Sony SSD fastest SSD

Gamer Schnitzel
Go to solution Solved by Void Master,
5 minutes ago, Gamer Schnitzel said:

I heard that the Sony SSD is the fastest and that they somehow overclocked it for it to be faster than any consumer SSD.

Is this true? I want to build a PC when the new cards come out and hate the idea that my storage would be slower than the Sony SSD.

Is there perhaps a write/read speed that we can use to check whether an SSD is faster than the PS5 SSD?

Please don't link me the $500 Aorus SSD though..

watch this first:

I heard that the Sony SSD is the fastest and that they somehow overclocked it for it to be faster than any consumer SSD.

Is this true? I want to build a PC when the new cards come out and hate the idea that my storage would be slower than the Sony SSD.

Is there perhaps a write/read speed that we can use to check whether an SSD is faster than the PS5 SSD?

watch this first:

Please quote or tag me @Void Master,so i can see your reply.

Everyone was a noob at the beginning, don't be discouraged by toxic trolls even if u lose 15 times in a row. Keep training and pushing yourself further and further, so u can show those sorry lots how it's done !

Be a supportive player, and make sure to reflect a good image of the game community you are a part of. 

Don't kick a player unless they willingly want to ruin your experience.

We are the gamer community, we should take care of each other !

they somehow overclocked

completely wrong 

they have a new compression system and a new controller etc

watch the video ltt just released explaining how it works  

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

I would recommend you watch thy LTT video released today, it is on this topic. Basically Tim Sweeney didn’t say the Sony SSD is the “fastest”, he said it was “best-in-class”. The reason they are able to have the “best-in-class” SSD is because they control the software as well as the hardware for storage, which SSD manufactures for PC SSDs can’t do. It is basically a limitation of windows iirc. As for checking the write/read speeds, that won’t be possible until the PS5 is released, even then I don’t know how you would test them since you would have to take into account the software side of things as well.

Spoiler

The PlayStation 5's new solid state drive isn't your run of the mill PCIe 4.0 SSD. It's heavily customized on a number of levels, including its revamped 12-channel memory controller. While on the surface it has similar specs to a PC-level SSD like PCIe 4.0 interface with 4x lanes on an M.2 card using the NVMe protocol, it's been built from the ground up specifically for the system's custom 7nm AMD SoC and 16GB of GDDR6 system memory. And in many ways, the SSD is the most important part of the PlayStation 5.

Read more: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/71340/understanding-the-ps5s-ssd-deep-dive-into-next-gen-storage-tech/index.html

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/71340/understanding-the-ps5s-ssd-deep-dive-into-next-gen-storage-tech/index.html

They didn't overclock it. It's pretty much a custom SSD from everything I've read. Including the memory channels. 12 vs up to 10, but usually 8. They are designed to be faster with their hardware. It's kind of an apples to oranges thing.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

I'm sure it's going to heavily read optimized, maybe even in spite of writes.  

Gaming - AMD TR 3970X | ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme II | G.SKILL Neo 3600 64GB | Zotac Nvidia 2080 Ti AMP | 2x Sabarent 1TB NVMe | Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD | Phanteks Enthoo 719 | Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 1000w | Corsair K70 RGB Lux | Corsiar M65 | 2x ASUS Rog PG279Q | BenQ EW3270U | Windows 10 Pro | EKWB Custom loop

ITX - Intel i7-10700k | Asus ROG Z490-I Gaming | G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200 32GB | EVGA 2080 Super| Samsung 970 Evo 1TB | Samsung 860 Evo 1TB SSD | NZXT H1| Windows 10 Pro

HTPC - Intel i9-9900k | Asus ROG Maximus XI Code | G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200 32GB | EVGA 1070 | Samsung 970 1TB | WD Blue 1TB SSD | NZXT H700  | EVGA G3 1000W | Corsair H150i | Windows 10 Pro

Servers - SuperMicro 846 | 2x 2695L V2 | 128GB | Chelsio 10Gbe | Chelsio 40Gbe | 24 x 6TB | FreeNas - SuperMicro 826 | 2 x 2695L | 128GB | Chelsio 10Gbe | Chelsio 40Gbe | 8 x 10TB | 847 24 x 1TB SSD | Windows Server 2019

Work - Dell XPS 15 9560 | i7-7700HQ | 32 GB RAM | 1TB NVMe | 4k dsiplay

There will be plenty of drives faster than Sony's SSD, the compression is a different story. I cover it on Reddit but not here.

7 hours ago, Gamer Schnitzel said:

..., hate the idea that my storage would be slower than the Sony SSD.

Why is this an issue? Not sure if Making sure you having a faster storage method than a console is really an issue, or at least one that is important enough to get flustered over.

The one you think of in upcoming consoles is completely different thing though. It's a fairly fast SSD in it self in general, but software and hardware around it's function is much more optimized to get more out of SSD better yet optimizing bottlenecks between SSD and other hardware how they communicate and stream data from it to other components that request it. 

Depends on budget just get a solid SSD with capacity you can afford and all good. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |