5Ghz Wifi causing sleeping disorders?

DotMatrix

Hello everyone! :)
I'm an IT guy for a long time.. watching Linus doing crazy things since the NCIX :)
So one question... I have a new born which is 24 days old and something I noticed... 
She was sleeping nice and without any problems (other than usual)... 

Then I bought a 5GHz extender from TP Link (brand does not matter).. but..
When I configured everything... since then baby could not sleep well and was struggling to sleep (A LOT!)
I had no idea what is happening.. then I started looking.. what have I changed... food, room, lightning, fabric softener...
What, what...

No idea.. after 6-8 hours of thinking and trying everything.. she still is not able to sleep for longer than 3-10 minutes..not normal..

Then... I got crazy I just turned off the extender (in the next room,behind a thick (40cm) concrete wall..)...
After 2 minutes.. baby is sleeping normally.. and sleeping for last 13 hours (I'm barely able to wake her up after 3h to feed her.... because she is so tired..)..

So.. did anyone else notice problems with 5GHz? I'm even scared to use 2.4 now :D

I totally get where you're coming from, but I wouldn't be too concerned. We as humans tend to notice when things happen coincidentally, and draw the conclusion that the two things must be related. This, in many cases, just isn't true. As far as I'm aware, there is no significant evidence to show that 5G is harmful. However, in your situation, I wouldn't blame you if you decided that you weren't comfortable with the tech and wanted to hold off on using it till it's been out for a while. After all, you got a kid to worry about. 

average fl studio fan vs average cubase enjoyer

rubber dome apologist

if you are reading this you are contracted the gae

Sure, she had her struggles.. but this was like she wants to sleep.. but something wakes her up.. no bowl problems, no breathing problems, well fed... etc..
then when you turn off the damn wifi.. she sleeps after 2 minutes... :D like a baby :D

and sleeps normally for next 10-13 hours... 
We will see after few days.. but I'm scared to "test out" my theory on the baby.. 

They claim that it can actually cause "ear white noise" to some people who have sensitive hearing..

p.s. for example I personally had a LED bulb for the standard lamp housing (some cheap stuff)... I heard the pitch noise like someone was scratching by head... and I was looking what the f... was it :D for weeks... moved to another room.. everything is fine.. I come back.. it gets me crazy... then killed the light.. I don't hear it :D it was the transformer inside the LED bulb... fun thing, nobody else was hearing it.. except me :D I changed to more expensive bulb.. all fine since then :D  but yeah.. it did scratch my ear drums :)

your phone radiation is nothing but like a small ant in your room wont hurt, but Several phones using 5G wifi would be harmful A bit or not.

And Don't think about sleeping when you go to sleep you wont sleep at all, just keep thinking about something till you get tired.

Pancakes and Hell 🥞 , @Naul so i can notice ^^.

Spoiler

Demon girls are Cute! 

-

-

Helltaker is a good game Click >> here << if you want to see.

@Naul I have 28 Wifi devices connected through entire house :D (5 TVs, 6 phones, 5 laptops, some storage, mini server.. etc) :D 

Just now, DotMatrix said:

@Naul I have 28 Wifi devices connected through entire house :D (5 TVs, 6 phones, 5 laptops, some storage, mini server.. etc) :D 

It's better to turn off your Router before sleeping if you don't want to waste some radiation in your house :/

I do that always so i won't worry about KB being wastes in hours.

Spoiler

Demon girls are Cute! 

-

-

As a father of two, I can tell you that little ones sleeping patterns change from time to time.  I highly doubt it is because of a wifi signal.  

When people talk about white noise, they are referring to things like the sound of radio static.  The sort when a radio is tuned between radio stations, and all you can hear is a "ssshhhhh" sound.  It should not be loud, just nice and soft.  The reason it works is because it simulates the sound of blood moving in the mothers body.

The best piece of advice that I can give you, is some that was given to me.  Really love the mother.  

I have found that the happier and less stressed the mother is, the happier the baby is.  They feed on each others anxiety.  Help her out were ever you can. 

12 minutes ago, DotMatrix said:

They claim that it can actually cause "ear white noise" to some people who have sensitive hearing..

Wi-Fi is an electromagnetic wave and not something your ears can pick up, no matter the frequency. To be able to hear it, it needs to be an acoustic wave (i.e. moving air molecules).

It's certainly possible your baby is hearing noise coming from some electrical component of the device itself. That has no relation to Wi-Fi, 5 GHz or otherwise. This is purely a byproduct of some electrical component in the device emitting sound (e.g. "coil whine").

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

@savstars Yeah I agree with loving mother etc.. we are not stressing out and forcing that to the baby.. we are keeping it calm and just trying to help and talk nice,calm, play with her.. However in this situation baby has not slept for 19 hours... that's a long time for a new born..  I was scared that something was simply wrong as that's a long time even for an adult to go without sleeping.. her best record was 8 minutes... then 2 hours of crying like something is wrong.. then 3 minutes.. and again 2-3 hours crying..

Time will tell :) I will keep the 5ghz off and see if the problem comes up in next 10 days...

Have you tried going for a drive, or a walk?  They put my boys to sleep almost every time.  It still works on my 7 year old, if the drive is long enough.

@DotMatrix
I can tell you one thing: It wasn't the 5 GHz Wifi. Could have been a colic.

7 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

It's certainly possible your baby is hearing noise coming from some electrical component of the device itself. That has no relation to Wi-Fi, 5 GHz or otherwise. This is purely a byproduct of some electrical component in the device emitting sound (e.g. "coil whine").

This is a valid point. Especially Infants (children in general) can hear much higher frequencies than adults. So even you wouldn't notice a thing the extender might screak somewhere around 20 kHz. Nevertheless I doubt it because higher frequencies will be dampened by walls quite effective.

22 minutes ago, Naul said:

It's better to turn off your Router before sleeping if you don't want to waste some radiation in your house :/

Your router still emits the signal in a specific pattern, regardless of 1 device or 28 devices. 
How Wi-Fi Works

3 minutes ago, P3rfectLIVE said:

Your router still emits the signal in a specific pattern, regardless of 1 device or 28 devices. 
How Wi-Fi Works

DAMN, those myths, thanks buddy for showing me the light :( 

Spoiler

Demon girls are Cute! 

-

-

1 hour ago, Naul said:

It may actually cost you more in the long run as these devices are designed to be left on and the constant power surge and heating/cooling cycle from powering it on and off can stress the PSU or router itself.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

3 hours ago, P3rfectLIVE said:

How Wi-Fi Works

yes but you are forgetting the issue that those devices are communicating and sending data back in some cases.. but overall yes it's true..
However for example.. keep in mind microwave oven works at 2.45GHz.. with much more power and focused signal.. but still :) 

Se the AP as a microwave, except the power transmitted from the AP is about 4000  times weaker than your normal microwave if you would hold your head against the AP (this is if the AP is going full blast of what's allowed, the real number is probably more towards 15000-40000 times weaker). 

Your baby is not disturbed by the wifi, but is more acting like a normal baby (I'm glad I'm past the baby point, I will never have another kid even if I like the ones I have now)

7 hours ago, DotMatrix said:

yes but you are forgetting the issue that those devices are communicating and sending data back in some cases.. but overall yes it's true..
However for example.. keep in mind microwave oven works at 2.45GHz.. with much more power and focused signal.. but still :) 

If you worry that WiFi being on the same frequency as a microwave oven is harmful, then you'd better start worrying about light bulbs as they output the same frequency as lasers.

And the number of devices that output infra-red, enough of that will burn you.

When its none-ionising radiation its all about the intensity, not the frequency.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

17 hours ago, WubGuy said:

I totally get where you're coming from, but I wouldn't be too concerned. We as humans tend to notice when things happen coincidentally, and draw the conclusion that the two things must be related. This, in many cases, just isn't true. As far as I'm aware, there is no significant evidence to show that 5G is harmful. However, in your situation, I wouldn't blame you if you decided that you weren't comfortable with the tech and wanted to hold off on using it till it's been out for a while. After all, you got a kid to worry about. 

Just an FYI, 5 GHz WIFI and “5G” are totally different things. The only thing in common is that they are both radio waves. I know it can get confusing since some people use the terms interchangeably or incorrectly. 

To the OP: this is your baby being a baby. There is zero evidence that routers of any kind cause sleep disturbances- regardless of the age of the occupants. 

WIFI is harmless and isn’t the cause of your baby’s sleep issues. 

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

19 hours ago, DotMatrix said:

So.. did anyone else notice problems with 5GHz? I'm even scared to use 2.4 now :D

FACT: With how I had my room configured before, my WiFi antenna from my computer literally would pass data thru my skull every night when I went to bed. I have no issues. The WiFi router is now in my room, again, NO issues. Please for the LOVE OF GOD, don't turn in to one of those Tin Foil hat people. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.