Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I need a Mac OS Bootcamp Wizard!

Grant Vogel

Okay.  So I am a noob.  I have a Mac Pro and am trying to run a 5700 xt in bootcamp.  It doesn’t recognize the GPU on startup and I can’t figure out where to download drivers from.  When I download the latest drivers from the AMD website it says that there is no GPU hooked up.  The GPU is recognized in Mac OS.  I have confirmed that it is installed properly as well.  Currently when I look in device manager it shows “ MIcrosoft Basic Display Adapter” and when you click on that it says “This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31).”  “The driver trying to start is not the same as the driver for the POSTed display adapter.”  

I have seen quite a few people running this setup on YouTube but no one says anything about this being tough to do.  Please help!

Remove the Bootcamp partition in macOS via the Bootcamp assistant. Re-install Windows 10 with the 5700XT connected. Use the drivers that will be provided in the Apple Support Software. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | CPU: R5 2600 | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 16GB 2666 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 10 | Storage: 480GB PNY SSD & 2TB WD Green HDD | PSU: Corsair CX600M | Display: Dell 27 Gaming Monitor S2719DGF 1440p @155Hz, Dell UZ2215H 21.5" 1080p, ViewSonic VX2450wm-LED 23.6" 1080p | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G303 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball

1 hour ago, Grant Vogel said:

Okay.  So I am a noob.  I have a Mac Pro and am trying to run a 5700 xt in bootcamp.  It doesn’t recognize the GPU on startup and I can’t figure out where to download drivers from.  When I download the latest drivers from the AMD website it says that there is no GPU hooked up.  The GPU is recognized in Mac OS.  I have confirmed that it is installed properly as well.  Currently when I look in device manager it shows “ MIcrosoft Basic Display Adapter” and when you click on that it says “This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31).”  “The driver trying to start is not the same as the driver for the POSTed display adapter.”  

I have seen quite a few people running this setup on YouTube but no one says anything about this being tough to do.  Please help!

Okay.  I can do that.  That makes some sense as I hooked up the 5700xt after creating the bootcamp partition.  Kinda crazy that every time you want to change GPU’s you have redo the bootcamp process.  Is there a way to save the partition so you don’t have to reinstall all of the files and applications again?

2 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

Remove the Bootcamp partition in macOS via the Bootcamp assistant. Re-install Windows 10 with the 5700XT connected. Use the drivers that will be provided in the Apple Support Software. 

I removed the bootcamp drive and reinstalled it.  Unfortunately, it is showing the same error code.  Any other thoughts?

3 minutes ago, Grant Vogel said:

Any other thoughts?

What model Mac Pro is this?

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | CPU: R5 2600 | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 16GB 2666 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 10 | Storage: 480GB PNY SSD & 2TB WD Green HDD | PSU: Corsair CX600M | Display: Dell 27 Gaming Monitor S2719DGF 1440p @155Hz, Dell UZ2215H 21.5" 1080p, ViewSonic VX2450wm-LED 23.6" 1080p | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G303 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball

2 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

What model Mac Pro is this?

Try using DDU to remove the current drivers and install the latest ones from AMDs website. Also be sure to remove the GPU that came

with the Mac. 

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/apple-boot-camp