Possible release date and price of PS5 leaked on Amazon France

Do you think the PS5 price is reasonable  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think the PS5 price is reasonable

• Yes around 5 to 600 USD is good
    • No it should cost less

After last weeks preview of the upcoming Playstation 5 the console was posted this week on amazons french site. Amazon "accidentaly" posted the price and release date of the console on a pre-order page which was visible for the public. Hence amazon has taken down the page and made it invisible to the public but when you give in the complete url (https://www.amazon.fr/Playstation-Sony-Console/dp/B087VL1YHH?th=1%20) the page still exists without the price and date of release.

If the page can believed it confirms the holiday release of 20 november 2020 for a price of 499 Euros (around 550 to 600 USD). This for the optical drive version of the console. The price of the all digital version us still unknown.

Courtesy to Hardware Info Holland for first noticing the leak. Original Article (IN DUTCH) (https://nl.hardware.info/nieuws/72284/mogelijke-prijs-en-releasedatum-playstation-5-op-amazon-frankrijk)

084611_image.jpg

I would be surprised if this was anything other than a placeholder page. Companies do this all the time before actually knowing the price or release date of a future product. 

If the pricing is correct (and it does seem reasonable) it's likely due to an accurate guess more than anything. 

I think it will be around 500 for the discless Version because Sony knows they’ll get their money back from digital sales 

even if 100 €$£ more expensive I’d get the disc version for sharing games playing DVDs and being a little more independent fro digital prices

Edited by Drama Lama

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

500 euros was the release price of the original xbox one back in the day so yes. sounds perfectly reasonable.

If the digital only costs 400 bucks, it's all good tbh.

Expect the US price to be 500 bucks btw. Usually the final number in US dollars is the same in euros so assuming it's the same the other way round is perfectly reasonable.

Iirc the PS4 was 400 euros at launch so even tho they aren't announced yet, it's a reasonable guess.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

The price almost certainly hasn’t been finalized yet, that’s one of the last things Sony will do and both Sony and Microsoft are watching each other because neither wants to make the first move on price. 

This screams placeholder to me.

I also think the disc-less SKU is very unlikely to be €100 less. Disc drives don’t cost nearly that much so most of that €100 would be a reduction in margin, which makes no sense from Sony’s perspective. 

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT | ASUS ROG Strix X470-F | 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB @3400MHz | EVGA RTX 2080S XC Ultra | EVGA GQ 650 | HP EX920 1TB / Crucial MX500 500GB / Samsung Spinpoint 1TB | Cooler Master H500M

7 hours ago, melete said:

The price almost certainly hasn’t been finalized yet, that’s one of the last things Sony will do and both Sony and Microsoft are watching each other because neither wants to make the first move on price. 

This screams placeholder to me.

I also think the disc-less SKU is very unlikely to be €100 less. Disc drives don’t cost nearly that much so most of that €100 would be a reduction in margin, which makes no sense from Sony’s perspective. 

well like they said in the wan show if you buy a physical game from a retailer they have a 20ish% margin on the game while if you buy it directly from sony online they get all of/a bigger cut of the profit

11 hours ago, ItsReidar said:

After last weeks preview of the upcoming Playstation 5 the console was posted this week on amazons french site. Amazon "accidentaly" posted the price and release date of the console on a pre-order page which was visible for the public. Hence amazon has taken down the page and made it invisible to the public but when you give in the complete url (https://www.amazon.fr/Playstation-Sony-Console/dp/B087VL1YHH?th=1%20) the page still exists without the price and date of release.

If the page can believed it confirms the holiday release of 20 november 2020 for a price of 499 Euros (around 550 to 600 USD). This for the optical drive version of the console. The price of the all digital version us still unknown.

Courtesy to Hardware Info Holland for first noticing the leak. Original Article (IN DUTCH) (https://nl.hardware.info/nieuws/72284/mogelijke-prijs-en-releasedatum-playstation-5-op-amazon-frankrijk)

084611_image.jpg

All digital is supposedly 399€, see @BenGeskin on Twitter. It only shows a screen shot of the non digital but is probably accurate. 

Why is the image so damn small, was it resize on purpose?

Here is the larger version

084611_image.thumb.jpg.d4b0afe8f80030b90f79ba37f601dff6.jpg

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

I'm not a huge console gamer so I think the price is a bit much.

I think if Sony wants to push for digital-only going forward, they need to incentivize properly.

Like, the disc version costing $500, but disc-less is $400 is nice, but I think they should up the storage capacity on the disc-less to 2TB for $400 or $450. They'll make their money back anyway if they have to take a loss on the storage for the disc-less since everyone would be buying digital anyway through their store.

Personally I just don't see the point buying disc-less unless you have unlimited high speed internet. For the disc version you can resell your games and don't have to worry about your internet speed as much.

6 hours ago, huilun02 said:

Why buy what is essentially a computer, but instead of being able to used to pay for itself, is instead artificially constrained to bleed your wallet at a faster rate?

Because even though most of us on here are PC gamers and/or know a lot about PC's, Joe Shmoe down the street doesn't know and frankly does not care about PC's. But he/she loves God of War and the only way to play it is on PlayStation.

It's also why most of us here on this forum probably work in IT as well. If everyone knew about computers, IT wouldn't be a critical job sector.

I think the PS5 with be exactly $100 cheaper than its Xbox counter part. I believe the PS5 will cost $599 and the Xbox will cost $699 (the highest end version of each). That said, if they both decide to take a hit on the price of the console in hopes of making that profit back via other sales (games, subscriptions... etc.), I could see $499 for the PS5 and $599 for the Xbox. Either way, the hardware in these consoles cost much more than previous generations, so I doubt those who say the price will stay the same as previous years. 

Edit: Mind you, the Xbox Series X will be having a 8 core 16 thread 7nm AMD processor in it. Combined with a proper desktop grade GPU. It will not cost less than the price of those two components alone. 

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

Ah ffs, really? So expensive for a console. And you're still gonna have to pay for online and whatnot.

Inb4 Microsoft pulls some shit like this:

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

The poll is lacking the "who cares, build a gaming PC" option?

got to have standards now.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

11 hours ago, EChondo said:

Personally I just don't see the point buying disc-less unless you have unlimited high speed internet. For the disc version you can resell your games and don't have to worry about your internet speed as much.

Cause disc stopped making sense when you have to download a day-one patch that is as large as the game itself on the disc, and the game is unplayable without that patch.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Expected pricing. PS3 was 599 because of expensive special chipset, PS4 was 399 and PS5 given its capabilities should fit right in between. At 499.

23 hours ago, huilun02 said:

Why buy what is essentially a computer, but instead of being able to used to pay for itself, is instead artificially constrained to bleed your wallet at a faster rate?

because some people want value for their money among other things. Is that such a hard concept to grasp?

17 hours ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Ah ffs, really? So expensive for a console. And you're still gonna have to pay for online and whatnot.

Inb4 Microsoft pulls some shit like this:

It's not that expensive for a console especially if you consider the technical leaps that they've managed to pull off. Like linus said, for once a console might be leading the charge in a hardware segment and the PC might be about to become the lowest common denominator.

On 6/17/2020 at 4:36 PM, ItsReidar said:

084611_image.jpg

Found this on a Danish site for a supermarkets..

They posted it for pre-order for about 1000 USD. 

https://www.foetex.dk/sony-playstation-5/p/100532624

On 6/19/2020 at 9:09 PM, huilun02 said:

You seem to have a strange understanding of "value for money"

Consoles will always beat PC's in the value department, always have and always will.

I'd probably grab PS5, but my TV has such big input lag I can't play PS2 on it.

Iirc Sony took a bath on the PlayStation 3 when they tried to sell it below cost because someone hacked it and people were stacking hundreds of the things into wolfram clusters. I could see them selling at cost but below cost is unlikely unless they’re VERY sure of their DRM. The problem is if they sell very far below cost it incentivizes hackers to break the things open.  At $400 the APU alone starts to beat out current machines cost wise. It’s an 8/16 with a big ass gpu.  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

2 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Iirc Sony took a bath on the PlayStation 3 when they tried to sell it below cost because someone hacked it and people were stacking hundreds of the things into wolfram clusters. I could see them selling at cost but below cost is unlikely unless they’re VERY sure of their DRM. The problem is if they sell very far below cost it incentivizes hackers to break the things open.  At $400 the APU alone starts to beat out current machines cost wise. It’s an 8/16 with a big ass gpu.  

Wut?

there was mo hack required, installing a different OS was  feature the PS3 launched with that Sony themselves advertised.

And the military isn't just some random hacker

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

2 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

Wut?

there was mo hack required, installing a different OS was  feature the PS3 launched with that Sony themselves advertised.

And the military isn't just some random hacker

This wasn’t the way I heard it.  I wasn’t paying a lot of attention to game consoles at the time though.  Your information might be better than mine.  Either way a lot of groups bought the system and then didn’t buy any games for it.  I hadn’t heard of Sony advertising use of other OSes.  

I heard the system was opened very early though, and Sony couldn’t fix it.  I can see them  going with the inevitable and advertising it as a feature rather than a bug.  My understanding was that it was not a straight forward thing which implies it was not intentional.  I remember thinking of buying one, discovering it was not easy to make work and produced a somewhat limited solution and deciding it wasn’t worth the trouble.

Seems kind of strange to sell the thing at a loss with the intent of people buying games to make the money back and then point out the thing didn’t need to have anything bought for it to be useful. Could have happened though. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

18 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

This wasn’t the way I heard it.  I wasn’t paying a lot of attention to game consoles at the time though.  Your information might be better than mine.  Either way a lot of groups bought the system and then didn’t buy any games for it.  I hadn’t heard of Sony advertising use of other OSes.  

I heard the system was opened very early though, and Sony couldn’t fix it.  I can see them  going with the inevitable and advertising it as a feature rather than a bug.  My understanding was that it was not a straight forward thing which implies it was not intentional.  I remember thinking of buying one, discovering it was not easy to make work and produced a somewhat limited solution and deciding it wasn’t worth the trouble.

Seems kind of strange to sell the thing at a loss with the intent of people buying games to make the money back and then point out the thing didn’t need to have anything bought for it to be useful. Could have happened though. 

PS3 otherOS feature

military ps3 cluster

OtherOS class action lawsuit

What broke the security on the PS3, spoiler alert: it wasn't OtherOS

12 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

So OtherOS was built in initially, but later removed.  The military wasn’t the only group that did it.  I doubt that matters though.  The link indicates Sony removed the feature because they were worried about a possible break in rather than one that actually took place, whereas the argument I read stated that that the reason Sony removed otherOS was people often weren’t buying games for the machine but were instead using it purely as a Linux machine and they were losing money.  Makes me question how much money was actually lost.  Does explain why the thing didn’t appear to be very useful as a non games machine though for personal users such as myself.  I do remember people suddenly being on the hunt for older unupdated PS3s because they would still “work” which implies the theory about Sony wanting to sell more games was not completely without merit. There can be more than one reason to do something.

On 6/17/2020 at 4:41 PM, Octagoncow said:

I would be surprised if this was anything other than a placeholder page. Companies do this all the time before actually knowing the price or release date of a future product. 

If the pricing is correct (and it does seem reasonable) it's likely due to an accurate guess more than anything. 

At least here in Norway, the placeholder price is usually 9999, don't know if other countries use others though. But a price that close to the actual rumored one, is a it strange.