Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Question about Steam's install behavior

So I have this issue with steam where when I update a game it puts the files on my hard drive which is also the default drive and then moves them to where the game is actually installed on a SSD, is there a way to just download the updates to the games where the games are installed instead of putting them on one drive to move them to another? Both drives have space I can't see the reasoning behind this behavior.

It might be putting the update in a temp file to ready it for extraction, which would be something Steam itself has to do, not the game.

It will vary from game to game. Certain games update by downloading new versions and some update by patching. The ones that update by patching still need to download the files and it will expand the game's archives to replace a couple files and recompress. The download will be gone once the patch is complete.

Quote or mention me or I won't be notified of your reply!

Main Rig: R7 3700x New!, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB, ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming New!, Corsair RGB 2x16GB 3200MHz New!, 512GB Crucial P5, 120GB Samsung SSD, 1TB Segate SSHD, 2TB Barracuda HDD

AccessoriesAcer R240HY, AOC 2267W, Samsung SyncMaster B2239Razer Cyanosa Chrome, Logitech G502, Behringer UMC202HD, Newwer NW-700, Mackie CR4BT, Audio-Technica ATH-M20x

Other Tech: iPhone XS 64GB, Nintendo 3DS XL (Snapped), Apple Watch Series 2, Airpods, Nintendo Switch, Retro Consoles, Vizio 32" Smart TV

Links: My beautiful sketchy case | My website

Your updates are not downloading in the right place?

Did you set the SSD as the Default folder for Steam games? (Settings > Downloads > Steam Library Folders)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3600 / GPU: Radeon HD7970 GHz 3GB(upgrade pending) / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

The game in question is ark, I set the SSD as the default folder now after how painfully long that update was. It still seems like it would be faster and make more sense to do it all on one drive rather than using two whether patching or downloading a whole new game cause you don't have to move the data around so much.

• 2 weeks later...

steam puts all the downloaded files in steam's own install folder, then extracts and uncompresses the downloaded files into your destination. this install method is easier to track and results in less errors like not being able to find the files it downloaded.