HX1200W Used for Mining for around 100$ good deal??

Promosss
Go to solution Solved by Deli,
7 minutes ago, Promosss said:

I'm thinking of upgrading my PSU but i've never needed that much power. It's just with the PSU prices going crazy around the world i'm thinking if this is a good deal then why not.

Assume he ran his mining system 24/7 near the full capacity of the PSU for a year. It will definitely wear out the components inside. On the other hand, if your PC only draws 300-400w at max load. That PSU should be just fine and safe to use.

However if you have a high power system, e.g. draws 600-700w. I probably will skip that PSU.

Hi, I'm eyeing a HX1200W for around 100$ used.

But the seller stated that it has been used for mining for around a year.

Can mining impact PSU's quality/performance?

Is this a good deal?

Thanks before.

1 minute ago, Deli said:

Why do you need a 1200w PSU?

I'm thinking of upgrading my PSU but i've never needed that much power. It's just with the PSU prices going crazy around the world i'm thinking if this is a good deal then why not.

7 minutes ago, Promosss said:

Assume he ran his mining system 24/7 near the full capacity of the PSU for a year. It will definitely wear out the components inside. On the other hand, if your PC only draws 300-400w at max load. That PSU should be just fine and safe to use.

However if you have a high power system, e.g. draws 600-700w. I probably will skip that PSU.

2 minutes ago, Deli said:

For now yes around 300-400w. In the future maybe just about 600-650w max when i upgrade my GPU. So it should run just fine then, thanks for the answer.

A HX1200 for $100 is not a bad price, but if your system only uses up to 350W then there's not much point buying it over a brand new 550W unit for <$100 that would come with warranty. If your system actually requires a 1200W PSU, then you've probably spent several thousand dollars on the system and there's no point trying to save a quick buck by buying a heavily used 2nd hand PSU.

One of the concerns with mining rigs is the high temperature environment they could be left to run in 24/7. If it's out in their tin shed with 50 other mining machines it's going to be HOT! Excessive heat will wear components faster.

Other concern is if they overload the cables using splitters and adapters trying to plug in more graphics cards than they should. End up with bad connectors, fried pins, melted cables. Especially if they're stupid enough to try powering GPUs off peripheral cables.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

4 hours ago, Spotty said:

A HX1200 for $100 is not a bad price, but if your system only uses up to 350W then there's not much point buying it over a brand new 550W unit for <$100 that would come with warranty. If your system actually requires a 1200W PSU, then you've probably spent several thousand dollars on the system and there's no point trying to save a quick buck by buying a heavily used 2nd hand PSU.

One of the concerns with mining rigs is the high temperature environment they could be left to run in 24/7. If it's out in their tin shed with 50 other mining machines it's going to be HOT! Excessive heat will wear components faster.

Other concern is if they overload the cables using splitters and adapters trying to plug in more graphics cards than they should. End up with bad connectors, fried pins, melted cables. Especially if they're stupid enough to try powering GPUs off peripheral cables.

I also have a deal on EVGA 1300 W G1 for 70 euros...used for mining..but now I think I'll pass that deal,though that PSU is good one..

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

Thanks for understanding.