Max refresh rate for USB-C 3.2 gen 1

Daniel Gomez

Hi there, 

So I've been looking this for a while without finding a definitive answer, does anyone knows the maximum refresh rate for a 1440p monitor over a usb c 3.2 gen 1 connection ( 5gbps). I'm aware that the maximum for 4k would be 30hz that would suggest that the maximum over 2k should be 60hz but im not sure it works that way. Can anyone confirm please ! 

Thanks 

9 hours ago, Glenwing said:

The limit is 17.28 Gbit/s for DisplayPort 1.2 or 25.92 Gbit/s for DisplayPort 1.4

Video over USB-C simply sends DP signals through the USB connector, the 5 Gbit/s bandwidth of the USB protocol isn't related.

Ok, so I'm a bit lost ! the full question is as follows: I have a MSI modern 15 in the specs it says "1x Type-C (USB3.2 Gen1 / DP)" and I haven't been able to find further specifications for that port. So I'm not sure if its display port 1.2 or 1.4 . I want to buy an external monitor. I was thinking a Dell P2720D which is a 2560x1440 usb-c monitor or a 4k 43 inch tv which only has hdmi input. My question is, what would be the maximum refresh rate achievable through that usb-c / DP port for the 4k hdmi tv and for the 2k usb-c monitor. 

Thanks a lot for your answers!   

16 minutes ago, Daniel Gomez said:

Ok, so I'm a bit lost ! the full question is as follows: I have a MSI modern 15 in the specs it says "1x Type-C (USB3.2 Gen1 / DP)" and I haven't been able to find further specifications for that port. So I'm not sure if its display port 1.2 or 1.4 . I want to buy an external monitor. I was thinking a Dell P2720D which is a 2560x1440 usb-c monitor or a 4k 43 inch tv which only has hdmi input. My question is, what would be the maximum refresh rate achievable through that usb-c / DP port for the 4k hdmi tv and for the 2k usb-c monitor. 

Thanks a lot for your answers!   

Both versions can support 4K 60 Hz so it doesn't really matter. But for informational purposes the version is derived from what the laptop GPU supports. NVIDIA 1000 series supports DP 1.4, Intel integrated graphics supports DP 1.2, etc.

1 minute ago, Glenwing said:

Both versions can support 4K 60 Hz so it doesn't really matter. But for informational purposes the version is derived from what the laptop GPU supports. NVIDIA 1000 series supports DP 1.4, Intel integrated graphics supports DP 1.2, etc.

Ohh thanks, So for hdmi output I could use a "pasive cable" (https://www.amazon.com/HDMI-Cable-4K-Adapter-UOEOS-USB-3-1-Type-C-HDMI-Adapter-Compatible-MacBook-Adapter/dp/B0833WMZYF/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=usbc+to+hdmi&qid=1591892364&s=electronics&sr=1-5) ? and that would be it ? 

1 hour ago, Daniel Gomez said:

That adapter only supports 4K at 30 Hz according to the product description.