Home Network Critique and Suggestions

xeks

Hello all; it's been a while.

I'm just looking for some feedback and suggestions about my current home network setup but I'm not looking to 'upgrade'. I am however planning, not sure when, to run a powerline router to get hard-wire access into the garage for a server setup. Thanks in advanced for your comments and suggestions.

Internet speed: 600+ Mbps download, forget what the upload is...20-50 Mbps I think.

Hardware:

• Modem All-In-One from ISP running in Gateway mode
  • T-Mobile TM-AC1900 Router, reflashed as an Asus AC68U running Merlin Firmware
  • TP-Link Deco M4 Mesh WiFi system (3 access-points)

The set-up:

2-floor home with an up and downstairs. The ISP modem is located in the middle-front-2nd floor of the house and set up as just a gateway so I'm not using their device to provide wireless internet access in my home. Connected directly to the modem/gateway is my AC68U router which also has it's wireless radios disabled. Then connected to that is the first of three Deco M4 pucks which provides the wireless internet access. The other two Deco M4 pucks are located downstairs - one in the front right of the home and one in the back left. 

In theory - and it seems like - I have full uninterrupted wireless internet connectivity in the house which is great. I haven't done anything close to scientific to test the wireless to see if the actual zone coverage is perfect. How's that look? Any more info I should provide? Thanks again. 

Spoiler

Tantō

• Case: NZXT Switch 810
  • Operating System: Windows 10 Professional
  • Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z77
  • Central Processing Unit: Intel Ivy Bridge i7-3770K
  • Random-Access Memory: Corsair Vengeance 4x8 GB DDR3 1866 MHz
  • Graphics Processing Unit: Aorus GeForce 1080 Ti
  • Power Supply Unit: Corsair Professional Series AX750
  • Cooling: NZXT Kraken X52
  • Storage: AData S599 60GB + AData SU650 500GB + WDC Blue 1TB +AData SU800 1TB
  • Keyboard: CoolerMaster Masterkeys Pro S
  • Mouse: Corsair Scimitar Pro RGB + CoolerMaster Master RGB Hard Gaming Mousepad
  • Audio: Logitech 2.5 Speakers + Feenix Aria + Bose In-Ears
  • Monitors: 2x Acer Predator XB271HU
  • Thread Link
Spoiler

Shuko

• Device Model: Samsung S20+
  • Operating System: Android 10
  • Read-Only Memory: One UI  2.1
  • Kernel: Stock

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1264-overclocking-guides/'>My Intel Ivy Bridge Overclocking Guide

@xeks

If it works for you, then your setup is perfectly fine.

Would be great if you ran a speed test.

You can probably also run a wireless survey using WiFi Analyzer to see if any tweaks can be made to your WiFi settings.

@Falcon1986 Thanks for the comment and suggestion; I was too lazy to toggle off my VPN to run an 'accurate' speed test but ran one this morning - ~550 Mbps down and ~17 Mbps up. I've seen my download speeds fluctuate anywhere between the low 5's to high 6's so not bad. 

Spoiler

Tantō

• Case: NZXT Switch 810
  • Operating System: Windows 10 Professional
  • Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z77
  • Central Processing Unit: Intel Ivy Bridge i7-3770K
  • Random-Access Memory: Corsair Vengeance 4x8 GB DDR3 1866 MHz
  • Graphics Processing Unit: Aorus GeForce 1080 Ti
  • Power Supply Unit: Corsair Professional Series AX750
  • Cooling: NZXT Kraken X52
  • Storage: AData S599 60GB + AData SU650 500GB + WDC Blue 1TB +AData SU800 1TB
  • Keyboard: CoolerMaster Masterkeys Pro S
  • Mouse: Corsair Scimitar Pro RGB + CoolerMaster Master RGB Hard Gaming Mousepad
  • Audio: Logitech 2.5 Speakers + Feenix Aria + Bose In-Ears
  • Monitors: 2x Acer Predator XB271HU
  • Thread Link
Spoiler

Shuko

• Device Model: Samsung S20+
  • Operating System: Android 10
  • Read-Only Memory: One UI  2.1
  • Kernel: Stock

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1264-overclocking-guides/'>My Intel Ivy Bridge Overclocking Guide