Anime for not weebs

I'm the same way. Western TV shows are completely aimless and go on way too long. Outside of Psych, Malcolm in the Middle, Monk, and How I met your Mother I haven't really watched entire series of Western TV.

A lot of anime is just tropes that are entertaining at first, but after about 5 series it's just completely based around trope predictions. At this point it's more just something to watch before I fall asleep, so as long a it's mildly entertaining I'll watch it and immediately forget about it. Thus, there's only a few I would recommend. Apparently 11 out of the vast amount I've seen.

• 91 Days - A mob/mafia story. It's a tad cliche in some places, but more of for the mafia style than anime tropes. The ending was also really good and left it open for interpretation.
  • Assassination Classroom - Hard to describe, a super mutant is forced to become a teacher while he threatens to destroy the world. The class needs to kill him before then. If anything it subverts a lot of expectations and tropes.
  • Dororo - Set in feudal Japan, a lord makes a deal with demons for his land to prosper. The demons steal almost every organ from his newborn son who years later becomes a demon hunter. Watch the new version, not the 1970's one.
  • Durarara - Some people don't like it because it has a slow start, but it's a very intricate story with a lot of intersecting threads. Everyone has a story, a secret, and knows someone else. As it goes on these all unfold and each episode is a different characters viewpoint. It manages to constantly remember who knows who, and who knows what about who.
  • Ancient Magus' Bride - Beautiful animation with a deep world and what I'm told is a very emotional story, but I'm a heartless cynic. Still enjoyable. It's kind of like Miyazaki films where you're dropped into a new world with intricate rules you don't really understand.
  • Kino's Journey - A highly philosophical show where each episode takes place in a new "country" with laws, rules, and a way of life as the character navigates through with her talking motorcycle. Of which I'm 90% sure the talking motorcycle is a plot device to get the character to talk with a companion and express thoughts without actually having a second companion or monologuing to herself. There's an old version and a new one, both are worth watching. There's a few episodes that are the same, but it's mostly different.
  • Food Wars - Sheer absurdity with a light dash of intense cooking, mostly recommended if you like cooking at all.
  • Bungo Stray Dogs - literal representations of literary authors form a detective agency and mafia group. It's bizarre, it's rad, it's a good time.
  • Goblin Slayer - A realistic fantasy world where the biggest problem is goblins, so DOOM slayer destroys them. Complete with metal music. Violent, gory, unflinchingly brutal yet still has moments of humor and charm.
  • Erased - A man has anime time powers that let him prevent bad things from happening, like a kid crossing the road getting hit by a truck. One day he transports back to elementary to find the identity of a man that kidnapped a young girl. Apparently the ending was a bit rushed since it wasn't enough to necessitate a new season, so had to be wrapped up in 1 episode. I still enjoyed it. There's a manga.
  • (I just like these 2) Barakamon and Handa-Kun. These have the same main character, a calligrapher that in Barakamon (The original series) is disgraced after attacking a critic of his work. He's sent to a small island to work his life out and runs into the locals he eventually becomes friends with... It's better than it sounds. Handa-Kun shows the same character in a high school comedy. He thinks everyone hates him as they lavish him with praise. It's a comedy, with a dope ass opening song. The first half of the first episode is fucking trash and I almost quit. Watch the first 2 episodes.

There's probably a few more I'm forgetting, but if I forgot they probably weren't that great anyways.

#Muricaparrotgang

14 hours ago, Kawaii Koneko said:

snip

He asked for stuff that isn't Weeby.

16 hours ago, vong said:

Demon Slayer is something recent that you may enjoy.

I disagree. It starts okay, but after the pig faced guy and the orange hair guy joined it was exceptionally irritating.

12 hours ago, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

snip

Wolf Children and the Wind rises are really good. Wish I had them. Otherwise my favorite childhood anime has to be Loony Toons and Scooby Doo. Another good movie is The Beast and his Boy.

#Muricaparrotgang

Saw durarara mentioned and just to say it's worth watching. I really enjoyed it and can't wait to continue. 

We watch the animes on watchcartoononline ... there's a lot of old stuff along with newer stuff.  Image and sound quality are often medium to low but we can do with it.  We started with the letter A and watched them in order and now we're at the letter W after some 9 or 10 years of watching.  We will surely have to restart from the beginning cause there's a lot of new stuff that has been released since we started. 

I9 10850K

EVGA RTX 3080 TI FTW3 ULTRA

32 Gb Crucial Balistix ddr4 3600mHz 16-18-18-38

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

Fractal Design Ion+ 860W platinum

Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 360mm

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

TeamGroup L5 3D Lite 1 Tb sata SSD

1 hour ago, Dr0y said:

We watch the animes on watchcartoononline ... there's a lot of old stuff along with newer stuff.  Image and sound quality are often medium to low but we can do with it.  We started with the letter A and watched them in order and now we're at the letter W after some 9 or 10 years of watching.  We will surely have to restart from the beginning cause there's a lot of new stuff that has been released since we started. 

Don't mention that, you'll get bad boy points. Just like I just did. I hate this forum.

#Muricaparrotgang

5 hours ago, Bitter said:

If you've not seen and aren't familiar with those tropes then they're not really jokes that you'll get so I don't categorize One Punch Man as a good starter anime.

I look at it this way: if you're knowledgeable enough to know what weebs are, you'll probably enjoy One Punch Man.  😛

First mobile suit Gundam is mobile suit Gundam you can watch it in order of release or by timeline, timeline might be best solution.

https://gundam.fandom.com/wiki/Universal_Century

Edit: Actually origin is a prequel made recently so if in chronological order then Origin is go to. :)

Lake-V-X6-10600 (Gaming PC)

R23 score MC: 9190pts | R23 score SC: 1302pts

R20 score MC: 3529cb | R20 score SC: 506cb

Spoiler

Case: Cooler Master HAF XB Evo Black / Case Fan(s) Front: Noctua NF-A14 ULN 140mm Premium Fans / Case Fan(s) Rear: Corsair Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition (red) / Case Fan(s) Side: Noctua NF-A6x25 FLX 60mm Premium Fan / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo / CPU: Intel Core i5-10600, 6-cores, 12-threads, 4.4/4.8GHz, 13,5MB cache (Intel 14nm++ FinFET) / Display: ASUS 24" LED VN247H (67Hz OC) 1920x1080p / GPU: Gigabyte Radeon RX Vega 56 Gaming OC @1501MHz (Samsung 14nm FinFET) / Keyboard: Logitech Desktop K120 (Nordic) / Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B460 PLUS, Socket-LGA1200 / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 850W / RAM A1, A2, B1 & B2: DDR4-2666MHz CL13-15-15-15-35-1T "Samsung 8Gbit C-Die" (4x8GB) / Operating System: Windows 10 Home / Sound: Zombee Z300 / Storage 1 & 2: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD / Storage 3: Seagate® Barracuda 2TB HDD / Storage 4: Seagate® Desktop 2TB SSHD / Storage 5: Crucial P1 1000GB M.2 SSD/ Storage 6: Western Digital WD7500BPKX 2.5" HDD / Wi-fi: TP-Link TL-WN851N 11n Wireless Adapter (Qualcomm Atheros)

Zen-II-X6-3600+ (Gaming PC)

R23 score MC: 9893pts | R23 score SC: 1248pts @4.2GHz

R23 score MC: 10151pts | R23 score SC: 1287pts @4.3GHz

R20 score MC: 3688cb | R20 score SC: 489cb

Spoiler

Case: Medion Micro-ATX Case / Case Fan Front: SUNON MagLev PF70251VX-Q000-S99 70mm / Case Fan Rear: Fanner Tech(Shen Zhen)Co.,LTD. 80mm (Purple) / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: AMD Near-silent 125w Thermal Solution / CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600, 6-cores, 12-threads, 4.2/4.2GHz, 35MB cache (T.S.M.C. 7nm FinFET) / Display: HP 24" L2445w (64Hz OC) 1920x1200 / GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GD5 OC "Afterburner" @1450MHz (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / GPU: ASUS Radeon RX 6600 XT DUAL OC RDNA2 32CUs @2607MHz (T.S.M.C. 7nm FinFET) / Keyboard: HP KB-0316 PS/2 (Nordic) / Motherboard: ASRock B450M Pro4, Socket-AM4 / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 550W / RAM A2 & B2: DDR4-3600MHz CL16-18-8-19-37-1T "SK Hynix 8Gbit CJR" (2x16GB) / Operating System: Windows 10 Home / Sound 1: Zombee Z500 / Sound 2: Logitech Stereo Speakers S-150 / Storage 1 & 2: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD / Storage 3: Western Digital My Passport 2.5" 2TB HDD / Storage 4: Western Digital Elements Desktop 2TB HDD / Storage 5: Kingston A2000 1TB M.2 NVME SSD / Wi-fi & Bluetooth: ASUS PCE-AC55BT Wireless Adapter (Intel)

Vishera-X8-9370 | R20 score MC: 1476cb

Spoiler

Case: Cooler Master HAF XB Evo Black / Case Fan(s) Front: Noctua NF-A14 ULN 140mm Premium Fans / Case Fan(s) Rear: Corsair Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition (red) / Case Fan(s) Side: Noctua NF-A6x25 FLX 60mm Premium Fan / Case Fan VRM: SUNON MagLev KDE1209PTV3 92mm / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo / CPU: AMD FX-8370 (Base: @4.4GHz | Turbo: @4.7GHz) Black Edition Eight-Core (Global Foundries 32nm) / Display: ASUS 24" LED VN247H (67Hz OC) 1920x1080p / GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GD5 OC "Afterburner" @1450MHz (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / GPU: Gigabyte Radeon RX Vega 56 Gaming OC @1501MHz (Samsung 14nm FinFET) / Keyboard: Logitech Desktop K120 (Nordic) / Motherboard: MSI 970 GAMING, Socket-AM3+ / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 850W PSU / RAM 1, 2, 3 & 4: Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866MHz CL8-10-10-28-37-2T (4x4GB) 16.38GB / Operating System 1: Windows 10 Home / Sound: Zombee Z300 / Storage 1: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD (x2) / Storage 2: Seagate® Barracuda 2TB HDD / Storage 3: Seagate® Desktop 2TB SSHD / Wi-fi: TP-Link TL-WN951N 11n Wireless Adapter

Godavari-X4-880K | R20 score MC: 810cb

Spoiler

Case: Medion Micro-ATX Case / Case Fan Front: SUNON MagLev PF70251VX-Q000-S99 70mm / Case Fan Rear: Fanner Tech(Shen Zhen)Co.,LTD. 80mm (Purple) / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: AMD Near-silent 95w Thermal Solution / Cooler: AMD Near-silent 125w Thermal Solution / CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860K Black Edition Elite Quad-Core (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / CPU: AMD Athlon X4 880K Black Edition Elite Quad-Core (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / Display: HP 19" Flat Panel L1940 (75Hz) 1280x1024 / GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 SuperSC 2GB (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GD5 OC "Afterburner" @1450MHz (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / Keyboard: HP KB-0316 PS/2 (Nordic) / Motherboard: MSI A78M-E45 V2, Socket-FM2+ / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 550W PSU / RAM 1, 2, 3 & 4: SK hynix DDR3-1866MHz CL9-10-11-27-40 (4x4GB) 16.38GB / Operating System 1: Ubuntu Gnome 16.04 LTS (Xenial Xerus) / Operating System 2: Windows 10 Home / Sound 1: Zombee Z500 / Sound 2: Logitech Stereo Speakers S-150 / Storage 1: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD (x2) / Storage 2: Western Digital My Passport 2.5" 2TB HDD / Storage 3: Western Digital Elements Desktop 2TB HDD / Wi-fi: TP-Link TL-WN851N 11n Wireless Adapter

Acer Aspire 7738G custom (changed CPU, GPU & Storage)
Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo P8600, 2-cores, 2-threads, 2.4GHz, 3MB cache (Intel 45nm) / GPU: ATi Radeon HD 4570 515MB DDR2 (T.S.M.C. 55nm) / RAM: DDR2-1066MHz CL7-7-7-20-1T (2x2GB) / Operating System: Windows 10 Home / Storage: Crucial BX500 480GB 3D NAND SATA 2.5" SSD

Complete portable device SoC history:

Spoiler
Apple A4 - Apple iPod touch (4th generation)
Apple A5 - Apple iPod touch (5th generation)
Apple A9 - Apple iPhone 6s Plus
HiSilicon Kirin 810 (T.S.M.C. 7nm) - Huawei P40 Lite / Huawei nova 7i
Mediatek MT2601 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - TicWatch E
Mediatek MT6580 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - TECNO Spark 2 (1GB RAM)
Mediatek MT6592M (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone my32 (orange)
Mediatek MT6592M (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone my32 (yellow)
Mediatek MT6735 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - HMD Nokia 3 Dual SIM
Mediatek MT6737 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - Cherry Mobile Flare S6
Mediatek MT6739 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone myX8 (blue)
Mediatek MT6739 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone myX8 (gold)
Mediatek MT6750 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - honor 6C Pro / honor V9 Play
Mediatek MT6765 (T.S.M.C 12nm) - TECNO Pouvoir 3 Plus
Mediatek MT6797D (T.S.M.C 20nm) - my|phone Brown Tab 1
Qualcomm MSM8926 (T.S.M.C. 28nm) - Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE
Qualcomm MSM8974AA (T.S.M.C. 28nm) - Blackberry Passport
Qualcomm SDM710 (Samsung 10nm) - Oppo Realme 3 Pro

8 minutes ago, TheBritishVillain said:

Dunno but when I was watching Death Note I remember there being a moment when I was like eh and quit watching it. So in my opinion Code geass is superior but still love the recommendations of anime like it.

Quote me for a reply, React if I was helpful, informative, or funny

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

Just now, TheBritishVillain said:

A lot of people stop watching at episode 26, however they miss out on the Mikami arc and the actual ending. The final speech at the end is one of the greatest voice acting dubs I have ever seen and has made me cry ever time I watch it. 

The anime is truly brilliant in every way. - However, I would understand though why some people might prefer Code Geass over Death Note with it being more 'action' and fighting, where as Death Note is more slice of life (to an extent.)

Spoiler

Was that the episode where Light died right? 

Also I watch my anime in Russian so a lot of times the voice actor is the same for Lelouch as Light and etc. so about the greatest dub i'm skeptical.

Quote me for a reply, React if I was helpful, informative, or funny

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

Hunter x Hunter first episode review (I thought I added Code Geoss first but guess not. I'll look for it later. 6~ people said it was good.)

Spoiler

Best part: They got into the plot without wasting much time. I think 2 minutes after the intro I got what tf the show is about.

Anime isms:

1. Big ass fish

2. Big ass wave

3. Crew is scared but captain is like "nah, this is where the fun begins!"

4. the blonde girl (or boy) is overly protective cuz "I hAVE a dArK PasT" then overly exposition dumps.

5. The sailor they saved comes running back whilst the 2 feud kids are yelling at the protaganist to say thanks so the 2 immature contestants apologise & grow up.

6. Idk what the thing is called but when a commercial break was supposed to happen, they're all "Hunter vocabulary!" That had no relevance to the story imo, prolly some japanese quirk with selling a toy ig.

7. Protaganist is overly perfect.

It was decent however & I will give it a fair watch. There's nothing glaringly wrong, the show is okay so far. It's all in Japanese with english subtitles but that's not really a problem idc that much.

I like that the show just starts, the characters are very visually distinct from one another as well as the protaganist being very different from any other anime protaganist I've seen aside from Yu Gi Oh but even then they're still very different.

Good recommendation so far. But with anime there's a few anime isms which I can deal with. There were  only 7 & very throw away incidents.

Protaganist being overly perfect will probably be explained further with him having some supernatural thing with his bloodline. His father was touched on a little so he's prolly the boss or really talented.

Solid 65% thus far. Some foreshadowing, decent story, got started quickly. A lot of shows just don't start for a long time. I expect this show to get better in the subsequent episodes, it has a good setup.

Jay Z studio

Spoiler
Spoiler
6 hours ago, JZStudios said:

I'm the same way. Western TV shows are completely aimless and go on way too long.

Ever since TWD, every TV show and their mother needed an endless story series...

Outside of Psych, Malcolm in the Middle, Monk, and How I met your Mother I haven't really watched entire series of Western TV.

Season 1 of stranger things is decent if you go into it knowing Season 2 & 3 are bad.

Generation Kill is a true story that's funny & informative of the invasion on iraq.

The Mandalorian is the last good show I can really recommend that's like Western Live action & whatnot. I didn't see all of breaking bad but it was cool.

A lot of anime is just tropes that are entertaining at first, but after about 5 series it's just completely based around trope predictions.

Are you me from the future?

• Assassination Classroom

Didn't like. I thought it was kinda dumb. The alien thing talked too much. I got like 3~5 episodes in.

• 91 Days
  • Dororo
  • Durarara
  • Ancient Magus' Bride
  • Kino's Journey
  • Food Wars
  • Bungo Stray Dogs
  • Goblin Slayer
  • Erased
  • (I just like these 2) Barakamon and Handa-Kun.

I'll check these out. Dororo and barakamon were recomended by some other guys.

4 hours ago, JZStudios said:

Don't mention that, you'll get bad boy points. Just like I just did. I hate this forum.

I'm fine with it. Most regulars get the "nudge nudge wink wink."

British Villain

Spoiler
Spoiler
2 hours ago, TheBritishVillain said:

Firstly, let me just start by saying that i'm one of the biggest Death Note fans there is. 

I have watched it about 5 times and watch it every year in December. I have also read the manga, including the subsequent stories that don't involve Light Yagami. I don't think an anime will ever come close to the greatness that is Death Note. - If someone IRL said they could officially erase Death Note from my memory for £5000, just so I could watch it for the first time again; I would happily do it (I'm serious too). However, I still get a buzz every time I watch it. 

I saw it about as many times. I loved it when I first saw it. I kinda already know everything so it's not as good when you've seen it like 6 times in 2~ years. Aside from Misa Amane on re-watches, it's pretty good. She's kinda a brick wall when she gets introduced for me.

Now ever since I watched Death Note 7 or so years ago, I have searched the anime land for similar anime where it involves such genius, planning, unthinkable strategy and a main character with a Godly psyche. Let me tell you that if you are looking for a Death Note replica, unfortunately you will never find it. There is a reason Death Note is the number 1 greatest anime of all time on the majority of top anime lists on the web (and usually it's within the top 3 if not 1st).

:(

1.) Kaiji: Ultimiate Survior

2.) Code Geass

3.) One Outs

-Monster

-Psycho Pass

Mirai Nikki. (But still a good watch.)

I'll check those out! Thanks

1 hour ago, TheBritishVillain said:

A lot of people stop watching at episode 26, however they miss out on the Mikami arc and the actual ending.

L is the best antaganist. The rest is just to finish the story. You can't change my mind.

The anime is truly brilliant in every way. - However, I would understand though why some people might prefer Code Geass over Death Note with it being more 'action' and fighting, where as Death Note is more slice of life (to an extent.)

I've gotten over action sequences so action is neither here nor there for me. If it makes sense to the story, yeah sure that's cool. There was a cool battle in Death Note when the dad dies.

But having action sequences just to have action sequences is annoying to me. The only over the top action movies I sorta like is the Marvel movies because the graphics are cutting edge. Warcraft in Imax is going to stomp your 2d fight scene every day of the week.

1 hour ago, Gundar said:

Also I watch my anime in Russian so a lot of times the voice actor is the same for Lelouch as Light and etc. so about the greatest dub i'm skeptical.

I've seen some non-anime with shared voice actors & that is very confusing/annoying. Put it in a random language like French & throw on subtitles.

I don't remember a Lelouch, so I'm guessing he's from the other show. If that's the case, I definitely get your tedium.

Any action movie with Arnold Schwartzenegger... I don't know the character's name unless it's Arnold as I just see him as Arnold or The Terminator.

3 hours ago, Nena360 said:

First mobile suit Gundam is mobile suit Gundam you can watch it in order of release or by timeline, timeline might be best solution.

https://gundam.fandom.com/wiki/Universal_Century

Edit: Actually origin is a prequel made recently so if in chronological order then Origin is go to. :)

Origin was really nicely done, top notch animation and great character building back story.

Spoiler

The gassed colony got to me a bit though.

I disagree. It starts okay, but after the pig faced guy and the orange hair guy joined it was exceptionally irritating.

OP may as well start it as the following season/s will be much better. I'm saying there's no BS, basically straight to action right to the end.

Main PC CPU: 7700K, MOBO: Asus Strix, GPU: Aorus Extreme 3080, PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB Storage: 970 Evo 1tb

Lounge PC CPU: 4790K MOBO: Asus Hero VII GPU: EVGA 3060 Ti PSU: Corsair RM650 RAM: Kingston HyperX 16gb Storage: 970 Evo 1TB

anime.jpg

Ignore the obvious bleh stuff, like Bleach, Naruto, DBZ, etc.... Of my picture, I'd recommend:

- Beck 
- Initial D 
- KIBA
- Samurai Champloo

As for others people have recommended:

- Blood+ and Ergo Proxy are okay, but might get a bit dry.
- Rurouni Kenshin - Tsuiokuhen is solid all-around. As stated before, ignore the main series.
- I dislike anything mech outside of Eva (and Eva itself is polarizing for anime fans), so your mileage may vary.
- Most of @JZStudios list has been on my own massive list of series to start watching for what it's worth. I've just always been short on time to start anything new. (As one can tell from what I own, it's pretty much all old).

If MAL was currently working, I'd have more options to recommend outside of what I currently own, my memory isn't helping me out on what I've seen that would be good to recommend.

7 hours ago, Commodus said:

I look at it this way: if you're knowledgeable enough to know what weebs are, you'll probably enjoy One Punch Man.  😛

I casually watch anime and I still don't really know what weebs are. I think they're wannabe Japanese nerds or something.

2 hours ago, fpo said:

Ever since TWD, every TV show and their mother needed an endless story series...

Season 1 of stranger things is decent if you go into it knowing Season 2 & 3 are bad.

Generation Kill is a true story that's funny & informative of the invasion on iraq.

The Mandalorian is the last good show I can really recommend that's like Western Live action & whatnot. I didn't see all of breaking bad but it was cool.

Shows have been like that for a LONG time, the only difference is things like LOST and TWD pretended like they had a story or a point that was going somewhere and never did. I saw Stranger Things, and it was good. Then I saw season 2 and thought... why? Then we cancelled our Netflix subscription. Generation Kill would interest me, except I don't have an easy way to watch it. Not really interested in Star War.

2 hours ago, fpo said:

Are you me from the future?

Maybe? I don't know. I literally just go through the list of shows on Crunchyroll or whatever and try out the first episode before I go to sleep. There's only so many times you can see the same thing before just looking at it and saying "Nerdy kid no one likes is going to walk around the corner and bump into hot girl, his face will then be firmly in her gooch while his hands magnetize towards her boobs, wherein she will exclaim "I hate you! Keep doing it! Idiot!" Then it happens and I turn it off and move on to the next. Legitimately 95% of anime is just pure trope. It's fun the first couple times for the sheer absurdity, but it happens every fucking show.

2 hours ago, fpo said:

Didn't like. I thought it was kinda dumb. The alien thing talked too much. I got like 3~5 episodes in.

Yeah, it takes a little while, but I think it gets better as it goes on. There's a lot of unique characters that all have their arcs and character growth.

Another cautious recommendation would be My Bride is a Mermaid. I haven't watched it since I was new to anime so it could be full of tropes, but I remember it being a pretty slapstick comedy I enjoyed, kind of like Airplane!! or Naked Gun. Basic plot is a guy sees a mermaid, but she's the daughter of a mermaid mafia godfather, so he's forced to marry her or be executed. It's fucking dumb, but it was funny at the time.

2 hours ago, fpo said:

I'll check these out. Dororo and barakamon were recomended by some other guys.

Dororo is 100% a recommend. It's rad. I'm rewatching it now. Barakamon is a slower burn.

#Muricaparrotgang

Lmao this thread literally got saturated in the weebiest shit, Code Geass, Clannad, HunterxHunter, Kekkai Sensen, Another, Bakemonogatari, Attack on Titan. I saw someone recommend Prison School ffs. Why would you even do that? Also who's out here recommending mindless giant robot junk like Gundam? Smh

The literal only right answer to this thread is 

• Cowboy Bebop (English Dub)  [~24 episodes]
  • Tatami Galaxy (more of an original concept, literally zero anime cliches)  [11 episodes]
  • Tokyo Godfathers [movie, 90 mins]
  • Rurouni Kenshin - Tsuiokuhen [4 episodes, really dark Samurai story. Do not watch the shitty main series]

No anime cliches, amazing concepts, and thank fuck, NO HIGH SCHOOL

Monster and Legend of the Galactic Heroes are good, but too long to recommend.

Bungou stray dogs, Steins gate. Both anime with smart people. Sometimes a bit over the top. But always an amazing story. I cant watch enough of it.

10 hours ago, JZStudios said:

literal representations of literary authors

Fuck I was hoping for a show about encyclopedia authors

Ayaya unite!  1

Btw what is your definition of "weebs" anime? Is it your typical shounen anime like dbz, naruto, bleach, >9000 others similar anime? Or cutesy slice of life like video 👆 above?

Or both?

A lot of anime that i want to recommend already listed by others so i'm not going to repeat it.

Eyeshield 21 - Shounen/Football

YuYu Hakusho - Shounen/Isekai

Gungrave - Mystery/Action

Switch - Mystery/Action

Ergo Proxy - Mystery/Sci-Fi/Gore

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

6 minutes ago, xAcid9 said:

Oh that looks like it's Japanese from start to finish 

What ?!?! Is that ?!?!?

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

I casually watch anime and I still don't really know what weebs are. I think they're wannabe Japanese nerds or something.

Maybe? I don't know. I literally just go through the list of shows on Crunchyroll or whatever and try out the first episode before I go to sleep. There's only so many times you can see the same thing before just looking at it and saying "Nerdy kid no one likes is going to walk around the corner and bump into hot girl, his face will then be firmly in her gooch while his hands magnetize towards her boobs, wherein she will exclaim "I hate you! Keep doing it! Idiot!" Then it happens and I turn it off and move on to the next. Legitimately 95% of anime is just pure trope. It's fun the first couple times for the sheer absurdity, but it happens every fucking show.

Pretty much sums it up for me.

I too am not a habitual viewer by any means, just when something catches my eye and then hope it's not going to disappoint.

All the standard cliche's in play with most I've ever seen but at least I do understand "Why" it's like that. It's when I run across one that's of a different vein is when I take interest and then hope it's good.

There are a few that touch on the standard tropes but never bother to really go into it because the theme of what it's about just isn't "That" if you will, one example I've seen before (Overlord) does touch on it in a few instances but in limited fashion overall, note I said overall but not that it doesn't in a few ways at least.
At least you don't see the usual harem in play.... Or do you?

Even that one has a few instances of the usual too, such as wearing a simple mask and no other change being able to hide someone's identity from other characters. 

Even if wearing the same exact outfit and it's a simple mask that just covers the face and no more, the other characters still don't see it and cannot figure out the obvious.

Also the reason it all began was based on a theme that was common at the time it started, about players getting trapped in a VR situation. That one has been used more than once you know. 😉

I guess that's why it's called a standard trope.

Others are all about it period, like it was with every other horror movie once upon a time being about college co-ed's getting slaughtered in various ways by various monsters and villans and so on, more or less a different serving of the same old stuff.

For me - There is a standard formula most of them seem to follow, it's the ones that break away from it and manage to be good or even great are the ones I like to see but those are indeed few and far between.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

7 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

Giant Robot/Mech/Robots is fine, and not all of it is bad.  Gundam, some of Zoids, and Go Nagi versions are fine.  It's more when you get into Astro Boy, Gigantor, NGE, and others where it becomes super weebish.  OP seems to want to avoid feeling like a high school kid, too too much non comedy fan service, and some other weebier stuff like K-On.  They don't mind some stuff with cliches, like High School of the Dead.  They seem to be interested in darker animes, gore, and good story plus comedy that has fan service.  They implied so in their responses.

Vinland Saga would likely be solid too. Gritty, no real fan service shit and good story 👌.

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

13 hours ago, TheBritishVillain said:

A lot of people stop watching at episode 26, however they miss out on the Mikami arc and the actual ending. The final speech at the end is one of the greatest voice acting dubs I have ever seen and has made me cry ever time I watch it. 

Dubs meh...

Death Note's only real flaw is turning Light into someone he isn't by the end of it. Making mistakes, and becoming that hysterical shell of what he was, was the absolute worst ending to the show. He should have won, period. But it's still one of my favorite animes.

25 minutes ago, divito said:

Dubs meh...

Death Note's only real flaw is turning Light into someone he isn't by the end of it. Making mistakes, and becoming that hysterical shell of what he was, was the absolute worst ending to the show. He should have won, period. But it's still one of my favorite animes.

I felt the ending to be fairly plausible. It was by an extremely narrow margin that Light lost in the end. Toward the end, Light was so absolutely certain of his victory that any other outcome was inconceivable, especially losing to someone decidedly inferior to L. 

However, while Light was always careful to scrutinize his own actions, he neglected to do the same of Mikami. 

My opinion of course. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

2 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

I felt the ending to be fairly plausible. It was by an extremely narrow margin that Light lost in the end. Toward the end, Light was so absolutely certain of his victory that any other outcome was inconceivable, especially losing to someone decidedly inferior to L. 

However, while Light was always careful to scrutinize his own actions, he neglected to do the same of Mikami. 

My opinion of course. 

Oh, don't get me wrong, there's nothing outlandish about how they played the ending.

However, in how they showcased Light and built him up, and when I viewed the series when it came out, I think they did a disservice to him in that oversight resulting in his loss, and at his mental breakdown at the end. It rang as disingenuous when I watched it, and actually tilted me quite a bit.