Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Deciding on Ryzen motherboard, already had one bad experiance

Budget: $400 CAD (For just the Motherboard)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Blender, Photoshop, Krita. Game wise: Titianfall 2, Destiny 2

Other details
Already have on hand:
Seasonic 760w Platinum PSU.

4TB WD HDD
1TB WD HDD
120gb Samsung Evo SSD
250 Samsung Evo SSD
GTX 980ti
Ryzen 3600
Corsair V. LPX 2x8gb 3200 Kit

Reason for upgrade: Increasing compatibility issues with 10 year old Phenom II system. Overclocks can only get you so far when Youtube decoding uses 80% of the CPU.
Most of my builds have been based on used platforms, so It's been "If the motherboard has lasted the last 10, 9, 8 years, it's probably fine still" and years worth of forum posts on the boards. it's a bit overwhelming going into this without years of information.

The plan is to eventually replace the 3600 with a much higher end Ryzen 4XXX near the end of that product stacks life cycle.

Short story: I bought the X570 AORUS ELITE, based on youtube reviews. My past experience with Gigabyte motherboards has been not good, this time proved that I still have bad luck with their products: one Sata port would lock the system if used and all other SATA drives where throwing errors when reading from them (Fresh windows install too). Looking around online, the board has not great reviews: 26% of reviews are 1 star on this board, and there's a repeated cropping up of issues with the SATA (And the RGB apparently causing crashes/stutter??) Returned it less then 24 hours after purchase.

So I'm looking for a different motherboard. I've had a great experience with the Asus Crosshair IV Formula on the old Phenom II, and was tending towards their products again. I keep looking at the Asus Prime x570-Pro, because it has a goodly amount of fan headers, and I'd put the $40 into the board then a Fanhub (My existing fans are DC, not PWM, so I would need a more expensive fan controller for motherboard control.)

But here's the thing. there's no stock for AM4 boards where I am, so I have to wait anyways. B550 is around the corner. So here are two questions:
How bad is the teething issues on the PCI-e Gen4 on x57o and Would it be more stable on the B550?
Would a higher end B550 board be a better option then a Mid-grade x570 board?

9 hours ago, boggy77 said:

I doubt it.

i'd go for an asus x570 once they are in stock again.

There's some weirdness in the product stack is why I was asking. The upcoming Asus B550-F STRIX is stated to have BIOS flashback and 2.5Gb Ethernet for example, but the Twice as expensive Prime X570-Pro has neither.

6 hours ago, lee32uk said:

Wait for B550 or see if you can find the MSI X570 Tomahawk for pre-order. Some people in the UK already have the Tomahawk board so it should be available really soon.

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/WKdrxr/msi-mag-x570-tomahawk-wifi-atx-am4-motherboard-mag-x570-tomahawk-wifi

I mean, the 2.5Gb LAN is a definite plus there. Plus I do like that the MSI board put the Chipset fan lower.... Looking at reviews for that board, it does seem almost too good to be true, I'd been avoiding MSI after, you know, the whole AM3 boards catching on fire debacle, and their initial x570 offerings had reinforced that outlook, but this seems really good.

1 minute ago, Mothballs said:

There's some weirdness in the product stack is why I was asking. The upcoming Asus B550-F STRIX is stated to have BIOS flashback and 2.5Gb Ethernet for example, but the Twice as expensive Prime X570-Pro has neither.

I mean, the 2.5Gb LAN is a definite plus there. Plus I do like that the MSI board put the Chipset fan lower.... Looking at reviews for that board, it does seem almost too good to be true, I'd been avoiding MSI after, you know, the whole AM3 boards catching on fire debacle, and their initial x570 offerings had reinforced that outlook, but this seems really good.

This might help to convince you.

Winter is Coming.

1 hour ago, lee32uk said:

This might help to convince you.

That is pretty tempting, and the rest of the Feature set seems really good. If it shows up soon (Within the month) here I'll take it over the Asus Pro.