RTX 2080 SUPER and i7 7700k CPU bottleneck

eera5607

Hi. My PC have a i7 7700k CPU and a GTX 1660Ti GPU. Have had this PC for almost 3 years. I really don't want to change the motherboard and CPU anytime soon since it works simply fine for everything I do with my PC. I don't consider myself a gamer but from time to time I play American Truck Simulator, Cities: Skylines, DiRT Rally 1 and 2, Portal 2, Anno 1800, and Age of Empires. Also, I would like to play the next Microsoft Flight Simulator game when it comes out. I also have a 4k LG monitor with a refresh rate of 60Hz and don't plan to upgrade any time soon. I was thinking on buying an RTX 2080 SUPER but I'm not sure if it is worth it to wait for the new models. I did some comparisons:

https://pc-builds.com/cyri/Core_i7-7700K/GeForce_RTX_2080_SUPER/0Km14v/

https://www.gpucheck.com/compare/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2080-super-vs-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1660-ti/intel-core-i7-7700k-4-20ghz-vs-intel-core-i7-7700k-4-20ghz/ultra/ultra/-vs-?lang=en&currency=usd

And I think the CPU would be a bottleneck even if I buy an RTX 2080 SUPER and way more if I wait for a new model. But I think that playing at 4k and with a maximum refresh rate of 60Hz the effect of the bottleneck would be less than one would think. 

image.png.526a2cfa8b817d3b369d1269e39489a0.png

According to that same website, the 1660Ti that I already have is a better match but for lower resolutions, I think. 

Do you recommend waiting for a new GPU model from Nvidia or it would be a worse bottleneck? Take into consideration that I want this to be the GPU that I use for 3 more years. Which GPU would be a good match to play at 4k, high settings and 60 FPS? 

Thank you very much. 

Note: the CPU is overclocked to 4.8 GHz. 

1 minute ago, eera5607 said:

That website is probably useless

your CPU is fine for 144hz gaming

just wait for the 30 series and big navi at the end of the year at this point though, your GPU is already pretty good.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

You are gonna be just fine for 60fps/hz gaming but for 144fps 7700k is just not enough in some games anymore

R9 5900X, Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240, Gigabyte B550 AORUS ELITE V2, 2x16GB Kingston FuryX 3800MHZ CL18 Hynix DJR "Tuned" , Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC, Windows 11

1 minute ago, Streetguru said:

just wait for the 30 series and big navi at the end of the year at this point though, your GPU is already pretty good.

i would have to agree, the 1660 ti isnt that bad of a gpu at all. so i think you should wait as well.