HDD OS to SSD step by step help pls.

Nitr0_AC

I have zero knowledge about the more technical stuff within the computer and I have bought a new SSD for my new laptop.

I was wondering if anyone could teach me step by step on how to put the operating system on my hard drive to my new SSD and turn the hard drive into storage and also put the ssd as the first thing in the boot order.

I have now by the way installed the SSD and  my laptop is an Acer Nitro AN515-43

Take a look at this thread:

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

I have done that before with a free program called AOMEI Backupper.

The flow will be draftly as below. Please keep a system backup using your familiar software before any attempt.

- Do a system backup to an external USB disk

- The software will allow you to burn a bootable cd/dvd to boot up.

- Unplug the HDD. This is very important. Don't leave it connected.

- Plug in the SSD

- Boot with the cd/dvd

- BIOS adjustment might be required to correct the boot sequence

- Restore from the system backup to the SSD

- Reboot and verify

- Turn off and plug back the HDD

- BIOS adjustment might be required to correct the boot sequence

- Boot up again and verify if the actual system is running from the SSD.

- Format the HDD to use as storage.

Hope it helps.

17 minutes ago, r2724r16 said:

Take a look at this thread:

What about this guys guide?

I was planning to follow his guide but he didn't or haven't made a video yet on what to do on the hard drive. https://youtu.be/QZ1odFowlGE

25 minutes ago, doommood said:

There are many software cloning tools you can use for the purpose.
Such as Acronis True Image - https://kb.acronis.com/content/61665 and Macrium Reflect https://www.windowscentral.com/how-clone-your-pcs-hard-drive-macrium-reflect

after I clone it how can I turn my hard drive into just a storage device?

Once cloned, boot to system, check that OS loads up from new SSD drive. If everything is fine, connect the hard drive and boot the system once more. Open Disk Manager to format the drive to free it entirely. Otherwise, manually delete unnecessary data from that drive. This way you will have a hard drive D storage device.

14 minutes ago, doommood said:

Once cloned, boot to system, check that OS loads up from new SSD drive. If everything is fine, connect the hard drive and boot the system once more. Open Disk Manager to format the drive to free it entirely. Otherwise, manually delete unnecessary data from that drive. This way you will have a hard drive D storage device.

boot to system?

you mean bios and change the boot order?

also the hard drive and ssd are in the laptop at the same time.

Correct. Here is a step-by-step procedure I follow for such operations.

1. make a bootable media running a cloning software you like. 
  2. shut down PC. Connect a new drive to it.
  3. boot from that media. run cloning job.
  4. shut down PC. disconnect (physically) an old drive. make changes to the BIOS boot order. boot to the system on the new disk. 
  5. check the performance. commonly all should run the same way as were before cloning (or faster since the new drive is an SSD).
  6. connect the old HDD. boot to the OS on the SSD. Clean up the HDD manually deleting or moving files, or format it to make it a secondary physical drive.