Vega 56 8gb question

Is the vega 56 still a good card? 

I saw a person on my country's website trying to sell a card used for mining 

Asus Strix Vega 56 8gb OC sg$280/us$220 with free shipping

Is it worth the money? 

Silent Cerberus - Fractal Design Core500,Ryzen R7 3700x,Scythe Fuma 2,Gigabyte Aorus B550i Pro AX,Crucial Ballistix Elite 3200mhz cl16 16gb,Adata XPG SX8200 nvme 512gb m.2 ssd,Lexar NS100 1tb ssd,Red Dragon RX5700 8gb(bio flashed 5700xt),Corsair SF600 SFX 600w 80+ platinum F-Modular. 

Hades - dO.Ob Look into my eyes and see the dark eternal abyss that is your soul and pay for your hidden sins. 

Cerberus - the hell hound that guards the gates of hell. Once you enter you'll never escape. 

Well the Vega 56 will perform somewhere between a 1070Ti and a 1080 nowadays, while consuming a significant amount more than etiher of those. Also, the Strix model (at least this was the case with the Vega 64, I wouldn't imagine it being any different with the 56) had horrible VRM temps (100C+) - there are definitely better variants out there.

For $220 USD I'd just get a new 1660 Super and call it a day - it consumes around half the amount of power, runs on a newer architecture, will most likely run cooler and/or quieter, and offers most if not all of the 56's performance, depending on the game.

Edit: I just noticed you also mentioned that the card was used for mining. I definitely wouldn't go for it, especially for that price.

Edited by Mateyyy

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

2 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

Well the Vega 56 will perform somewhere between a 1070Ti and a 1080 nowadays

Didn't it perform like a 1070 when it came out ?

Or was it like this the whole time ?

4 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

For $220 USD I'd just get a new 1660 Super and call it a day - it consumes around half the amount of power, runs on a newer architecture, will most likely run cooler and/or quieter, and offers most if not all of the 56's performance, depending on the game.

I would add looking for a 5600xt 

But it could be way above that price point

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

2 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

Didn't it perform like a 1070 when it came out ?

Or was it like this the whole time ?

Pretty sure it did at launch, but as with many AMD cards it took them over a year of driver updates to bring it to its full potential.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqxL27pmYpE - for reference

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Just now, Mateyyy said:

Pretty sure it did at launch, but as with many AMD cards it took them over a year of driver updates to bring it to its full potential.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqxL27pmYpE - for reference

Just like the 560 (4 gigs) I guess 

When it was released it was basically a 1050 with a bigger frame buffer and now it is comparable to a 1050ti 

Gotta give AMD props their tuning is pretty good 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Build Log: 

7 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

Just like the 560 (4 gigs) I guess 

When it was released it was basically a 1050 with a bigger frame buffer and now it is comparable to a 1050ti 

Yeah my old 290 was generally slightly slower than a 780 at launch and a couple of years later it performed better than the 780Ti lol. Heck it performs similarly to a GTX 970 or 1060 3GB nowadays. Too bad it was a space heater though.

7 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

Gotta give AMD props their tuning is pretty good 

That's one way to look at it, the other would be that their launch drivers are shite.

1 minute ago, Mateyyy said:

That's one way to look at it, the other would be that their launch drivers are shite.

Sadly yes but hey if we are looking at a long term usability 

Their gpus gets better and better over the years 

Build Log: 

Is the vega 56 still a good card? 

I saw a person on my country's website trying to sell a card used for mining 

Asus Strix Vega 56 8gb OC sg$280/us$220 with free shipping

Is it worth the money? 

Silent Cerberus - Fractal Design Core500,Ryzen R7 3700x,Scythe Fuma 2,Gigabyte Aorus B550i Pro AX,Crucial Ballistix Elite 3200mhz cl16 16gb,Adata XPG SX8200 nvme 512gb m.2 ssd,Lexar NS100 1tb ssd,Red Dragon RX5700 8gb(bio flashed 5700xt),Corsair SF600 SFX 600w 80+ platinum F-Modular. 

Hades - dO.Ob Look into my eyes and see the dark eternal abyss that is your soul and pay for your hidden sins. 

Cerberus - the hell hound that guards the gates of hell. Once you enter you'll never escape. 

As @Mateyyy said in the other thread

The strix model isn't good 

It doesn't have good vrm cooling and it will get hot and it was used for mining

Getting something like a new 1660 super is alot better 

Build Log: 

Use case might be important here.  This site sort of assumes gaming only, and for that previous comments are accurate.  

re: mining

If it’s a former mining card it may have a wonky bios so there’s switching that which entails a small risk of bricking the card.  Mining can also open up the possibility of the card being badly misused in the past (only a possibility). If the card has the right bios and was taken good care of mining isn’t a limitation.  Vega56 runs hot and uses a lot of power so the possibility it was underclocked rather than overclocked exists (which is good)

example of non-gaming use:
One of the more interesting uses I’ve heard of vega56 being put to is dropping it in an egpu and using it on a Mac min with thunderbolt for graphics work.  It’s actually too powerful to be fully utilized by thunderbolt but the compute capacity still speeds up the graphics stuff.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 hour ago, TofuHaroto said:

As @Mateyyy said in the other thread

The strix model isn't good 

It doesn't have good vrm cooling and it will get hot and it was used for mining

Getting something like a new 1660 super is alot better 

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

Use case might be important here.  This site sort of assumes gaming only, and for that previous comments are accurate.  

re: mining

If it’s a former mining card it may have a wonky bios so there’s switching that which entails a small risk of bricking the card.  Mining can also open up the possibility of the card being badly misused in the past (only a possibility). If the card has the right bios and was taken good care of mining isn’t a limitation.  Vega56 runs hot and uses a lot of power so the possibility it was underclocked rather than overclocked exists (which is good)

example of non-gaming use:
One of the more interesting uses I’ve heard of vega56 being put to is dropping it in an egpu and using it on a Mac min with thunderbolt for graphics work.  It’s actually too powerful to be fully utilized by thunderbolt but the compute capacity still speeds up the graphics stuff.

Thanks for the advice I think I'll leave the card alone since I'm still new to building.