Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

LTT mistakes in Hackintoshing

So I decided to address Linus mistakes when it comes to Hackintoshes. First starting out with all the false info in this Techquickie video:

Pretty much nothing in the video is in this video is correct when it comes to creating a bootable USB and the post install process. You should not use any of TonyMac's tools. Lucky, there's already an article explaining what's wrong with Tony and his tools.

Addressing another mistake Linus made in his Hack Pro series, he used Clover. Although he's in the right track by not using Unibeast, instead he used Clover. The issue with Clover is that it's quickly, if not already outdated. He should be using Opencore for his Hack Pro. All the advantages to Opencore are explained in the Opencore Desktop guide.

If you're going to hackintosh, take a look at the Opencore Desktop guide. Don't use any Tonymac tools such as Unibeast. You can also use Clover, but there's no reason to since Opencore is a much better alternative. Maybe Linus and his team needs to do more research on how to hackintosh. 

31 minutes ago, dro3m said:

So I decided to address Linus mistakes when it comes to Hackintoshes. First starting out with all the false info in this Techquickie video:

Pretty much nothing in the video is in this video is correct when it comes to creating a bootable USB and the post install process. You should not use any of TonyMac's tools. Lucky, there's already an article explaining what's wrong with Tony and his tools.

Addressing another mistake Linus made in his Hack Pro series, he used Clover. Although he's in the right track by not using Unibeast, instead he used Clover. The issue with Clover is that it's quickly, if not already outdated. He should be using Opencore for his Hack Pro. All the advantages to Opencore are explained in the Opencore Desktop guide.

If you're going to hackintosh, take a look at the Opencore Desktop guide. Don't use any Tonymac tools such as Unibeast. You can also use Clover, but there's no reason to since Opencore is a much better alternative. Maybe Linus and his team needs to do more research on how to hackintosh. 

You do realise that video is from 2017, right? Back then Tony's tools were the best option and Opencore did not exist.

Also Unibeast is not a bootloader and actually installs Clover.

TBH from the wording of your post it seems like you don't really have a clue yourself.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Windows 10 Pro X64 |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

OUCH!!

4 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

You do realise that video is from 2017, right? Back then Tony's tools were the best option and Opencore did not exist.

Also Unibeast is not a bootloader and actually installs Clover.

TBH from the wording of your post it seems like you don't really have a clue yourself.

You mean information can change over time and become outdated?!?!

I'm shocked I tell you! Shocked and appalled that things can change! How dare LTT not spend time going back updating things every time something changes! :P

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

On 6/14/2020 at 5:06 AM, dro3m said:

1. The video explain what is hackintosh, how it is done and the caveats of doing this. This is by no any means "a tutorial". This is techquickie, an oversimplified explaination video.

2. Linus use Unibeast/clover as an example, not the only solution. I am sure there are other options that can be used instead of Unibeast/clover. If Opencore exist at the time, and if it is popular, then sure, Linus (rather the LTT's writer) would use that as example instead.