Laptop advertised as 2400mhz but shows 2133mhz

Go to solution Solved by schwellmo92,
5 minutes ago, arb said:

Didn't think of searching about the CPU's support. Then that answers it. ASUS should fix their specs.

Technically the RAM is 2400MHz RAM as you showed in the CPU-Z screenshot, it's just your exact specification has the lower end CPU which only supports 2133MHz RAM so the RAM is being ran slower for the CPU. If you had one of the higher end CPU's available in that laptop it would have ran the RAM at 2400MHz. I agree it is a little confusing and misleading but it would be more confusing to the general public for ASUS to try distinguish all the different combinations of specifications.

Hi, so got a new laptop ASUS X407uf late last year(around October) and is currently working well with 2x4gb(Crucial) ram I bought with same ram frequency as the stock 4gb(Samsung) ram but I noticed the speed showing on task manager is 2133mhz instead of 2400mhz it's advertised.

I tried looking in BIOS for an xmp option or somewhere I can manually put the speed(I'm new to ASUS' UEFI and used to generic BIOS) but there's none.

Anyone have an idea how I can fix it? Thanks!

1.PNG

2.PNG

tm1.PNG

tm2.PNG

Dont use task manager to determine these things, it doesnt know its head from a hole in the ground.

Check the memory tab on CPU-Z.

Why does one of your images show 4 and the other 8 GB of RAM? And CPU-Z also shows two different modules in the same slot (Crucial/Samsung) with different CAS latencies?

~edit: Ok, I missed the part where you said you switched modules. Still a bit confusing. So the current layout it 2x4 GB of Crucial?

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

2 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

Dont use task manager to determine these things, it doesnt know its head from a hole in the ground.

Check the memory tab on CPU-Z.

Got it. Here's how it looks like on the memory tab. 

image.png

4 minutes ago, arb said:

Got it. Here's how it looks like on the memory tab.

So its 2133 with just the Crucial memory or just the Samsung memory?

Generally you dont want more than two modules because there are timing/speed penalties by default.  If you cant OC at all you get stuck at intels default max speed for having two modules on one channel.

A quick search says it should be in the BIOS under "AI Tweaker", called "DOCP" (instead of XMP).

Just now, KarathKasun said:

So its 2133 with just the Crucial memory or just the Samsung memory?

It's 2133 using both brands. I tried the 4gb Samsung then switched to 2x4gb Crucial.

8 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

Why does one of your images show 4 and the other 8 GB of RAM? And CPU-Z also shows two different modules in the same slot (Crucial/Samsung) with different CAS latencies?

~edit: Ok, I missed the part where you said you switched modules. Still a bit confusing. So the current layout it 2x4 GB of Crucial?

Yup, currently on  2x4 GB Crucial. I'm not sure is task manager is just showing the wrong one but is working right or something else.

1 minute ago, Eigenvektor said:

A quick search says it should be in the BIOS under "AI Tweaker", called "DOCP" (instead of XMP).

I tried searching docp too. Either just aren't showing as options nor the "AI tweaker" thing. I'm thinking the motherboard doesn't really have it lol.

Here's some pics on how my BIOS looks like.

BIOS1.jpg

BIOS2.jpg

Most laptops you can't change the RAM frequency, it'll just try run the RAM at whatever frequency and timings it does out of the box. Especially since your CPU doesn't officially support 2400, it only lists 2133 as supports on Intel ARK.

7 minutes ago, arb said:

I tried searching docp too. Either just aren't showing as options nor the "AI tweaker" thing. I'm thinking the motherboard doesn't really have it lol.

Here's some pics on how my BIOS looks like.

What CPU is in the laptop?  Memory speed support is down to the CPU model in most cases.

2 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

What CPU is in the laptop?  Memory speed support is down to the CPU model in most cases.

BIOS screen shows i3-7020U

What CPU is in the laptop.  Memory speed support is down to the CPU model in most cases.

It's Intel core i3-7020u 2.30mhz. Just confused since ASUS had me go to BIOS to check it's frequency when there wasn't an option or display lol.

Just now, arb said:

It's Intel core i3-7020u 2.30mhz. Just confused since ASUS had me go to BIOS to check it's frequency when there wasn't an option or display lol.

That CPU only supports 2133 MAX.

6 minutes ago, schwellmo92 said:

Most laptops you can't change the RAM frequency, it'll just try run the RAM at whatever frequency and timings it does out of the box. Especially since your CPU doesn't officially support 2400, it only lists 2133 as supports on Intel ARK.

Wow. That wasn't displayed at it's specifications on ASUS' website. 

That CPU only supports 2133 MAX.

Didn't think of searching about the CPU's support. Then that answers it. ASUS should fix their specs.

Just now, arb said:

That model does come with CPU options that support 2400 AFAIK.

1 minute ago, KarathKasun said:

That model does come with CPU options that support 2400 AFAIK.

Any idea how or if I can change those CPU options? 

5 minutes ago, arb said:

Technically the RAM is 2400MHz RAM as you showed in the CPU-Z screenshot, it's just your exact specification has the lower end CPU which only supports 2133MHz RAM so the RAM is being ran slower for the CPU. If you had one of the higher end CPU's available in that laptop it would have ran the RAM at 2400MHz. I agree it is a little confusing and misleading but it would be more confusing to the general public for ASUS to try distinguish all the different combinations of specifications.

Just now, arb said:

Any idea how or if I can change those CPU options? 

You can't swap the CPU. You're stuck with 2133MHz unless you purchase a new laptop.