of Proton, or is it independent of that?

7 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

Is it, though? I find the opposite: Windows is a "requirement" for many forms of entertainment (gaming, paid streaming services, even pirate stuff). However, for "real work" everything is available, and works better, under Linux. Not only the programs perform equal or better than in Windows, but also the OS itself being more stable, predictable, and lean helps to get work done. I say this having used both extensively for work (but mostly Windows for casual use).

I guess it depends on what line of work on, but in my experience the full list of reasons to use Windows for work is:

1. Your workplace uses Windows and you have no say in it
  2. Your workplace uses Windows and you have no say in it
  3. ...
  4. ...
  5. Your job does indeed rely on a specific piece of software only available in Windows
  6. ...

I certainly use Windows at work because of reason 1 (and 2 :P), but the software we use to "get real work done" would perform better in Linux. 

Don't get me wrong, I still hate Linux for everything that's bad about it :D But in my experience, "real work" is one of its strengths.

You could say that, to me, Windows is the emperor (bad and supposed to be bad) and Linux is Anakin (supposed to save us, but ultimately bad). Still my only hope is for a Linux redemption :P 

4 hours ago, Arika S said:

Not making it up. There may have been something wrong with my router, but that fact that it would only crash when using Linux means Linux was causing the crash. 

Happened on manjaro, mint and Ubuntu and was connected to the same usb to Ethernet adapter i use when it was running windows. 

Wireless worked fine. 

Honestly with the way some ISP's are, I wouldnt be surprised if they purposefully put a kill switch in their rental routers so it doesnt work with with desktop linux. Do I wear a tinfoil hat? Probably. Would i put it past comcast or AT&T? No.

Daily Driver (Lenovo Y700 Laptop)

Manjaro Linux  ||||  Intel Core i7-6700HQ  ||||  16GB DDR4-2666    ||||   GeForce GTX 960m  

250GB Samsung 970 Evo | 500GB Samung 840 Evo 

Windows Gaming PC

Windows 10 Pro  |||   Intel Core i7-10700k  |||   32GB DDR4-3600  |||   GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER  |||   MSI z490 A-Pro  |||   EVGA Supernova G2 650w 80+ Gold

120GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue 7200RPM

Bedroom HTPC and Emulation Box

Manjaro Linux  ||||   Intel Xeon E3-1231v3  ||||   8GB DDR3-1333  |||  Radeon RX 460   |||  Asus B85M-G

120GB SSD

Living Room HTPC - Optiplex 790 SFF

Manjaro Linux  |||  Intel Core i5-2400  |||  8GB DDR3-1333  |||  Radeon HD 5450

120GB SSD

1 minute ago, seapriestess said:

Honestly with the way some ISP's are, I wouldnt be surprised if they purposefully put a kill switch in their rental routers so it doesnt work with with desktop linux. Do I wear a tinfoil hat? Probably. Would i put it past comcast or AT&T? No.

I live in Australia and it was my own router.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

4 minutes ago, Arika S said:

I live in Australia

Well, that explains it! Linux is really powerful, so it pushed a ton of electrons into your router and the router must have not been properly designed for use upside-down, thereby not being able to contain all those electrons and so all the electrons fell down into the sky below and into space!

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

6 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Well, that explains it! Linux is really powerful, so it pushed a ton of electrons into your router and the router must have not been properly designed for use upside-down, thereby not being able to contain all those electrons and so all the electrons fell down into the sky below and into space!

Thats just what happens when you forget to bolt your electrons down, they should have known.

Daily Driver (Lenovo Y700 Laptop)

Manjaro Linux  ||||  Intel Core i7-6700HQ  ||||  16GB DDR4-2666    ||||   GeForce GTX 960m  

250GB Samsung 970 Evo | 500GB Samung 840 Evo 

Windows Gaming PC

Windows 10 Pro  |||   Intel Core i7-10700k  |||   32GB DDR4-3600  |||   GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER  |||   MSI z490 A-Pro  |||   EVGA Supernova G2 650w 80+ Gold

120GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue 7200RPM

Bedroom HTPC and Emulation Box

Manjaro Linux  ||||   Intel Xeon E3-1231v3  ||||   8GB DDR3-1333  |||  Radeon RX 460   |||  Asus B85M-G

120GB SSD

Living Room HTPC - Optiplex 790 SFF

Manjaro Linux  |||  Intel Core i5-2400  |||  8GB DDR3-1333  |||  Radeon HD 5450

120GB SSD

23 hours ago, seapriestess said:

The thing is that software like that has alternatives on linux and oftentimes they are better.

The hard part isnt switching to Linux, its learning a new ecosystem of software.

That's a fair argument except where the learning part ends up costing you valuable time and money. I am already familiar with Windows and yes, OS options are always great. But if the switch takes away $$$ and weeks that might not be recouped, or worse, support problems down the line, it becomes a valid concern if a different operating system really is the right (or best) tool for the job. At the end of the day I just want something that works.

6 hours ago, Arika S said:

I live in Australia and it was my own router.

We all know that ISPs are assholes regardless of region. The plot thickens!

Main Rig :

Ryzen 7 2700X | Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8 GB | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 | 16 GB TeamGroup Elite 2400MHz | Samsung 750 EVO 240 GB | HGST 7200 RPM 1 TB | Seasonic M12II EVO | CoolerMaster Q300L | Dell U2518D | Dell P2217H | 

Laptop :

Thinkpad X230 | i5 3320M | 8 GB DDR3 | V-Gen 128 GB SSD |

7 hours ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Do you know whether this is a drawback from using Lutris instead of Proton, or is it independent of that?

Proton performs similarly, however with networking issues. Recently we have been getting Denuvo specific wine patches upstream however, so if it is related, it could be potentially fixed in the future and eventually trickle its way into Proton.

1 hour ago, Luscious said:

That's a fair argument except where the learning part ends up costing you valuable time and money. I am already familiar with Windows and yes, OS options are always great. But if the switch takes away $$$ and weeks that might not be recouped, or worse, support problems down the line, it becomes a valid concern if a different operating system really is the right (or best) tool for the job. At the end of the day I just want something that works.

Then by all means, buy a Mac :P

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

23 minutes ago, Dutch_Master said:

Then by all means, buy a Mac :P

I wonder if Mac users are like Mercedes Benz drivers - always "trading up" after the warranty expires.

8 hours ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Your job does indeed rely on a specific piece of software only available in Windows

I work for the gov't, specifically a <redacted by NDA> and the software we use to get shit done, is windows-only. The vendors, who make this very specific software, are windows only, no Mac, no *nix, no SGI, no Sparc, Windows. Multi-million dollar pieces of equipment are Windows only.

In my private life, I'm a photographer. While I can do without PhotoShop, *nix has absolutely no alternative to LightRoom. The workflow, the plug-ins, the flexibility. Zippo.

And yes, I've tried DarkTable, and all the others, they don't come close.

For that matter, neither does GIMP as a substitute  for PS, but since I don't 'shop my images, it's less of an issue for me.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

5 hours ago, Luscious said:

To be fair, I don't find the transition to Windows 10 any less costly than the transition to something like Ubuntu or its derivatives (exclusive software aside). Microsoft put a lot of effort into leveling the playing field :P 

2 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

I work for the gov't, specifically a <redacted by NDA> and the software we use to get shit done, is windows-only. The vendors, who make this very specific software, are windows only, no Mac, no *nix, no SGI, no Sparc, Windows. Multi-million dollar pieces of equipment are Windows only.

I work for <NoDoxxing> too. Yes, sadly "millions of public money" and "well spent" hardly go together :P And that includes running the whole intranet on Windows. An additional problem at large institutions, whether public or private, is that paying someone for things gets you someone outside the organization to escalate issues to, and eventually pass the blame on if things go wrong. That's a nontrivial part of the closed software business model. You would need a Red Hat equivalent for everything in your organization at the end of the day, or good luck getting the IT head to recommend anything but commercial solutions with external support.

However, the software at the core of our job (Matlab, Fortran, Stata, R, Julia, LaTeX... even Python) would work at least as well, and in some cases significantly better, on Linux. But then all IT responsibility would be kept in-house. The good news is that the tools to access remote work are available on all platforms, so at least what I use on my devices is independent of the institution's choices.

In the end, I don't think there is a difference between work and leisure: if you need or strongly prefer a piece of software, be it a game, a computational tool, a purpose-built control suite for specialized equipment, etc., and the developer chose to tie it to a specific OS, then you' have to go with it regardless of pros and cons. I still don't think it wold make that OS "better for work" in itself, especially as those constraints will vary from individual case to individual case :) 

52 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

access remote work

The amusing part is that Citrix to my work box, works exceptionally better and faster under Ubuntu 16.04 than my Win box.

Go figure.

On 6/17/2020 at 12:23 PM, FauxDragoon said:

I heard a lot of Steam mention in this video but the thing I'm curious about is other platforms. I use GOG 2.0 as my central game launcher so I can install and run games off of Steam, GOG, Rockstar, Bethesda, Origin, Uplay and Twitch. Does Proton only work on games from Steam? Also what about Bnet titles like Overwatch?

Look at the files you get when you download the Linux version of GOG-sold games.

Specifically very recent updates.

👀

Can someone tell me what is the super cool wooden case is that Anthony has for his linux Maschine?

I want this case reaaaaalllly bad.

1 hour ago, M P said:

Can someone tell me what is the super cool wooden case is that Anthony has for his linux Maschine?

It looks like a System 76 pre-built. They make computers that ship with Linux. Specifically, Pop! OS, which they maintain.

6 hours ago, M P said:

Say goodbye to your money.

https://system76.com/desktops

On 6/18/2020 at 9:48 PM, Radium_Angel said:

On 6/19/2020 at 5:39 AM, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Is it, though? I find the opposite: Windows is a "requirement" for many forms of entertainment (gaming, paid streaming services, even pirate stuff). However, for "real work" everything is available, and works better, under Linux. Not only the programs perform equal or better than in Windows, but also the OS itself being more stable, predictable, and lean helps to get work done. I say this having used both extensively for work (but mostly Windows for casual use).

What SpaceGhost said is what I have found to be true too, which is strange since a lot of people on the Internet always goes on about how "real work" is done on Windows, yet the most common answer to why someone doesn't use GNU/Linux is "I wanna play games".

If we're talking about "real work" in IT, then GNU/Linux is king. But I suspect a lot of people who talk about "real work" being done on Windows doesn't actually work with IT. To me, "real work" is programming, running servers, network configuration, IT management, security testing and hardening, and things like that. For those things, GNU/Linux is usually waaaaay more for "real work" than Windows.

But if you don't work in IT and instead work with for example sending mail, writing things in Word and Excel, making power point presentations, and stuff like that then Windows is probably the best suited for the task (especially since MS Office is king in the office world). Not a whole lot of media applications exist for GNU/Linux either so that field is dominated by Windows and MacOS as well.

I guess Windows domain admin is one of the rare exceptions where you don't need GNU/Linux when you work with IT.