You wouldn't download a Manga would you? - Japan tightens manga piracy laws

williamcll
16 hours ago, divito said:

Now, they got in trouble because they sold import DVDs that included bootlegged versions co-mingled with legit versions, among a few other things. NA rights holders also didn't enjoy the circumvention of people getting imports on their turf vs. their local versions. While they operated, I used them for plenty of merchandise and import DVDs that I could not find anywhere else, except maybe through a random eBay listing.

They sound very similar to what importcds.com is on Amazon, at least based on a few complaints, and one "sketchy" looking unit I bought... (to be fair it was a low production run of a niche show, so could be legit) 

Also you brought up something I vaguely remember several years ago, where it was significantly cheaper to buy Disney movies from Amazon UK than buying them locally, plus they where region free. Still technically possible, but can't really go based on current prices thanks to the pandemic.  A 10 Bluray/dvd combo test of Studio Ghibli movies UK costs almost $100 more mostly thanks to the £72.89 shipping costs mostly, which is highway robbery, because still to this day I am able to order what I ordered 2 years ago and only pay £5 shipping, can't tell me the extra weight of the blurays maybe a little bigger packaging makes said cost go up that much, delivery time can (won't) be 5 days sooner.

However thankfully times have changed, and typically local businesses in the "niche" market of anime can't really scam people into debt thanks to places like Amazon, less conventions, damn the price gouging there...

Edi: looking at the wayback link you gave that site screams fake all over it. The link states dubbed, but the diolauge states Japanese only with english/chinese subs 😂, that's Pacific Mall levels of piracy right there, tho some of their fakes where really nice looking calling themselves Korean releases lol.

16 hours ago, divito said:

and primarily because it took forever for a legit version to ever reach consumers

It still does, unless it is massively popular... Still waiting for Macross Frontier... Thank you for that...