Computer running at under 25% load while gaming but can't hit 60fps

A-Furry-Peanut

I am trying to play COD:MW (2019) at 4k 60fps with the settings maxed out however I seem to be getting 40-50fps on average. I don't mind lowering the settings but when I checked my computer resources (using task manager) my cpu and gpu were running below 25%. I was just curious as to why my system is not using more of the cpu and gpu to hit 60fps?

build:

ryzen 3950x

rtx 2080 super

32 DDR4 RAM

windows 10

Did you do something to lock the game to a specific cpu core? 25% of a 16 core system (32 threads) is 4 cores/8 threads. That's likely the most the game was designed to see. The GPU on the other hand is a better question and you might have to check what it uses to render. If it's DX12 or Vulkan, it can span render cores, but anything else, it likely can not.

10 minutes ago, Kisai said:

Did you do something to lock the game to a specific cpu core? 25% of a 16 core system (32 threads) is 4 cores/8 threads. That's likely the most the game was designed to see. The GPU on the other hand is a better question and you might have to check what it uses to render. If it's DX12 or Vulkan, it can span render cores, but anything else, it likely can not.

Thank you for your response. 

As far as I'm aware, I did not do anything to lock any cpu cores. Also, I'm not sure what you mean by "you might have to check what it uses to render".  I currently have DirectX12 and in the COD settings it has my 2080 super selected for gpu in the settings.

1 minute ago, A-Furry-Peanut said:

Thank you for your response. 

As far as I'm aware, I did not do anything to lock any cpu cores. Also, I'm not sure what you mean by "you might have to check what it uses to render".  I currently have DirectX12 and in the COD settings it has my 2080 super selected for gpu in the settings.

im pretty sure that your gpu is running maxed out, but youre alt-tabbing out of the game to check the usage so it drops because its not rendering the game, your gpu is good yeah but not 4k 60 maxed out good

try lowering heavy settings like anti aliasing

41 minutes ago, A-Furry-Peanut said:

I am trying to play COD:MW (2019) at 4k 60fps with the settings maxed out however I seem to be getting 40-50fps on average. I don't mind lowering the settings but when I checked my computer resources (using task manager) my cpu and gpu were running below 25%. I was just curious as to why my system is not using more of the cpu and gpu to hit 60fps?

build:

ryzen 3950x

rtx 2080 super

32 DDR4 RAM

windows 10

You could lower Shadows and Reflections...a range of things.. OR Try a 80-85% Resolution scale of 4K 3840x2160p settings you currently employ.

There is a slider for this,..in a dropdown advanced menu underneath Resolution listings to do this 80-85% scale under the Resolution listed in the graphical options menu.

It should likely still be quite sharp at near 1800p resolution, and more suitable to achieve near or above 60FPS with some tweaking.
If you are around 50FPS'ish and give the GPU another 20% to work with it will likely scale pretty well for close to 60FPS (depending on scene complexity)
75-80% should work well IMO, including maybe using High over Ultra in some settings in combination with Res-Scaling.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz