Zen 2s full efficiency potential tested - Ryzen Renoir APU runs Crysis one without needing a cooler at all

5x5

So apparently the peak efficiency has arrived. This is a Quad-Core CPU with decent integrated graphics running one of the most demanding games of the past decade without a cooler and without overheating.

Thoughts? Well, I can safely say passive laptops will become incredibly interesting with the 4300U

Source:https://www.pcgamer.com/wow-this-new-amd-ryzen-laptop-cpu-can-run-crysis-even-without-a-cooler/?utm_content=bufferb5ae9&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=buffer_pcgamerfb

That seems really impressive, imagine a virtually silent gaming laptop.

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

I might be wrong, but there seems to be an external fan on the left thats blowing air in the general direction of the APU, so not really THAT passive, but still ikmpressive that it can run without an IHS or Heatsink in any form

19 minutes ago, thewill102 said:

I might be wrong, but there seems to be an external fan on the left thats blowing air in the general direction of the APU, so not really THAT passive, but still ikmpressive that it can run without an IHS or Heatsink in any form

We're going back to the days of no heatsinks and huge leaps forwards

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

26 minutes ago, thewill102 said:

Even the thinnest laptop will have at least one small fan creating airflow somewhere inside the chassis. Seems to be a pretty fair comparison to me.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

7 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Just a shame that 5nm is pretty much the limit of silicon without changing the process significantly or using a compound.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Ooh, while I saw the tweet previously the video on that was too low quality to see any detail. The article with youtube link offers a bit more insight as to what's happening.

While Crysis was running, it was essentially running off the soft thermal throttle, which is no surprise. CPU temps remained over 90C the whole time, GPU part was slightly cooler in the 80's. Total reported power consumption on the CPU was somewhere just over 1W, most of it on a single core, and the GPU bounced around 4-12W. Given the CPU is rated at 15W TDP, it isn't showing its full potential here. It doesn't take that much cooling to deal with 15W.

The main wow factor here was the ability to "see" the functional blocks of the CPU heat up in the thermal imaging, which obviously can only be done without a cooler obscuring it.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

32 minutes ago, porina said:

The main wow factor here was the ability to "see" the functional blocks of the CPU heat up in the thermal imaging, which obviously can only be done without a cooler obscuring it.

Wasn't even going to bother to watch the vid until you mentioned this, will now though.

That's pretty neat. 

On the other hand Crysis remaster is coming! 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

2 hours ago, RejZoR said:

If only AMD could apply same efficiency to their Radeon products. Man, that would be insane.

I mean they already kind of do, though. The 5700 XT and 2070 Super/5700 and 2060 Super use pretty similar amounts of power and produce pretty similar amounts of heat. It's not the days where they had doubled numbers (290X Vs 980)

photo-85015.gif

Time to change my pfp
Apparently computers cannot be on fire anymore.

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

But can It run crysis 2 ?

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

NICE. You know what this means? Thinner laptops! ... Which also means, worse battery life than before.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Nice, the first CPU that can run Crysis no doubt and without any problems.

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

18 hours ago, TetraSky said:

NICE. You know what this means? Thinner laptops! ... Which also means, worse battery life than before.

TBH I can't remember the last time I saw someone actually using a laptop without it being plugged in to a power source and sitting on a desk 🤣

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

5 hours ago, paddy-stone said:

TBH I can't remember the last time I saw someone actually using a laptop without it being plugged in to a power source and sitting on a desk 🤣

Too many bad memories of people nearly having their...lower portion...being fried by Macbooks?

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

6 hours ago, paddy-stone said:

I think that's a symptom of a problem rather than people just not wanting good battery life 

That's an F in the profile pic

On 6/16/2020 at 11:12 AM, Dabombinable said:

Phones have been doing this for ages... its just X86 architecture that was shit and behind.

41 minutes ago, yian88 said:

Phones have been doing this for ages... its just X86 architecture that was shit and behind.

You don't understand how cpu architectures work.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

cries in ryzen 9

PC specs:

Ryzen 9 3900X overclocked to 4.3-4.4 GHz

Corsair H100i platinum

32 GB Trident Z RGB 3200 MHz 14-14-14-34

RTX 2060

MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge wifi

NZXT H510

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

2 TB WD hard drive

Corsair RM 750 Watt

ASUS ROG PG248Q 

Razer Ornata Chroma

Razer Firefly 

Razer Deathadder 2013

Logitech G935 Wireless

41 minutes ago, yian88 said:

You may want to do some reading up on x86 and ARM before posting such statements ;)

1 hour ago, 5x5 said:

You may want to do some reading up on x86 and ARM before posting such statements ;)

I think x 86 is getting overloaded 

and there will be a time where we all might game on ARM or RISC V CPUs

the reason intel ( and AMD ) still has basically a PC and Server monopoly is that people are too lazy to port everything to a better architecture 

but U can understand this laziness 

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler