Pokemon go buy a new phone - Niantic halts 32-bit development

williamcll
11 hours ago, porina said:

Do any of these phones still get security updates? 5 years is practically forever in phone terms. 

It depends, factory FW no. "Cooked" FW probably yes.... (My SGS5 still gets  them, LOS.)

5 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

There is no excuse or valid reason for 32Bit handsets to still be in use after this long. 

Then you should be paying the upgrade cost for all the ppl who uses old phones because they cannot afford a new one..... 9_9 And then there are ppl like me who likes when a phone has a user replaceable battery, its just so much cheaper and time efficient than todays idiotic glued in battery BS..... (And here is the kicker, the s5 is water resistant despite the removable backside.)

Edited by jagdtigger

Hmm, Apple introduced the worlds first consumer ARM processor with the A7 in 2013. 

There is no excuse or valid reason for 32Bit handsets to still be in use after this long. 

Maybe they still work?

Hmm, Apple introduced the worlds first consumer ARM processor with the A7 in 2013. 

Sure there is, just because your small mind cannot think of a reason does not mean there isnt a valid reason. A lot of high end phones from there are still plenty good, I replaced my Droid Turbo's battery recently and I'm back to my insane amounts of battery life. Still plays every game you can think of, why should a person upgrade? Because it isn't new enough? That's a pretty piss poor reason, and a pretty piss poor snobby attitude to have too.

Do you even fanboy bro?

1 minute ago, Liltrekkie said:

why should a person upgrade?

Because software is no longer being developed for 32Bit systems, 32Bit systems are more vulnerable to attacks, and yes 32Bit devices are old. Too old to be trusted on a Network. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

17 minutes ago, Curious Pineapple said:

Maybe they still work?

You can turn on a Commodore 64 today and it will still work and do everything it was supposed to when it was designed. Does not change the fact that they are obsolete and only have sentimental value.  

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

2 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Because software is no longer being developed for 32Bit systems, 32Bit systems are more vulnerable to attacks, and yes 32Bit devices are old. Too old to be trusted on a Network. 

If software was no longer being developed then explain how Pokemon Go, and literally tons of other games that receive daily updates and new features, still work? Obviously someone is maintaining that software. Also, 32 bit systems may be more vulnerable, but that doesn't matter if even recent phones aren't getting their security patches anyway. Many carriers are guilty of not pushing security patches as often, or ever, as they should. And let's not forget how iOS security is "fucked". I guess those phones can't be trusted on a network either. Care to amend your statements?

Do you even fanboy bro?

14 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

You can turn on a Commodore 64 today and it will still work and do everything it was supposed to when it was designed. Does not change the fact that they are obsolete and only have sentimental value.  

Because a C64 is really a good comparison. We're talking 6 years here not 3 decades. Maybe in the Apple world you consider 6 years old to be an artifact of historic interest, but not everyone thinks that way.

8 minutes ago, Liltrekkie said:

If software was no longer being developed then explain how Pokemon Go, and literally tons of other games that receive daily updates and new features, still work? Obviously someone is maintaining that software. Also, 32 bit systems may be more vulnerable, but that doesn't matter if even recent phones aren't getting their security patches anyway. Many carriers are guilty of not pushing security patches as often, or ever, as they should. And let's not forget how iOS security is "fucked". I guess those phones can't be trusted on a network either. Care to amend your statements?

Prepare for cannon fire!

18 minutes ago, Liltrekkie said:

f software was no longer being developed then explain how Pokemon Go, and literally tons of other games that receive daily updates and new features, still work?

Are we just going to casually glance over how this topic is about Pokemon Go dropping 32Bit support? If it was so great they would still keep supporting it. There is no reason to support 32Bit because everyone else is on 64Bit and it's easier to have just 1 code base. 

1 minute ago, DrMacintosh said:

Are we just going to casually glance over how this topic is about Pokemon Go dropping 32Bit support? If it was so great they would still keep supporting it. There is no reason to support 32Bit because everyone else is on 64Bit and it's easier to have just 1 code base. 

And yet, it's been supported all this time, until a future update gets rid of it. But sure, let's cherry pick this one game over the millions of other games on the apple store and play store that still work with 32 bit devices, and probably will for some time. I also never said it was great, I said it still exists and is still okay to use. Obviously there still is a reason to still support it, and that's because the companies want to, they must still be making money from devices that old to make it worth while. At the end of the day it's the balance sheets that determine what course is taken. There is an old saying my engineer buddies say, there is the product you want to build, and there is the product accountants will let you build. Please stop with the newer is better tunnel vision, it's not healthy.

Do you even fanboy bro?

Just now, Liltrekkie said:

But sure, let's cherry pick this one game over the millions of other games on the apple store and play store that still work with 32 bit devices,

There are absolutely 0 32Bit apps on the Apple App Store. The Play Store might have a bunch of relics, but there isn't a single bit of 32Bit code that gets downloaded onto any iOS device. 

15 hours ago, williamcll said:

So anyone with a qualcomm 801 or most if not all phones before 2016 is going to have a hard time.

Or they could have bought a better device in the first place, it's such a pity that Android phones don't come with a "warning, throw this phone out in 18 months" expiry date.

31 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

The reason is that Unity dragged it's heels and got special exceptions from Apple and google to keep publishing 32-bit versions until Apple finally said "nope, go 64-bit or explain to your customers how you won't support mobile phones now."

It's also not the only engine that did this. Nearly every gacha-type game in Japan and Korea run on either Unity, GameMaker, Cocos2D or some in-house blend of Cocos2D and Mono. The developer that produces Fate Go and Madoka Magia gacha games uses Cocos2D, and it stopped supporting 32-bit a few months after it was released, and pretty much everyone who wanted to play either of those games had to chuck their Android phones in the trash, or switch to MEMU and play it on a PC.

18 minutes ago, Kisai said:

Or they could have bought a better device in the first place

There are flagship phones in the list so its not a matter of buying "bad" phones.

27 minutes ago, Kisai said:

Madoka Magia gacha game

How did I not know this existed until now? Wait, "This app is incompatible with all of your devices." :( I doubt it is OS related in my case though, probably a region lock. Edit: can't get on iOS either.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

13 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

There are flagship phones in the list so its not a matter of buying "bad" phones.

A friend had to go through their dad's stash of what was at least a half dozen android phones looking for one to play the Madoka game and ultimately had to go with the PC Android emulator instead, because all the devices were 32-bit, and they weren't going to buy a new phone just to play a game.

15 hours ago, TofuHaroto said:

Didn't this game cause so much trouble 

Not really.

A lot of news articles liked to blow up every little thing that happened and where somewhat related to the game because it got a ton of clicks, but it was never really a big issue.

It's very important to be skeptical of the news these days.

Just because you see an article like "Pokemon Go: armed robbers use mobile game to lure players into trap" doesn't mean it is a big problem.

There are around 300,000 armed robberies every year in the US. As soon as one happened and Pokemon Go might have been involved, a ton of news outlets were all over it. Those other 299,999 robberies that happened? Meh, who cares. "Person gets robbed" won't get clicks. "Person gets robbed because of Pokemon Go" on the other hand...

7 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

You just had to shoehorn in that Apple had the first consumer oriented ARM processor architecture, didn't you?

I think there are plenty of valid reasons and excuses for still using 32bit Android devices in the year 2020. It's "just" 7 years if we're looking back on when the first 64bit processor launched. Several 32bit Android devices were sold with 32bit processors long after Apple had announced their A7 chip as well. So more realistically, we're talking about device that may be 5 years or so old.

Dropping support for 5 year old devices doesn't sound unreasonable in any direction if you ask me. It's not like people are going "wow holy crap they are still supporting 5 year old devices!?!?!?!" nor is anyone going "why are they dropping support after just 5 years!!?!?!".

I think you're coming off a bit too strong when you say there is no valid reason or excuse for a 32bit device to still be used.

7 hours ago, ImAlsoRan said:

100% agree. Developing for different versions of ARM is a pain and a half.

In what way is it a pain for Android?

Unless you're doing something with the NDK, isn't it just changing a flag and boom, you're done. Hell, I am not even sure you need to change a flag. Doesn't Android just take care of all that in the background?

5 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Those other 299,999 robberies that happened? Meh, who cares. "Person gets robbed" won't get clicks. "Person gets robbed because of Pokemon Go" on the other hand...

Oh yea no I agree 

I never trust main stream media but I was wondering why because I forgot why people were saying it's dangerous or something

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

3 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

There are absolutely 0 32Bit apps on the Apple App Store. The Play Store might have a bunch of relics, but there isn't a single bit of 32Bit code that gets downloaded onto any iOS device. 

*is wondering how the heck my grandfather’s iPhone 4S was able to download Minecraft and Futuremark if no 32-bit code is allowed on App Store* 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

2 hours ago, LAwLz said:

In what way is it a pain for Android?

Unless you're doing something with the NDK, isn't it just changing a flag and boom, you're done. Hell, I am not even sure you need to change a flag. Doesn't Android just take care of all that in the background?

Considering Pokemon GO is a somewhat complex 3D game (at least, the models are pretty complex in geometry and shaders), there is likely to be time sensitive code in there. I’d be very surprised if the developers weren’t using the NDK. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

46 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

*is wondering how the heck my grandfather’s iPhone 4S was able to download Minecraft and Futuremark if no 32-bit code is allowed on App Store* 

as I have a iphone 4 and a 6s

I really need to get new batteries for both of them

my iphone 4 battery the connector broke

my 6s is draining way to fast ( got it in October) 

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

4 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

That's simply wrong. My parents both have an iPad 4 that they use all the time, it definitely still can download apps.

3 hours ago, Kisai said:

Or they could have bought a better device in the first place, it's such a pity that Android phones don't come with a "warning, throw this phone out in 18 months" expiry date.

Not everyone wants to or even can spend more on a phone. And, what do you mean with that expiry date? Just because something doesn't get (useless) updates, doesn't suddenly mean it's unusable.

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

12 minutes ago, TomvanWijnen said:

Not everyone wants to or even can spend more on a phone. And, what do you mean with that expiry date? Just because something doesn't get (useless) updates, doesn't suddenly mean it's unusable.

In the Apple world a 2 year old phone is too old to bother with, even though Apple gets so much praise for offering software updates for 5 years, on devices that are too old to bother with, but at least they get updates.

Most people use a device for 2 years and get a new one on a contract. Apple only support devices for so long because it allows people who can't or won't spend so much on a new device to still get into the ecosystem. As soon as the updates stop, Apple devices are worthless.

20 hours ago, TofuHaroto said:

People still play this game ?!

People haven’t had their 2016 android phones lose update anyway? I’ve got an earlier phone, but it’s not android.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

People haven’t had their 2016 android phones lose update anyway

My old 2015 (Samsung mind you ) got updates for 3 years 

Weird huh 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

About the dropping of 32-bit support; bloody took them long enough.

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.