Monitor Help. Please

madchef25

Hello Everyone, 

I posted about this issue before and didn't receive a response. Hoping I'll have a bit more luck this time around. I purchased a new monitor three weeks ago, and I've been having a weird issue ever since. Both My monitors run at 144hz. However my main monitor seems to slow down after a reboot. Its hard to put into words, but I know what 144hz should feel like and it just seems off. The only way to fix this issue is to open up NVidia control panel and change my refresh rate to 120 and then back to 144. Here are a couple quick examples of what happens. Ill do my best to put it into words. The easiest way for me to notice is just by moving my mouse across the display. Its feels choppy. When opening the start menu, I've noticed it sort of lags a little. its just not smooth. Finally, if I try to run a game while this is happening its runs terribly. I've gamed on 60hz for many years and this feels worse.  Searching all over the internet has yielded no help. Windows says my  monitor is running at 144hz, NVidia control panel says the same. Not sure if my graphics card is the issue or what. I'm so lost. Ill list my system specs below. Any help would be greatly appreciated, please, please, please. 

My specs 

amd 3800x at 4.2ghz

32gb ram

2070 super (both monitors are plugged into my gpu, no integrated graphics on my mobo)

MSI x570 gaming plus 

Main Monitor- MSI 31.5in 144hz (MAG321cqr)  1440 native

Second monitor MSI 27in 144hz (don't have this) 1080 native

MRV

Thank you for responding. I thought the the display might be defective but like I mentioned above if I change to 120hz and back to 144 it runs fine until I shut down or reboot. IF the display is defective i imagine changing the setting s and reverting wouldn't make a difference. Using DP for both monitors so I'll try a HDMI cable. Not sure how to figure out if the power supply to the display is not stable. How would I do this?