Port forwarding in windows

Hello, 

Recently my router malfunctioned and I couldn't buy a new one because of the lockdown. So the Stp cable of my modem now plugs in directly to my laptop. 

In the mean time I created a FTP server on Windows but I can't access that through the network without forwarding/opening the port 21.

I was looking for some ways to do that in windows as because I do not have any software level access to my modem. But I couldn't find a definite page for that. 

Does anyone know how to do that? 

Thanks. 

If it doesn't have a ui it will probs not work

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

4 hours ago, Kanna said:

If it doesn't have a ui it will probs not work

Umm what do you mean by it? 

The modem? 

7 minutes ago, tobeornottobealttfan said:

Umm what do you mean by it? 

The modem? 

Yeah 

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

Unplug that laptop. Never connect a computer directly to your modem unless it's running a router application like pfSense. Chances are your computer as collected your Public IP. This opens up the laptop to all sorts of potential attacks. Not to mention it's not a proper configuration. You NEED a router if the Modem doesn't have one built-in.

43 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Unplug that laptop. Never connect a computer directly to your modem unless it's running a router application like pfSense. Chances are your computer as collected your Public IP. This opens up the laptop to all sorts of potential attacks. Not to mention it's not a proper configuration. You NEED a router if the Modem doesn't have one built-in.

I didn't know that. Thanks but RN I have no other option other than to use it. I am in a containment zone. 

I don't have anything important on it though. 

1 minute ago, tobeornottobealttfan said:

I didn't know that. Thanks but RN I have no other option other than to use it. I am in a containment zone. 

I don't have anything important on it though. 

I still wouldn't recommend it. What are the chances you have a computer around with a couple NICs in it? You could spin-up a pfSense box just to run it long enough until quarantine ends.

6 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

I still wouldn't recommend it. What are the chances you have a computer around with a couple NICs in it? You could spin-up a pfSense box just to run it long enough until quarantine ends.

I have an old computer but that doesn't have any Wifi and only a single LAN port. 

So I don't think it can act as a router. 

54 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Besides, can't Windows firewall or Kaspersky firewall handle that on my laptop? 

2 minutes ago, tobeornottobealttfan said:

I have an old computer but that doesn't have any Wifi and only a single LAN port. 

So I don't think it can act as router. 

What exactly went wrong with the home router?

Besides, can't Windows firewall or Kaspersky firewall handle that on my laptop? 

A Windows Firewall or a 3rd party anti-virus is not the same as a router device. You have services running in the background that transmit data over the network that were never meant to be on the public internet without encryption. Windows Firewall and anti-virus aren't made to protect your PC when it has a Public IP. Those firewalls expect that you're behind a router, and you should be. 

11 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

I accidentally drowned it and didn't even notice until it shorted and went out. 😅

12 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Those firewalls expect that you're behind a router, and you should be. 

What about phones or tablets having cellular connections and running Windows?

Aren't those on public networks? 

I accidentally drowned it and didn't even notice until it shorted and went out. 😅

Why was liquid near your networking equipment?

4 minutes ago, tobeornottobealttfan said:

1 hour ago, Windows7ge said:

. Chances are your computer as collected your Public IP. This opens up the laptop to all sorts of potential attacks. 

Although when I set up my Internet connection, I had to enter staic IP (not the public Ip) , musk and gateway on my laptop. Doesn't that mean I am on a local network of my operator? 

What about phones or tablets having cellular connections and running Windows?

Aren't those on public networks? 

Honestly I can't comment on those. I know NAT64-CGN is commonly used in those implementations. An educated guess would say the router in that instance is on the ISP network. It's why you can't Port Forward on those networks.

4 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Why was liquid near your networking equipment?

I accidentally left an open glass o water on the table. 

The router was on the ground. 

The rest well you know.. 

1 minute ago, tobeornottobealttfan said:

Although when I set up my Internet connection, I had to enter staic IP (not the public Ip) , musk and gateway on my laptop. Doesn't that mean I am on a local network of my operator? 

Unless the IP you set-up falls into the Class A/B/C ranges then it is a Public IP.

Just now, tobeornottobealttfan said:

I accidentally left an open glass o water on the table. 

The router was on the ground. 

The rest well you know.. 

An understandable mishap. There's the chance it could be recoverable since its low voltage. Have to open it up and dry it out.

Just now, Windows7ge said:

An understandable mishap. There's the chance it could be recoverable since its low voltage. Have to open it up and dry it out.

I did but nada. 

I think its because I didn't turn off the router until it stopped working. (that's how I found out). 

5 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Unless the IP you set-up falls into the Class A/B/C ranges then it is a Public IP.

The Ip is something like 10.11.....

So I think it is a Class A? 

3 minutes ago, tobeornottobealttfan said:

I did but nada. 

I think its because I didn't turn off the router until it stopped working. (that's how I found out). 

Was it your router or was it provided by your ISP? If your ISP is considered an essential service they might replace it even if you're in quarantine.

The Ip is something like 10.11.....

So I think it is a Class A? 

10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255 is the Class A Private IP address range. What model number is your modem?

1 hour ago, Windows7ge said:

A Windows Firewall or a 3rd party anti-virus is not the same as a router device. You have services running in the background that transmit data over the network that were never meant to be on the public internet without encryption. Windows Firewall and anti-virus aren't made to protect your PC when it has a Public IP. Those firewalls expect that you're behind a router, and you should be. 

Windows firewall IS designed to handle being on a public network, the Internet is just a bigger one.

Sure its not AS secure as using a router, but its not as bad as you make out, as long as the firewall is turned on and the network is showing as Public, which it probably already is - which is why FTP is blocked.  If not, it would be insane for Windows to still support dialup and PPPoE connections.

As such, just enabled the FTP server in the firewall should open it up, although FTP itself is not exactly secure so it depends why you're using it in the first place.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

35 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255 is the Class A Private IP address range. What model number is your modem?

It is an off brand model. 

Only thing I can make out is that it is an HPNA(Home PNA) Eoc(ethernet over coax) slave. 

Just now, Alex Atkin UK said:

Windows firewall IS designed to handle being on a public network, the Internet is just a bigger one.

Sure its not AS secure as using a router, but its not as bad as you make out, as long as the firewall is turned on and the network is showing as Public.  If not, it would be insane for Windows to still support dialup and PPPoE connections.t

The network is saved as Public. 

Is there any way to port forward in windows? 

The network is saved as Public. 

Is there any way to port forward in windows? 

If the FTP server is ON that Windows machine, you merely enable it in Windows firewall which opens the port, not forward it.  But be very cautious with FTP as any passwords you use there are sent completely unencrypted over the Internet.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7