Netgear Power Supply Question

Boomwebsearch
Go to solution Solved by less_pointy,

I believe OP is specifically concerned with the input ratings.

Most important thing is that the output matches, which OP clearly understands. As for the input ratings: in theory this does not matter, if the output is correct, your device will work.

Differences in efficiency of the AD/DC adapter might make that brand A will consume more input power than a brand B (and this might translate to a different input amperage) - but both can have the same output specs.

Hi LinusTechTips community,

I have a Netgear WNDR3400v1 router that had its power adapter fail recently and am looking for a replacement one,  I know that the plug polarity and output DC voltage + amperage ratings must be the same, although am not sure if the amperage rating for the input must have to be the same (it says 0.5A, could I get one that is 0.3A for example and have it work and/or higher on the input amperage)?

Netgear AC-DC Power Adapter

Input: AC 100/120V 50/60Hz 0.5A

Output: DC 12V 1.5A

Plug polarity: Tip Positive Polarity

Thank you in advance for any help/suggestions,

@Boomwebsearch

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

@Boomwebsearch 

With these type of power supplys the amperage is a measure of how much current it can deliver. If you use a power source with equal voltage and > or = to Amps it should power it fine. You could rig an old ATX PSU to do this.

2 minutes ago, Boomwebsearch said:

Hi LinusTechTips community,

I have a Netgear WNDR3400v1 router that had its power adapter fail recently and am looking for a replacement one,  I know that the plug polarity and output DC voltage + amperage ratings must be the same, although am not sure if the amperage rating for the input must have to be the same (it says 0.5A, could I get one that is 0.3A for example and have it work and/or higher on the input amperage)?

Netgear AC-DC Power Adapter

Input: AC 100/120V 50/60Hz 0.5A

Output: DC 12V 1.5A

Plug polarity: Tip Positive Polarity

Most router power adapter volts & amps are the same, however, it's great that you're asking this question before jamming just any old power adapter into your router. :) As long as the barrel connector is the same physical size, SAME POLARITY, and same volts + amps, it should work fine. Technically you can sometimes get away with an adapter rated for less amps, as the device (router in this case) may not use the full 1.5A 100% of the time, however, if it spikes to 1.5A or runs at that for too long, it may fry the new power adapter since it's not rated to hit 1.5A on a regular basis.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

here's your guide to replacing the included power supply:

- same voltage

- same polarity

- connector (duh..)

- same or higher rated amperage (amps are a 'result', you cannot 'put too many amps' into a device, you can however overload a power supply and kill it.)

- decent quality. make SURE to get something that is decent, a lot of aftermarket power supplies are absolute garbage..

I believe OP is specifically concerned with the input ratings.

Most important thing is that the output matches, which OP clearly understands. As for the input ratings: in theory this does not matter, if the output is correct, your device will work.

Differences in efficiency of the AD/DC adapter might make that brand A will consume more input power than a brand B (and this might translate to a different input amperage) - but both can have the same output specs.