Help with Push/Pull setup for 360mm AIO

Hey, I have got NZXT Kraken X73 for my new i9-10900K build; I have also ordered additional 3 Noctua NF-F12 iPPC 3000 PWM fans to do Push/Pull with the radiator. I will mount the radiator at the front and use Noctua 3000 RPM fans to push air through the radiator and NZXT 2000 RPM fans to pull air into PC. And I will set up 3 Aer F120 120mm Case fans at the top and 1 Aer F140 140mm Case fan at the back to exhaust air out that will come with NZXT 710 case.

Now my question is: the radiator fans have different RPM 3000 vs 2000; I have gone for Noctua NF-F12 iPPC 3000 PWM because I thought if I set them up on the outside of the radiator to push air inside; it will help NZXT 2000 RPM fans to intake air into the system more efficiently. The default 2000 RPM radiator fans will be connected to & controlled by NZXT AIO controller and the 3000 RPM Noctua fans will be connected to & controlled by the motherboard (I believe the speed of the fan as well according to the system need automatically by bios?). The reason I am going for push/pull combo because i9 10th gen gets hot a lot and I am trying to have setup so that I can avoid thermal throttling on full load. Of course the fans won't be running at 3000 RPM all the time (I believe the speed of the fan as well according to the system need automatically by bios?), but the reason I am asking about it because when higher RPM fans will push into radiator, the pull fans won't get that amount of CFM as the 27mm thick radiator will neutralize the much of the air pressure. So I am trying to setup in a way so that when needed, the higher RPM fans push through enough CFM for pull fan to work with. What do you think? Will I plan work or will it backfire? I can still change the 3 additional fans; can you please suggest which one will be better:

The NZXT X73 Aer P 2000 PWM - 36 dB(A) - 500 RPM (Min) - 73.11 CFM - 7.63 mm

i) Noctua NF-F12 iPPC 3000 PWM - 43.5 dB(A) - 750 RPM (Min) - 110 CFM - 3.94 mm

ii) Noctua NF-F12 iPPC 2000 PWM - 29.7 dB(A) - 450 RPM (Min) - 71.22 CFM - 3.94 mm

iii) NF-F12 PWM 1500 PWM - 18.6 dB(A) - 300 RPM (Min) - 54 CFM - 2.61 mm

Please help me! Thank you!!

I'd recommend running them separately.  The stock fans will have to run a little faster to keep up with the Noctua fans.  Also, the difference in speed between the sets of fans is going to be a lot if you run them off of the same header.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

2 minutes ago, nick name said:

I'd recommend running them separately.  The stock fans will have to run a little faster to keep up with the Noctua fans.  Also, the difference in speed between the sets of fans is going to be a lot if you run them off of the same header.  

Hey @nick name, thanks will connect them up separately to my motherboard. Hey, can you help me decide if I am thinking it right or wrong. I have gone for Noctua NF-F12 iPPC 3000 PWM because I thought if I set them up on the top of the radiator to pull the air, it will work harder and it will be less pressure on NZXT Aer P fans and will be push more hot air out of the case. I can still change the 3 additional fans to Noctua NF-F12 iPPC 2000 PWM. What do you think? Will I plan work or will it backfire?

Just now, Anannyo said:

Hey @nick name, thanks will connect them up separately to my motherboard. Hey, can you help me decide if I am thinking it right or wrong. I have gone for Noctua NF-F12 iPPC 3000 PWM because I thought if I set them up on the top of the radiator to pull the air, it will work harder and it will be less pressure on NZXT Aer P fans and will be push more hot air out of the case. I can still change the 3 additional fans to Noctua NF-F12 iPPC 2000 PWM. What do you think? Will I plan work or will it backfire?

You'll have to play around with fan direction to see what works best for you.  I'm a fan always pulling in air from the outside through the radiator, but that might make your GPU hotter than you want.  What fans will you have at the front of the case?

Depending on your motherboard those 3000 RPM fans could get super annoying.  My ASUS board sets the fans to 100% at a CPU temp of 75*C and that's very annoying with 3000 RPM fans.  What I did is buy a Noctua fan controller for them so the motherboard doesn't control my Noctua fans.  The board is set to PWM disabled which would run the fans at 3000 RPM but then the separate Noctua controller is set to around half which runs the fans at 1500 RPM.  

And when I mixed my 3 Noctuas with 3 Corsair SP120L (2700 RPM) on my radiator I had to run the Corsair fans at a slightly higher RPM to match the air flow of the Noctuas.  You'll be able to tune them by ear.  If they aren't in sync you'll hear buffeting air.  Adjust speed until that buffeting goes away.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

15 minutes ago, nick name said:

You'll have to play around with fan direction to see what works best for you.  I'm a fan always pulling in air from the outside through the radiator, but that might make your GPU hotter than you want.  What fans will you have at the front of the case?

Hey @nick name, I am gonna use  3 Aer F120 120mm Case fans and 1 Aer F140 140mm Case fan at the back that will come with NZXT 710 case. I like this case because it has design for minimum dust and very good air flow. Ok, I will put the radiator at the front and use Noctua 3000 RPM to push air in and NZXT 2000 RPM to pull air in. And will set up 3 Aer F120 120mm Case fans at the top and 1 Aer F140 140mm Case fan at the back to push air out.

16 minutes ago, nick name said:

Depending on your motherboard those 3000 RPM fans could get super annoying.  My ASUS board sets the fans to 100% at a CPU temp of 75*C and that's very annoying with 3000 RPM fans.  What I did is buy a Noctua fan controller for them so the motherboard doesn't control my Noctua fans.  The board is set to PWM disabled which would run the fans at 3000 RPM but then the separate Noctua controller is set to around half which runs the fans at 1500 RPM.  

And when I mixed my 3 Noctuas with 3 Corsair SP120L (2700 RPM) on my radiator I had to run the Corsair fans at a slightly higher RPM to match the air flow of the Noctuas.  You'll be able to tune them by ear.  If they aren't in sync you'll hear buffeting air.  Adjust speed until that buffeting goes away.  

I am gonna use Asus ProArt Z490 Creator motherboard. Will I be able to control fans RPM speed from BIOS? Because I am gonna use MacOS, Hackintosh, for this build and won't be able to use any CAM software to control the fan from OS. I hope I am doing the right thing by buying Noctua 3000 RPM to push air inside as I want to push air faster so that the CPU and inside of the PC does not get too hot. i9 10th gen already has reputation to get too hot; so I am trying to plan as best as I could to avoid the thermal throttling on heavy load.

14 hours ago, Anannyo said:

Hey, I have got NZXT Kraken X73 for my new i9-10900K build; I have also bought additional 3 Noctua NF-F12 iPPC 3000 PWM fans to do Push/Pull with the radiator. My question is, can I connect the 3 Noctua NF-F12 iPPC 3000 PWM fans using the splitter to the NZXT AIO 3 radiators fans so that 6 of them can be controlled by NZXT Kraken X73 AIO? I am worried about the too much Watt putting on one channel? How can I connect 6 of them together so that all of the 6 are in sync although they have different RPM 3000 vs 2000; I am gonna use 3000 RPM on the top of Radiator to pull the air out and 2000 RPM ones at the bottom of the push the air through radiator from NZXT H710 case. Thank you!! 

Just curious, logicaly, you don't run fans at 3k RPM unless you want a jet enginge sound from your system... you will need noisecanceling headset. and everyone around will wonder how you can handle it. 

but back to the setup. if you have have 2k rpm fans pushing air into the radiator, it gets enough air. BUT, they will also work as restriction, and the pulling fans on the other side at 3k RPM will have less air since the bottom fan only sends a constant preasure the pulling fans will need more and they generate an underpreasure in the radiator and the pulling fans will overspeed due to lack of air, making even more sound. 

usually when someone buys a watercooling setup it to have a quiet system, or to run the system overclocked over longer period of time, or both. 

so back to the basic again. you want to run an AIO to cool your brand spanking new CPU.. but why? 

If you realy want a push pull on an AIO use the same fans on both side and Y cables or a controller to control them. don't put it in your CPU fan socket, unless you want the fans to ramp up all the time. altho to get it quiet and controlled, you'll need to know the water temperature to run the fans up when the water gets warmer. set your fan control software to increas fans after water temp, water temps change slower than cpu temp. 

7 hours ago, Robchil said:

Just curious, logicaly, you don't run fans at 3k RPM unless you want a jet enginge sound from your system... you will need noisecanceling headset. and everyone around will wonder how you can handle it. 

but back to the setup. if you have have 2k rpm fans pushing air into the radiator, it gets enough air. BUT, they will also work as restriction, and the pulling fans on the other side at 3k RPM will have less air since the bottom fan only sends a constant preasure the pulling fans will need more and they generate an underpreasure in the radiator and the pulling fans will overspeed due to lack of air, making even more sound. 

usually when someone buys a watercooling setup it to have a quiet system, or to run the system overclocked over longer period of time, or both. 

so back to the basic again. you want to run an AIO to cool your brand spanking new CPU.. but why? 

If you realy want a push pull on an AIO use the same fans on both side and Y cables or a controller to control them. don't put it in your CPU fan socket, unless you want the fans to ramp up all the time. altho to get it quiet and controlled, you'll need to know the water temperature to run the fans up when the water gets warmer. set your fan control software to increas fans after water temp, water temps change slower than cpu temp. 

Hey @Robchil, basically I am gonna use powerful fan to push through the radiator and the default radiator fan as pull fan to get air into the pc. I will mount the radiator at the front and will use it to intake air. The default radiator fan will be controlled by NZXT AIO and the Noctua fans will be controlled by motherboard (I believe the speed of the fan as well). The reason I am going for push/pull combo because i9 10th gen gets hot a lot and I am trying to have setup so that I can avoid thermal throttling on load. Of course the fans won't be running at 3000 RPM all the time, but the reason I am asking about it because when higher RPM fans will push into radiator, the pull fans won't get that amount of CFM as radiator will neutralize the much of the air pressure. So I am trying to setup in a way so that when needed, the higher RPM fans push through enough CFM for pull fan to work with. I have been asked to connect the noctua fans separately to motherboard by both manufacturer and others; and connect the NZXT fans to NZXT AIO controller. Of course I want suggestions and I have the following options to choose from:

ii) Noctua NF-F12 iPPC 2000 PWM - 29.7 dB(A) - 450 RPM (Min) - 71.22 CFM - 3.94 mm

On 6/10/2020 at 3:45 PM, Anannyo said:

Hey @Robchil, basically I am gonna use powerful fan to push through the radiator and the default radiator fan as pull fan to get air into the pc. I will mount the radiator at the front and will use it to intake air. The default radiator fan will be controlled by NZXT AIO and the Noctua fans will be controlled by motherboard (I believe the speed of the fan as well). The reason I am going for push/pull combo because i9 10th gen gets hot a lot and I am trying to have setup so that I can avoid thermal throttling on load. Of course the fans won't be running at 3000 RPM all the time, but the reason I am asking about it because when higher RPM fans will push into radiator, the pull fans won't get that amount of CFM as radiator will neutralize the much of the air pressure. So I am trying to setup in a way so that when needed, the higher RPM fans push through enough CFM for pull fan to work with. I have been asked to connect the noctua fans separately to motherboard by both manufacturer and others; and connect the NZXT fans to NZXT AIO controller. Of course I want suggestions and I have the following options to choose from:

oh well.. is the Kraken have denser fins than regular radiators?.. 

that sounds more like the regular rpm :D.. but still i wouldn't create underpreasure inside the radiator, rather overpreasure but that's just me. 

i guess you have a chance to test out what is most effective now. 

Altho, keep each set of fans on one connector pr set of fans with Y cables, and to avoid the fan/pump spinning up, don't use the CPU fan port. it's most likly set to go of after the cpu heat, you will need to measure the water temps, to tune the fans properly after the water temp, fans and pump should increase if it don't manage to disapate the heat in the watertemp, there is more or less no effect than making noise to put it on the CPU fan port.