Microsoft edge and Chrome download extremely slow

Gauzl

Whenever I try to download something off an internet browser, the download speed gets as low as 20kb/s. Yet I'll go and download a game on steam and it goes up to 2.7mb/s. Battlenet downloads between 1mb/s-2.5mb/s and my xbox downloads even slower than that. And advice would be appreciated. 

What browser are you using? What speeds do you get when you do a speedtest.net test? 

Also, do you understand the difference between mb/s vs MB/s and kb/s vs KB/s. 

4 minutes ago, Nano Adam said:

What browser are you using? What speeds do you get when you do a speedtest.net test? 

Also, do you understand the difference between mb/s vs MB/s and kb/s vs KB/s. 

Title say Microsoft edge and chrome. Speedtest results are 52 ping - 4.36MB/s download - 3.33MB/s upload.

Omg I'm so sorry for not holding the shift key when I typed mb/s, I honestly thought people here would realise what I mean.

6 minutes ago, Gauzl said:

Title say Microsoft edge and chrome. Speedtest results are 52 ping - 4.36MB/s download - 3.33MB/s upload.

Omg I'm so sorry for not holding the shift key when I typed mb/s, I honestly thought people here would realise what I mean.

Its fine! I read the title, but didn't remember that fact when you wrote it. So, you should be getting around 500 KB/s when downloading files. 

To my knowledge, Chrome and Microsoft Edge report download speeds in MB/s while Steam reports in mb/s. So, you your speedtest shows that you should be fine in these two cases:

- Chrome/Edge report 558 KB/s 

- Steam: 4.36 mb/s

MB/s = MegaBytes per Second (normally what you see in your file browser)

mb/s = megabits per Second (what ISP's advertise)

Feel free to ask questions about something you don't understand! 

3 minutes ago, Nano Adam said:

Its fine! I read the title, but didn't remember that fact when you wrote it. So, you should be getting around 500 KB/s when downloading files. 

To my knowledge, Chrome and Microsoft Edge report download speeds in MB/s while Steam reports in mb/s. So, you your speedtest shows that you should be fine in these two cases:

- Chrome/Edge report 558 KB/s 

- Steam: 4.36 mb/s

MB/s = MegaBytes per Second (normally what you see in your file browser)

mb/s = megabits per Second (what ISP's advertise)

Feel free to ask questions about something you don't understand! 

It's like you completely forgot what I said in my first post while you were putting yourself on a high. 

My question is why is my download speed as low as 20KB/s from Microsoft edge and chrome. Bit hard to download a driver when it takes 5 hours.

1 minute ago, Gauzl said:

It's like you completely forgot what I said in my first post while you were putting yourself on a high. 

My question is why is my download speed as low as 20KB/s from Microsoft edge and chrome. Bit hard to download a driver when it takes 5 hours.

My apologies. I taught that said 200 KB/s. Was replying too fast. 

Here is a discussion post on Google Forum you can check out: https://support.google.com/chrome/thread/8367249?hl=en

4 minutes ago, Gauzl said:

20KB/s from Microsoft edge and chrome.

It does also depend on what site you're downloading from and where they're based

Steam is fast and you will almost always hit your download limit when downloading games from them, and chance is they have servers closer to you than what youre trying to download from

you could have the worlds fastest internet but if youre trying to download a 3gb 4k youtube video off of sketchydownloads.com based in north korea you wont see very fast speeds

CPU: i5-4690k @ 4.4 GHz | RAM: 12GB DDR3 1333MHz | GPU: Sapphire Pulse RX 580 4GB 

40 minutes ago, DakotaWebber said:

It does also depend on what site you're downloading from and where they're based

Steam is fast and you will almost always hit your download limit when downloading games from them, and chance is they have servers closer to you than what youre trying to download from

you could have the worlds fastest internet but if youre trying to download a 3gb 4k youtube video off of sketchydownloads.com based in north korea you wont see very fast speeds

I'm just trying to download drivers off ASUS and GeForce, that's where I'm getting the stupid slow download speeds.