Why do JPOP artist when preforming live use sennheiser mics

sub68
Go to solution Solved by rice guru,
34 minutes ago, sub68 said:

both SM58 and E900 Series are very good and reliable

I doubt it's the jpop artists specifically rather it's what the producers and the stage crew typically use. And knowing how the popstar industry work in Japan and Korea these groups are super manufactured by teams so the contractors and stage workers are probably often the same resulting in the same equipment to be used and to them they found this to bethe good mic for their style of music and production like how is in the west use the sm58 for basically anything.when I used to do stage work they have proven themselves to be the most reliable mics in our collection so I used it the most

9 hours ago, ShearMe said:

I get, happens to me too sometimes. Not trying to laugh AT you.... trying to laugh WITH you. 👍

Thanks

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

23 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

99% sure I’m not.  I had a shure cassette deck

Shure is 100% an American company - always has been. It was formed in 1925. 

In fact, as far as I can tell, they’ve never manufactured anything in Japan. 
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shure

They have some factories in Mexico and China now. And in the US of course. 

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

7 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Shure is 100% an American company - always has been. It was formed in 1925. 

In fact, as far as I can tell, they’ve never manufactured anything in Japan. 
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shure

They have some factories in Mexico and China now. And in the US of course. 

Could have been “sure”.  It’s an old memory.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Wireless Senheisser microphones with Neumann capsules are probably the finest vocal live audio microphones money can buy. If your production company wants to provide microphones on which no one will object or just plain show off, you want to provide this system.

Regarding SM58 and Beta 58, there are microphones which blow those two out of the water, however those two are standard in live audio because they perform good enough, and more importantly, they are virtually indestructible and relatively cheap. If you own rental company and want reliable workhorses which will be used and abused, mentioned Shure duo is your best bet.

5 minutes ago, Niksa said:

Neumann capsules

these mics are sennhiser capsules with some times handycom wireless handles

5 minutes ago, Niksa said:

Regarding SM58 and Beta 58, there are microphones which blow those two out of the water, however those two are standard in live audio because they perform good enough, and more importantly, they are virtually indestructible and relatively cheap. If you own rental company and want reliable workhorses which will be used and abused, mentioned Shure duo is your best bet.

yes I have worked with sm58 they are great my church has a ton of them and I get to work with them a lot.

I was working in another church where they where using e945 those are better IMO.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

6 minutes ago, sub68 said:

these mics are sennhiser capsules with some times handycom wireless handles

It was just general observation. Some high end Sennheiser wireless units are compatible with Neumann capsules. After all, Sennheiser owns Neumann.

1 minute ago, Niksa said:

It was just general observation. Some high end Sennheiser wireless units are compatible with Neumann capsules. After all, Sennheiser owns Neumann.

I noticed that and forgot about this

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1434937-REG/sennheiser_508558_ew_500_g4_kk205_wireless.html

Pc's

Spoiler

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

On 6/13/2020 at 8:32 AM, Niksa said:

M58 and Beta 58, there are microphones which blow those two out of the water,

The sennheisers have really nice build and I feel are much better at sound IMO

Pc's

Spoiler

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

• 5 months later...

I just relize that half of the videos are region restricted

Pc's

Spoiler

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

Marketing. (that's besides that the microphones are probably good) 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

9 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

Marketing.

mics don't really get marketed

Pc's

Spoiler

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

1 minute ago, sub68 said:

mics don't really get marketed

of course they do, I never used a mic other than from cheap headsets and I know what "Sennheiser" is. 

Marketing is all about mind share... 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 minute ago, Mark Kaine said:

Marketing is all about mind share... 

your making a fair point

I know what "Sennheiser" is.

most people don't but that's good

of course they do

they mostly market the consumer products like headphones

there pro stuff is usually word of mouth

oh I see about mind share

Pc's

Spoiler

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

9 minutes ago, sub68 said:

oh I see about mind share

Exactly even if people don't buy "pro mics" they'll see what their fav idol is using thus increasing mind share. 

this is psychologically interesting, it doesn't really matter "what" an ad tells you, it's only important that you see / hear then name (that's why they're repeating it so much in ads) 🤔

16 hours ago, sub68 said:

I just relize that half of the videos are region restricted

working for me, I'm not in Japan or anything.  🤷🏼

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

working for me, I'm not in Japan or anything.

because I changed them

Exactly even if people don't buy "pro mics" they'll see what their fav idol is using thus increasing mind share. 

if your a crazy person that knows about mics than you would know

2 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

this is psychologically interesting, it doesn't really matter "what" an ad tells you, it's only important that you see / hear then name

yeah never thought about this part

Pc's

Spoiler

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

The simple answer is there are two players in the wireless microphone world Shure and Sennheiser. There are other brands AKG, AT and some other budget aimed brands are around but they are simply not as good as Shure and Sennheiser.

Shure is more popular in American market. Sennheiser is bigger in Europe. I dont know in other markets that well. But I wouldn't be surprised Sennheiser being the dominant player in Asia because most dislike Asian countries American products and would pick European brands just because of their opinions on the country rather then the products capability.

Sennheiser wireless microphones have more accessories and other brands making high end capsules. Neumann (Sennheiser high end) DPA and a few others make capsules (the top microphone bit) which are better quality then the standard ones. So for demanding high end clients you can upgrade to them.

Sennheiser 935 is the rival product to the SM58 and the 935 is just a better microphone then the 58. 
Also probably something more important to the act so likely requested in riders. The Sennheiser microphones look so much nicer with there smooth look compared the the Shure design which is the 58 bubble on top of a microphone handle.

Another thing is most rental companies (the business who supply the equipment to shows) will buy the same product as other local companies so when one company has high demand they can sub hire (hire from the other business to meet there business demand) which results in everyone buying the same makes and models. So one system became more popular and then it snowballs to becoming the only system used.

Sennheiser's branding on wireless microphones is just so much better than Shure. Shure line up is a jumble of names and numbers I couldnt tell you what there top product and whats there budget from name alone. Sennheiser's is just big number better and then a G with a number to represent which generation. Currently G4.

Shure released some software which showed how many microphones can fit in a frequncy and what frequncy to set them to. It had both Shure microphone and rival brands. But they were caught red handed making it that non shure microphones could fit less in the frequncy bands and show false data for non shure microphones. Why should I buy from a company I cant trust to be fair.

But I think the simple answer is racism and stereotypes. For many decades early 80s 90s audio products from American were just not as good as European. That has continued over to the modern era even though American products are just as good, European are preferred since American audio is branded as not as good as European. Also Japan is still very racist and still holds a major grudge towards American. Also doesnt help that European products are seen as fancy and high class (best example BMW, Mercedes, Jaguar sell a lot of cars in Asia, Cadillac does not). Probably blame the British for installing European opinions on Japan.

2 minutes ago, Ahoy Hoy said:

Sennheiser's is just big number better and then a G with a number to represent which generation. Currently G4.

yeah sennhisers backward and forward compatibility is great

3 minutes ago, Ahoy Hoy said:

Sennheiser 935 is the rival product to the SM58 and the 935 is just a better microphone then the 58.

depending on the singer it changes

3 minutes ago, Ahoy Hoy said:

For many decades early 80s 90s audio products from American were just not as good as European

sm58 came out in the 60's

5 minutes ago, Ahoy Hoy said:

Also Japan is still very racist and still holds a major grudge towards American

lol that's true sadly

Pc's

Spoiler

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

Just now, sub68 said:

depending on the singer it changes

sm58 came out in the 60's

Most the Sennheiser is picked over looks by the artist. 90% of the riders I've had to provide for where they request wireless microphones request Sennheiser. 

Some minor changes since the 60s but its basically the same. The thing is its not a great microphone its just good, the price to performance is great and built like tank. People just dont care for Shure higher end microphones. So when it comes to high end wireless systems people want high end microphones so they pick Sennheiser 

19 minutes ago, Ahoy Hoy said:

because most dislike Asian countries American products

that totally explains apples dominance in Japan...

FYI Japanese *love* American stuff, that's what the whole "idol" culture is about, they're imitating "pop culture" (including the usually shallow music style...) 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

4 minutes ago, Ahoy Hoy said:

Most the Sennheiser is picked over looks by the artist. 90% of the riders I've had to provide for where they request wireless microphones request Sennheiser. 

huh not in my place

5 minutes ago, Ahoy Hoy said:

So when it comes to high end wireless systems people want high end microphones so they pick Sennheiser 

ok interesting I knew the senny higher end wireless is top dog

Pc's

Spoiler

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

2 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

FYI Japanese *love* American stuff, that's what the whole "idol" culture is about, they're imitating "pop culture" (including the usually shallow music style...)

idol groups are japnesse special that spread to korea

but in the 80's japan got into American rock

Pc's

Spoiler

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

1 hour ago, sub68 said:

idol groups are japnesse special that spread to korea

but in the 80's japan got into American rock

well yes, they're unique in a way but what I meant is this 

Japanese idols serve as a pop culture embodiment of the virtues of working hard towards one's dreams and seeing success. Idols generally begin at young ages as aspiring entertainers. 

and where does "pop culture" originate if not America? 

well and anyways the Japanese I've talked to (which were quite many actually) all said they love American culture and stuff , McDonald's, music... clothing style... of course they do change things to their own culture and habits etc (for example their fashion is generally much more stylish, but still inspired by American and European fashion) 

I think it's a generational thing basically, the younger generations don't dislike America, the elder generations might! (generally speaking) 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

3 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

this is psychologically interesting, it doesn't really matter "what" an ad tells you, it's only important that you see / hear then name (that's why they're repeating it so much in ads) 🤔

working for me, I'm not in Japan or anything.  🤷🏼

I can support the name recognition thing with an old car ad.  The deal was someone did some research that said people pay more attention to stuff when it is confusing, so they made a deliberately confusing ad where the only thing they were actually trying to push was the company name.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

They could be using a 2003 Motorola Bluetooth headset for all it matters, they lip sync 99.9% of their performance anyway. The mic exists so they can say hello and talk in-between songs.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20