Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

FreeNAS randomly stopped seeing NIC

JDLang76
 Share

Asus Z97-AR - Chelsio 520-BT 10gbe nic - Unifi switch

 

Worked fine for years on motherboards 1gb port. Worked fine for weeks on chelsio 10gb card. Turned it off to install an LSI HBA today and suddenly, FreeNAS doesnt think the Chelsio nic exists. Been at this for hours. Anyone have any ideas?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd hit up the freenas forums, lots of people there with a lot more experience. They'll likely request the same thing I'm requesting you right now: 

poast logs 🤠

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Have you tried connecting the 10Gig card to a different machine? Does it register?

Guides & Tutorials:

Testing for RAM Errors w/ MemTest86

How To: Remotely Access a Computer, Server, or NAS

How To: Access Remote Systems at Home/Work Securely from Anywhere with Pritunl

How to Format Storage Devices in Windows 10

A How-To: Drive Sharing in Windows 10

VFIO GPU Pass-though w/ Looking Glass KVM on Ubuntu 19.04

A How-To Guide: Building a Rudimentary Disk Enclosure

Three Methods to Resetting a Windows Login Password

 

Guide/Tutorial in Progress:

iPXE Network Booting to an iSCSI Target

 

In the Queue:

 

 

Don't see what you need? Check the Full List or *PM me, if I haven't made it I'll add it to the list.

*NOTE: I'll only add it to the list if the request is something I know I can do.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you unplug the HBA, does it come back? It might be an addressing issue. 

Try swapping the cards around to different slots?

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe, 4TB WD Black | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor x2 | Ducky DK2108 Keyboard | Steel Series Sensei Ten | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOS-X Controller | Windows 10 Pro

 

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 10 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, dbx10 said:

I'd hit up the freenas forums, lots of people there with a lot more experience. They'll likely request the same thing I'm requesting you right now: 

poast logs 🤠

I did 2 days ago. No responses. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Jarsky said:

If you unplug the HBA, does it come back? It might be an addressing issue. 

Try swapping the cards around to different slots?

Thats what I thought but same issue.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

Have you tried connecting the 10Gig card to a different machine? Does it register?

Just did. plugged it into a windows box and got errors when trying to install Chelsio's software. Same deal with updating drivers manually with windows. It saw the card but had all sorts of erros. Im guessing the card just went bad. Oh well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, JDLang76 said:

Just did. plugged it into a windows box and got errors when trying to install Chelsio's software. Same deal with updating drivers manually with windows. It saw the card but had all sorts of erros. Im guessing the card just went bad. Oh well.

Assuming you know the drivers for the card worked on Windows previously then yes you're probably looking at a NIC that was simply on it's last leg and failed when you shutdown the server for maintenance.

 

If you want to give it the benefit of a doubt try booting something like Ubuntu Server and see if it's recognized and works.

Guides & Tutorials:

Testing for RAM Errors w/ MemTest86

How To: Remotely Access a Computer, Server, or NAS

How To: Access Remote Systems at Home/Work Securely from Anywhere with Pritunl

How to Format Storage Devices in Windows 10

A How-To: Drive Sharing in Windows 10

VFIO GPU Pass-though w/ Looking Glass KVM on Ubuntu 19.04

A How-To Guide: Building a Rudimentary Disk Enclosure

Three Methods to Resetting a Windows Login Password

 

Guide/Tutorial in Progress:

iPXE Network Booting to an iSCSI Target

 

In the Queue:

 

 

Don't see what you need? Check the Full List or *PM me, if I haven't made it I'll add it to the list.

*NOTE: I'll only add it to the list if the request is something I know I can do.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 6/6/2020 at 12:53 PM, Windows7ge said:

Assuming you know the drivers for the card worked on Windows previously then yes you're probably looking at a NIC that was simply on it's last leg and failed when you shutdown the server for maintenance.

 

If you want to give it the benefit of a doubt try booting something like Ubuntu Server and see if it's recognized and works.

Im just going with its bad. I ordered another one. Thanks!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×