Need Monitor Help...

Zarich

So I purchased from amazon an acer xf27hu. This is a TN monitor.  a few days later the HP 27i came in stock and was $100 at best buy and so I ordered it.. but couldn't cancel amazon.  So I got the acer and hooked it up.  No dead pixels and no light bleed though black uniformity is so so.  Colors are good enough, but things often look blown out or dull.  I can live with all that, what I am struggling to live with is the color shift from the top to the bottom.  Colors like yellow or grey are a deeper color on the top of the display and a lighter color on the bottom.  Doesn't affect games and frankly games look and play great, but does affect other stuff.  

So the HP arrives and it is sitting in the box unopened.  It is $400 and an IPS.  The acer was $270.  I was just going to return the monitor to Best buy unopened to avoid issues and save money.  I also am not sure I can stand much IPS glow.  

Now I am thinking of returning both and starting over.. because maybe the acer I got is just a bad one and a better monitor would have a better viewing angle.  I definitely cannot afford both monitors.  I also hate returning things that work just because I don't like them.  

However, I don't know what to do at this point... so I am requesting sage advice. 

12 minutes ago, Zarich said:

requesting sage advice

the correct advice is monitors are 100% subjective

We're not sitting there in your lighting situation , with your level of scrutiny , with your eyes and what they prefer. One of them will look better to you and thats the one you'll like more

And or you'll not like either and start over. Theres no correct monitor choice it's whichever you like

TN = faster response, bad color shift off angle.
IPS = slower response, IPS glow, colors don't shift off angle.
OLED = fastest response, perfect darks, no color shift off angle.

Conclusion: Get an OLED TV/Monitor.

In all seriousness, you gotta decide what you want. If IPS glow bothers you, get the TN panel and save a few bucks. If inaccurate colors bother you, keep the IPS monitor. It's 100% subjective as to where your priorities lie.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D || GPU: Gigabyte Windforce RTX 4090 || Memory: 32GB Corsair 3200mhz DDR4 || Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk || SSD1: 500 GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 (OS drive) || SSD2: 500 GB Samsung 860 EVO SATA (Cache Drive via PrimoCache) || Spinning Disks: 3 x 4TB Western Digital Blue HDD (RAID 0) || Monitor: LG CX 55" OLED TV || Sound: Schiit Stack (Modi 2/Magni 3) - Sennheiser HD 598, HiFiMan HE 400i || Keyboard: Logitech G915 TKL || Mouse: Logitech G502 Lightspeed || PSU: EVGA 1300-watt G+ PSU || Case: Fractal Design Pop XL Air

Do I open the best buy one and try it?  Is it hard to return an opened monitor to best buy?

3 hours ago, Zarich said:

I was just going to return the monitor to Best buy unopened to avoid issues and save money.

You should call and check first because some stores are not accepting returns right now.

Gaming With a 4:3 CRT

System specs below

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X with a Noctua NH-U9S cooler 
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M (Because it was cheap)
RAM: 32GB (4 x 8GB) Corsair Vengance LPX 3200Mhz CL16
GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC Blower Card
HDD: 7200RPM TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 1TB, External HDD: 5400RPM 2TB WD My Passport
SSD: 1tb Samsung 970 evo m.2 nvme
PSU: Corsair CX650M
Displays: ViewSonic VA2012WB LCD 1680x1050p @ 75Hz
Gateway VX920 CRT: 1920x1440@65Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@125Hz
Gateway VX900 CRT: 1920x1440@64Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@120Hz (Can be pushed to 175Hz)

Keyboard: Thermaltake eSPORTS MEKA PRO with Cherry MX Red switches

20 hours ago, MadPistol said:

TN = faster response, bad color shift off angle.
IPS = slower response, IPS glow, colors don't shift off angle.
OLED = fastest response, perfect darks, no color shift off angle.

Conclusion: Get an OLED TV/Monitor.

In all seriousness, you gotta decide what you want. If IPS glow bothers you, get the TN panel and save a few bucks. If inaccurate colors bother you, keep the IPS monitor. It's 100% subjective as to where your priorities lie.

if you have 5 grand to spend that is

4 minutes ago, e22big said:

if you have 5 grand to spend that is

55" LG B9 is $1300

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-55-class-oled-b9-series-2160p-smart-4k-uhd-tv-with-hdr/6360612.p?skuId=6360612

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D || GPU: Gigabyte Windforce RTX 4090 || Memory: 32GB Corsair 3200mhz DDR4 || Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk || SSD1: 500 GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 (OS drive) || SSD2: 500 GB Samsung 860 EVO SATA (Cache Drive via PrimoCache) || Spinning Disks: 3 x 4TB Western Digital Blue HDD (RAID 0) || Monitor: LG CX 55" OLED TV || Sound: Schiit Stack (Modi 2/Magni 3) - Sennheiser HD 598, HiFiMan HE 400i || Keyboard: Logitech G915 TKL || Mouse: Logitech G502 Lightspeed || PSU: EVGA 1300-watt G+ PSU || Case: Fractal Design Pop XL Air

20 hours ago, Zarich said:

Do I open the best buy one and try it?  Is it hard to return an opened monitor to best buy?

I think there's a good chance that you will be impressed with IPS monitor though, colour shift is the characteristic of a TN panel and it's probably what you get there. If I were you I'll just return both and order a new IPS on Amazon and see if I like it better. Yes, IPS glow is a thing but you will hardly notice it if sitting in front of the monitor.

400 USD isn't just average price for IPS, pretty sure you can more or less get other model at similar price from Amazon (unless there's somethign spesific about this HP model that you really like)

8 minutes ago, e22big said:

it's a TV, not the samething imo

not only it's too big to be used like a normal desktop monitor, no DP port, and input lag is just about the same as IPS and VA monitor

• GSYNC
  • 4k@120hz
  • 1440p@120hz
  • 1080p@120hz
  • HDMI 2.1 support
  • Near instantaneous pixel response
  • input lag inline with other 120/144hz monitors

It's big, for sure, but I'd argue that it's actually superior to most monitors out there simply because it doesn't have the pixel smear or overshoot that a lot of LCD panels have, especially high performance TN and IPS monitors. Not to mention it's OLED, so colors are nearly perfect and blacks are perfect.

For reference, my previous monitor was a 1440p144hz gsync dell monitor. I wouldn't be using a CX 55" as a monitor if it wasn't superior in virtually every way.

On 6/5/2020 at 10:05 PM, MadPistol said:
  • GSYNC
  • 4k@120hz
  • 1440p@120hz
  • 1080p@120hz
  • HDMI 2.1 support
  • Near instantaneous pixel response
  • input lag inline with other 120/144hz monitors

It's big, for sure, but I'd argue that it's actually superior to most monitors out there simply because it doesn't have the pixel smear or overshoot that a lot of LCD panels have, especially high performance TN and IPS monitors. Not to mention it's OLED, so colors are nearly perfect and blacks are perfect.

For reference, my previous monitor was a 1440p144hz gsync dell monitor. I wouldn't be using a CX 55" as a monitor if it wasn't superior in virtually every way.

For a price, it's better be - I can actually understood the appeal though, OLED is suprior to LCD in a lot of way but you would have to want that monitor for a deeper black and wide colour gamut performance, not the input lag. It's pretty good honestly and shoud be suffice for most people but no where near the 1 - 5 ms response time of the high performance IPS or TN (in a way it's closer to the modern low input lag 4k panel.) 

Personally I see the lack of a DP port and especially size to be a major issue. It's fine to use a TV as monitor if your room can accomodate its foot print and you use it primarily for content consumption and gaming - it's less than ideal if you have to performa a desktop task on it for a long period of time. HDR also tend to have more issue than normal with HDMI on Windows which defeat the purpose of getting a wide gamut OLED display.

I can't wait for the OLED display to become more accessible but for now I would stick to a normal LCD.