Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Laptop Water Spill (Pls Help; System Image Help)

Like an idiot, I spilled a pretty impressive amount of water on my laptop (AORUS 15-X9). I have since disassembled it and removed the battery. I've had a giant fan blowing on it for about 8 hours now and am going to leave it alone over night. I'm gonna try to turn it back on when I wake up and attempt to create a system image. The laptop is still under warranty, so I can get a replacement because I'm pretty sure I'm gonna have issues with the keyboard and mousepad after this. Assuming it has the same hardware, will I be able to load the system image onto the replacement laptop and have everything working smoothly again?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think you'll get a new one on warranty after dousing it with water. The water damage will be obvious.See if your covered by your home insurance.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Warranty doesn't cover user caused damage as far as I know.

Did laptop just blackout or you managed to turn it off by unplugging? If you had a SATA Disk drive, it has own case so I guess that should be fine... If any hardware is broken it will not boot even with working installation media though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

do not boot it up tomorrow. put stuff in rice and wait 3-4 more days

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 2.0: R7 2700 @4.0ghz, B450m Steel Legends, H105, 4x8gb Geil EVO 2866, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 250, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review      Buy my old RX 580

 

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, rokinon 25 T1.5, Helios44-m, Sony FS700R, 2 Cos-11D lavs

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, LWM723 said:

I don't think you'll get a new one on warranty after dousing it with water. The water damage will be obvious.See if your covered by your home insurance.

Allow me to be more specific. The warranty is an accidental drop and spill protection plan. I used the wrong wording to describe it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, RageTester said:

Warranty doesn't cover user caused damage as far as I know.

Did laptop just blackout or you managed to turn it off by unplugging? If you had a SATA Disk drive, it has own case so I guess that should be fine... If any hardware is broken it will not boot even with working installation media though.

The laptop shut off pretty soon after I pulled it off the charger. I'm gonna assume the water caused it to shut off, but I honestly can't be sure because sometimes my laptop will go into sleep mode after disconnecting. As for the rice, I assume I should screw the back cover onto the laptop again before I put it in the rice right lol?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, GDRRiley said:

do not boot it up tomorrow. put stuff in rice and wait 3-4 more days

 

3 minutes ago, DetectiveMelon said:

The laptop shut off pretty soon after I pulled it off the charger. I'm gonna assume the water caused it to shut off, but I honestly can't be sure because sometimes my laptop will go into sleep mode after disconnecting. As for the rice, I assume I should screw the back cover onto the laptop again before I put it in the rice right lol?

God no, rice wont do a thing but make it look like its dry if even that.

The problem is that the battery is still putting some current through your machine. If only for the on/off switch to work.

That current + water means the contacts will oxidize and "grow" bigger each time you boot it up till it fries something.

 

The only sollution: Disconnect the battery if possible and get it to a repair center ASAP.

As ong as the battery is attached it will continue to do further damage

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Dujith said:

 

God no, rice wont do a thing but make it look like its dry if even that.

The problem is that the battery is still putting some current through your machine. If only for the on/off switch to work.

That current + water means the contacts will oxidize and "grow" bigger each time you boot it up till it fries something.

 

The only sollution: Disconnect the battery if possible and get it to a repair center ASAP.

As ong as the battery is attached it will continue to do further damage

The first thing I did was remove the battery

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, DetectiveMelon said:

The first thing I did was remove the battery

So it might not have done any damage, but it can also have in that time. You should always let it be cleaned /  checked at a repair center.

A tiny amount of water somewhere beneath a chip will cause issues when you have it up and running again.

 

In the end its your own call.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×